REF Spartan Mk XIV (REF Three Galaxies):
As might be expected, the REF in the Three Galaxies found it easier to develop modified versions of their Mecha designs instead of developing all new designs. The Spartan design had the virtue of being a relatively simple Mecha and there is virtually always a need for long range missile support. Due to this, a modified version of the Spartan incorporating new technology was quickly developed. Initially, a number of REF Spartans were simply equipped with more armor and new missile launchers but they have been since retired. Of course, some consider the designs dependency on missiles to be a major weakness. As well, many consider the design to not be as flexible as designs such as the Gladiator and Excaliber. While they do not have the glamour of the Veritech fighters or the Excaliber or Gladiator, they are considered an important aspect of ground forces and is greatly valued by troops. As well, the design is less expensive to manufacture than more complex designs. The design is considered useful in the roles of long range support and long range defense. Forty long range missile is enough to give fighters pause when attacking locations protected by the walking missile platform.
While some designs external appearance is greatly changed compared to their original design, the external appearance of the REF Spartan is much like the standard Sentinel model of the Mecha. The design even still has a strong resemblance to the original RDF model of the Spartan. The main external changes are the replacement of the search lights with a powerful sensor array replacing the spotlight array. Due to the extended range of the long range missiles, up to almost three million kilometers in space, the platform mounts a sensor array equal to those mounted on most large starfighters instead of the civilian standard systems which are often mounted on ground robots. The other modification is the addition of a light pulse laser mount in an automated turret above the central sensor system. Otherwise, the design only has some minor cosmetic styling differences compared to the original REF Spartan.
The Mk XIV version of the Spartan has all the standard equipment for a REF Mecha and has all of the standard equipment for robot vehicles operated within the Three Galaxies as well. This is in addition to the powerful long range sensors mounted in the modified version of the REF Spartan. Fusion systems are far less expensive than protoculture based power systems and the modified Spartan uses a powerful micro fusion reactor for power and uses only protoculture in the control systems to increase reaction speed. While lighter armored than designs used in front line battle, the armor has been increased greatly compared to the original REF Spartan. There was no real consideration given to mounting a force field for additional protections. The long range missile launchers have the same capacity as the original launchers but have a far greater range and can carry much greater missile payload. The mini-missile launcher is retained and it has been modified to be able to carry about twice as many mini-missiles. It has also been modified to fire advanced mini-missiles which can have powered ranges up to 160 kilometers in space. Because of the perceived weakness of the Spartan, a light pulse laser turret was mounted above the main sensor system. It can operate fully autonomously if the pilot needs to concentrate on plotting for the long range missiles. While the mecha retains the arms of the original REF model, it is still not considered capable in Hand to Hand fighting.
Model Type: Spartan MK-XIV
Vehicle Type: Destroid
Crew: One or Two
M.D.C. by location:
|Light Pulse Laser Mount (Above Sensor Array):||100|
| High Powered Sensor Array:||225|
|Shoulder Joints (2):||200|
|Long Range Missile Pods:||250|
|Mini-Missile Launcher (Internal):||125|
|Lower "Jaw" of Mini-Missile Launcher:||250|
|Retractable Hands (2):||100 each|
|Legs (2):||325 each|
| Main Body:||650|
|Reinforced Pilots Compartment||300|
 Depleting the M.D.C. of the sensor array will knock out all long range sensors.
 Depleting the M.D.C. of the main body will shut the mecha down completely, rendering it useless. Note: Lasers inflict half damage.
Running: 70 mph (112.7 kph) maximum with a cruising speed of about 35 mph (56.3 kph). Unlike power armors, running does no tire out the operator.
Jumping: 40 feet (12.2 meters) lengthwise or 20 feet (6.1 meters) up.
Climbing: Is possible but is awkward. The pilot has a climb skill of 20%+3% per level of the pilot. The pilot gets a 6% bonus is they have the climbing skill.
Underwater: The Spartan can walk along the bottom of the sea floor at 25% of maximum speed.
Maximum Ocean Depth: 2 mile (3.2 km)
Maximum Effective Range: Limited only by the pilot's endurance. Emergency food and air supply will keep the pilot alive for a week.
Height: 29 feet 4 inches (8.9 meters).
Width: 20 feet (6.1 meters).
Length: 16 feet 4 inches (5.0 meters)
Weight: 36.8 tons (33.4 metric tons) fully loaded.
Physical Strength: Equal to Robotic P.S. 50
Power System: Advanced Fusion (25 Years). Uses one protoculture cells for special systems (100 Year Duration), mainly control systems only. The protoculture system has a special anti-tampering device.
Cargo: Minimal space is available in the pilots compartment, but there is a 5 ft x 5 ft x 3 ft space behind cockpit
Market Cost: Not Sold, If found it would probably be worth 60 million for a new, undamaged, and fully operation Mecha complete with weapons.
- HR-500 Pulse Laser Mount: Basically just the laser system from HI-300 Infantry Support Laser mounted in a low profile turret above the main sensor array of the platform. Power for the weapon system is pulled from the mecha's fusion reactor and has effectively unlimited shots. The weapon is mostly designed as a last ditch defense system against incoming missiles but can be used against attacking infantry in emergency. The weapon can be controlled autonomously by the Spartan's powerful computer or can be controlled by one of the crew members. Most crews keep the weapons on automatic and When set on independent fire setting, the mount has +3 to strike and has 5 attacks per melee.
