REF Super Cyclone (REF Three Galaxies):
In most ships in the Three Galaxies, most marines are in unpowered body armor with only about ten percent or so of the compliment being in power armors. In combat that involved boarding actions or assault landings, the huge number of cyclones on each ship have given REF ships an advantage. The leaders did not want to give up that advantage and there were modifications that could be made to cyclones even more effective so a new generation of cyclone was developed. While these cyclones look very close to the original model but internally, many changes have been made. The new cyclone is called the Super Cyclone and comes in the Light, Standard, and Saber Models. Super Cyclones are manufactured on the SDF-6 class starships, the shipyards in the New Tirol system, and in the secret factory. Destroids are still produced but Super Cyclones do the majority of the ground fighting for the REF. Support for the Cyclones is from both Destroids and new model Glitterboys.
The modifications run to virtually all systems of the Cyclone. The cyclone no longer relies on just protoculture and the new main power system is a very efficient micro fusion system. The power armor still does carry one protoculture cell but it is used to increase the cyclones response time and no longer powers the armor directly. The jet thrusters have been replaced by a contra-grav flight system. The system allows the cyclone to fly faster and is silent. While the power armor is not designed for deep space use, it is actually trans-atmospheric. The sensors have been updated and are equal to those on military grade power armors operated within the Three Galaxies. This coupled with the power armor having a gravity wave sensor makes it very efficient as a sensor platform and hard to be hidden from. In addition, the Super Cyclone has a camouflage system similar to those mounted on Naruni stealth armor and the Silverhawk power armor. These systems make the power armor an excellent for stealth and scout missions. For protection, the armor is stronger than the original versions and it is protected by a powerful force field. The weapon system is the final area of upgrade, the chest mini-missile launcher back has been eliminated and instead a micro-missile pack is carried. The switching to micro-missiles has allowed even the light cyclone to carry missiles. It carries 48 micro-missile and the Battler and Saber models carry 72 micro-missiles total. The RL-6 has been eliminated from the standard for a light cyclone and cannot be carried. The forearm weapon systems still use mini-missiles but the advanced phase world missiles are used in place of just plasma warheads. On the Saber Cyclone the blades have been replaced by a material similar to that used on the power halberd and the weapon inflicts even greater damage. One problem was the lack of an energy weapons and several ideas were envisioned. The solution was to put an energy rifle weapon in the same place as the RL-6 was on the Light Cyclone in motorcycle mode. This swings onto the shoulder when the cyclone converts to battloid mode.
|Model Type:||VR-038-LT-XL||Light Combat Cyclone|
M.D.C. by Location:
|Storage Box (2):||5 each|
|Contra-Grav Thrust System (Rear):||90|
| Main Body:||275 (225 for VR-038-LT-II)|
|Tires (2, mounted behind shoulders):||10 each|
|Contra-Grav Thrust System (Rear, Lower Back):||90|
|Forearm Shields/GR/EP-97P/CADS-2 (2):||100 each (CADS-1L non-powered)|
|Legs (2):||150 each|
| Head:||80 or 120|
| Main Body:||275 (225 for VR-038-LT-II)|
| Force Field:||160|
 Destroying the Head/Helmet will eliminate all forms of optical enhancement and sensory systems. No power armor combat bonuses to strike, parry, and dodge. Damage is based on if base armor is CVR-3, CVR-3B, or CVR-3C. Note: Head is a difficult target to hit and is a called shot and is -3 to strike.
 Depleting the M.D.C. of the main body will shut the mecha down completely, rendering it useless. Pilot has an emergency release to escape immobilized armor. Remember, pilot is riding CVR-3 Body Armor underneath. Note: the VR-038-LT-II Light Combat Cyclone has a reduced main body of 225.
 The force field will stop energy attacks and fast moving objects. Slow moving objects can pass through. The force field regenerates one (1) M.D.C. per melee round unless overloaded and then cannot be activated for 12 hours if overloaded. The force field pulls its power off of the power plant.
Motorcycle Mode: 210 mph (336 kph) maximum. Typical cruising is around 80 mph (128 kph). Can handle rough terrain at great speeds due to reinforced body. Using contra-grav flight systems enables the motorcycle to make leaps of up to 80 ft (24.4 m) across and up to 40 ft (12.2 m) into the air.
Battloid Mode, Running: 60 mph (96 kph) maximum. Running does tire out the operator but at 5% of normal fatigue rate due to the robot exo-skeleton and contra-grav system.
Battloid Mode, Leaping: Powerful legs of the Cyclone can leap 20 feet (6.1 m) up or across unassisted by using contra-grav system. The contra grav jet pack enables the power armor lo leap a height of approximately 100 feet (30 m) high or 600 feet (183 m) long in a power jump.
Battloid Mode, Flying: The contra-grav propulsion system enables the armor hover in a stationary at any altitude and fly at a maximum speed of 200 mph (320 kph). The contra-grav system makes the armor trans- atmospheric and armor can accelerate at up to 0.5 Gs of acceleration.
Underwater: It can walk along the bottom of the sea floor at 25% of maximum speed. The Quinlin Rau can also use its thrusters to travel up to a maximum speed of 100 mph (160 km)
Maximum Ocean Depth: 2 mile (3.2 km)
Maximum Effective Range: The Armors range is virtually unlimited. Unlike the original thrusters, the Contra-Grav system does not overheat. The only limit is the pilots endurance.
Height: Battloid Mode: 7 feet (2.1 m)
Motorcycle Mode: 3.6 feet (1.09 m)
Width: Battloid Mode: 3.4 feet (1.03 m)
Motorcycle Mode: 1.6 feet (0.5 m)
Length: Battloid Mode: 3.1 feet (0.9 m)
Motorcycle Mode: 5 feet (1.5 m)
Weight: VR-052-XL Battler Cyclone and VR-041-XL Saber Cyclone is 225 lbs (102.1 kg) and VR-038-LT-XL Light Combat Cyclone is 135 lbs (61.2 kg) all three are without missiles or non integral weapon systems.
Physical Strength: Equal to a Robotic P.S. 40 (P.S. 30 for VR-038-LT-XL)
Power System: Micro Fusion and Protoculture. Micro Fusion with Fifteen (15) year duration. Has one (1) Protoculture Cell that will support protoculture based systems for about 100 years or will support cyclone completely for about two months. Frequent use of flight or of hovering will drain protoculture cell two times faster if relying on protoculture cell.
Cargo: Can carry cargo in storage boxes or an extra passenger. Can carry up to 250 lbs (113 kg) without reducing speed of Cyclone. For every 50 lbs (22 kg) reduce speed by 20% and gets a -1 to dodge. Storage boxes and passengers drop off cyclone when it transforms.
Black Market Cost: Not Sold, If found it would probably be worth 3 million (2 million for VR-038-LT-II Light Combat Cyclone) or more for a new, undamaged, and fully operational power armor.
- MCM-10A & MCM-10B Micro Missile Launchers (2): Instead of mounting mini-missile launchers, the Super Cyclone mounts micro missiles. This enables the cyclone to carry far more missiles and enables to light cyclone to have chest missile launchers as well. The model in the Battler and Saber cuclone is the MCM-10A and in the light cyclone, the launcher is the MCM-10B and has a slightly smaller payload. In motorcycle mode, the missile launcher systems are side by side in the nose of the cycle. In battloid mode, the missile launchers are divided, with one on each side of the chest/shoulder area.
- Forearm Weapons (2):
- GR/EP-97P Forearm Missile Launcher (Optional, 2): Standard Issue on the VR-052-XL Battler Cyclone and VR-038-LT-XL Light Combat Cyclone but not on the VR-041-XL Saber Cyclone although it can be outfitted at expense to the CADS II system. Similar to original GR-97 but can use any type of mini missile and uses the more advanced missiles available in phase world.Missile has a top speed of Mach 10 in an atmosphere and in space has an acceleration of 2% of light per turn (slightly faster than any starship except if it is acceding it maximum safe acceleration)
- CADS-1L "Warsabre CADS" (Optional, 2): Standard Issue on the VR-041-XL Saber Cyclone but not standard for the VR-052-XL Battler Cyclone and VR-038-LT-XL Light Combat Cyclone but it can be outfitted at expense to the GR-97L Arm shields. Due to the fact that VR-052-XL Battler Cyclone uses the same support systems as the VR-041-XL Saber Cyclone, the CADS-1L system cause no reductions but the VR-038-LT-XL Light Combat Cyclone does suffer from its maximum speed being reduced by 25%. CADS stands for Close Assault and Defense System. Marked upgrade from the original CADS-1 system due to the need to inflict increased damage. This is done by using a saber blade similar to the blade used for the power halberd. Frequent use of weapons will drain protoculture backup three times faster than normal if only using protoculture. The M.D.C. of unactivated CADS-1L is 100 but is unlimited when forcefield is activated and protects both blades and forearm. In addition to upgrading blade, weapon also has a short range double barrel Particle Beam mounted on shield. In motorcycle mode, are stored in the base of the front wheel.
- Pulse Laser Cannon: In motorcycle mode this weapon is mounted in the same place the RL-6 is in a standard light cyclone and in battloid mode is mounted on the shoulder of the Cyclone. The weapon is a modified version of the CAF HI-300 infantry support laser rifle. It is both powerful and compact and plugs into the power armors power supply eliminating the need of an external power pack or E-Clip.
- Energy Rifles, Other Cyclone systems: Uses these and other normal weapons or light rail guns may be used as a backup weapon or in case of emergency. Normal for original cyclone was the Gallant H-90 Multi-Weapon System. Now normally issued an GR-15AR Gravitic Rail gun due to the fact that the weapon effects targets that are impervious to energy. This can include The CADS-1 system from the VR-041, The EP-37 60mm Beam Cannon, the EP-40 40mm Pulse Beam Cannon, Missile Launcher Sidecar, and any other handheld weapon or rail gun.