- Missile Pod Arms (2): Instead of normal arms, the Spartan mounts a long range missile "battery" with the ability to carry twenty long range missiles each for a total of forty long range missiles. The launchers can no longer carry medium range missiles instead of long range missiles. The launchers are heavily armored and can withstand huge amounts of damage before being destroyed. The missile launchers can either be controlled by the pilot or by the second crew member if present. Special sublight missiles are used in place of conventional missiles. Missile has a top speed of Mach 20 in an atmosphere and in space has an acceleration of 8% of light per turn (faster than any starship.) Whether weapons can be shot down is calculated from the speed of target, launcher, and missile. When drive goes dead, missile will continue to travel in a straight line unless set to self destruct but has very low odds of hitting star ships (Great for hitting bases and planets because target does not move and missile when dead at -25% to detect.) Long range missiles do not have minuses to hit small targets unlike cruise missiles and are all considered smart missiles. Each battery can launch on multiple targets each.
- GR-101 Mini Missile Launcher: The launcher is mounted in the lower part of the head like portion of the mecha and is designed to give short range firepower. The system automatically reloads when missiles are fired and can fire volleys from one missiles to twenty-four mini- missiles. The missile launchers can either be controlled by the pilot or by the second crew member if present. Missile has a top speed of Mach 10 in an atmosphere and in space has an acceleration of 2% of light per turn (slightly faster than any starship except if it is acceding it maximum safe acceleration.)
- Optional Hand to Hand: Treat as the same as the original hand to hand combat except increase the damages as listed.
Maximum Effective Range: 4,000 feet (1,220 meters) in an atmosphere and 75 miles (120 km) in space.
Mega-Damage: 6D6+6 per single shot, 2D6x10+20 for a rapid fire three shot burst, or use machine gun burst rules for higher burst setting.
Rate of Fire: Equal the gunners' number of hand to hand attacks or by computer (+3 to strike and has 5 attacks)
Payload: Effectively unlimited.
Maximum Effective Range: Long Range Missile range is 3,400 miles (5,470 km) in an atmosphere and 1,800,000 miles (2,897,000 km/9.7 light seconds) in space.
Mega-Damage & Properties: See revised Phase World Missile Chart (Fusion warheads inflict 2D4x100 M.D.C. each.)
Rate of Fire: Can fire missiles one at a time or in volleys of 2, 4, 6, 8, or 10. The number of volleys a character can fire is equal to his combined hand to hand attacks per melee. One volley counts as one attack regardless of number of missiles.
Payload: 40 total, 20 long range missiles per launcher.
Maximum Effective Range: Mini-Missile range is 2 miles (3.2 km) in an atmosphere and 100 miles (161 km) in space.
Mega Damage: As per Mini-Missile Type (See revised Phase World missile tables for details.)
Rate of Fire: Can fire missiles one at a time or in volleys of 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12, or 24. Remember, one volley counts as one attack regardless of the number of missile.
Payload: Forty-Eight (48) mini missiles with a total of 192 mini-missiles with reloads.
- Restrained Punch: 2D6 M.D.
Full Strength Punch: 3D6 M.D.
Power Punch: 6D6 M.D.
Stomp: 2D6 M.D.
Body Block /Ram: 4D6 M.D.
Sensors & Equipment:
Has all the normal sensors and equipment of power armors and armored vehicles in the Three Galaxies plus the following special features.
- Long Range Sensor Suite: Carries sensor systems more typical on a heavy star fighter. Use ranges for systems of large star ships except neutrino sensors and does not mount the systems to track the disturbance caused by most star ships traveling at faster than light velocities. The mecha also has an advanced targeting computer.
[ Brodkil TM, Bushido Industries TM, CAF TM, Catyr TM, CCW TM, Consortium of Civilized Worlds TM, Free Worlds Council TM, Gene Splicers TM, K-Hex TM, Kittani TM, Kreeghor TM, Machine People TM, M.D.C. TM, Mega-Damage TM, M’Kri Hardware TM, Monro TM, Mutants in Orbit TM, Naruni Enterprises TM, Noro TM, Paradise Federation TM, Phase World TM, Rifter TM, SAMAS TM, S.D.C. TM, Seljuks TM, Splugorth TM, Trans-Galactic Empire TM, Tri-Galactic Military Service TM, United Worlds Warlock TM, U.W.W. TM, Wolfen TM, and Zembahk TM are trademarks owned by Kevin Siembieda and Palladium Books Inc. ]
[ Beyond the Supernatural®, Heroes Unlimited®, Nightbane®, Ninjas & Superspies®, Palladium Fantasy®, and Rifts® are registered trademarks owned by Kevin Siembieda and Palladium Books Inc. ]
[ Macross®, Robotech®, Robotech: Sentinels®, SDF-1®, Southern Cross®, and Zentraedi® are registered trademarks owned and licensed by Harmony Gold USA, Inc. ]
Writeup by Kitsune (E-Mail Kitsune).
Copyright © 2005, Kitsune. All rights reserved.