- Hand-to-Hand Combat: Rather than use a weapon, Pilot can engage in mega-damage hand to hand combat. Damages have been increased to equal to their robotic strength. Restrained punch inflicts 1D4 M.D.C. (1D4 M.D.C.), Full strength Punch inflicts 2D6 M.D.C. (1D6 M.D.C.), Power Punch inflicts 4D6 M.D.C. (2D6 M.D.C.), Kick inflicts 2D4 M.D.C. (1D6 M.D.C.), Leap Kick inflicts 3D6 M.D.C. (2D6 M.D.C.), Body Flip inflicts 1D4 M.D.C. (1D4 M.D.C.), and Body Block inflicts 1D4 (1D4 M.D.C.). Parenthesis () are for the damage of VR-038-LT-II Light Combat Cyclone. The Super Cyclone is even more responsive than the original Cyclone and has a bonus of +2 to strike with long range weapons, +1 to parry and dodge, and +2 to automatic leap dodge in addition to the bomuses fore Cyclone combat/basic training on page 57 of Robotech: The Sentinels. The VR-038-LT-II Light Combat Cyclone also gets all the bonuses for the VR-038-LT Light Combat Cyclone from the same page.
Maximum Effective Range: As per missile type (1 miles unguided missiles / 2 miles guided missiles). Using modified rules, multiply ranges by eight times in space
Mega Damage: 6D6 per micro-missile.
Rate of Fire: Can fire missiles one at a time or in volleys of two (2), four (4), eight (8), twelve (12), twenty-four (24), or forty-eight (48) missiles. Can be fired equal to the pilots combined hand to hand (usually 5 or 6).
Payload: Battler and Saber Cyclone: 36 micro missiles per launcher for a total of 72 micro-missiles. Light Cyclone: 24 micro missiles per launcher for a total of 48 micro-missiles.
Maximum Effective Range: Mini-Missile range is 2 miles (3.2 km) in an atmosphere and 100 miles (161 km) in space.
Mega Damage: As per Missile Type (See revised Phase World missile tables for details.)
Rate of Fire: Can fire missiles one at a time or volleys of 2 or 4.
Payload: Two (2) per forearm for four (4) mini-missiles total.
Maximum Effective Range: Close combat only (Hand to hand)
Mega-Damage: Slash; 1D6x10 (1D4x10), Punch; 2D4x10+10 (1D6x10), or Power Punch; 4D4x10+20 (2D6x10) [Counts as 2 attacks], including Cyclones strength. Unpowered blade inflicts 2D6 S.D.C. + strength bonuses but if not wielded by cyclone, wielder is at -10 to strike and parry. Parenthesis () are for the damage of VR-038-LT-II Light Combat Cyclone.
Number of Attacks: Equal to number of combined hand to hand (Usually 5 or 6).
Payload: Tied to power supply so duration is effectively unlimited.
Special Bonuses: Adds +2 to parry in hand to hand and enables wielder to attempt to parry/block energy blasts at -3 (But Bonuses may be added)
Weight: 18.5 lbs (8.4 kg).
Mega Damage: 6D6+6 per single shot, 2D6x10+20 for a rapid fire three shot burst, or use machine gun burst rules for higher burst setting.
Rate of Fire: Single Shot, Three Round Burst, and Extended Bursts (Use Machine Gun burst rules).
Maximum Effective Range: 4,000 feet (1,220 meters) in an atmosphere. Range is eight times normal when used in space.
Payload: Effectively Unlimited.
Sensor System of Note:
Has all the standard sensors of Three Galaxies power armors plus the following special systems.
- Camouflage System: The suit's skin is covered by a fiber-optic
material that can change colors to match the general environment. Color
change takes 1D4 melee rounds (15 to 60 seconds), in which the armor becomes
the exact same color as the predominant one in the area. In the woods or
in broken terrain, the suit will also create stripes and blotches of lighter
and darker color like a camouflage pattern. In all cases, the wearer is
difficult to spot: -20% for others to detect ambush and detect concealment,
+5% to the wearers prowl skill, and even characters without prowl have
a 40% chance of not being seen if they stay under cover and don't move.
The system also masks infrared and thermal emissions, making the wearer's heat invisible to infrared and thermal optics! There is only a 21% chance of the suit showing up on thermal systems and even then the reading/image will seem unusual. The camouflage system is disabled after the armor's main body takes 200 points of damage.
- Gravity Wave Sensor: Similar to sensor system in PA E-1000 Enforcer. System uses gravity waves like a form of radar. Range is 2000 ft (610 m) and can electronically map the insides of structures. Combined with thermographics, will also detect invisible targets and find people inside building or ships, and even detect traps and hidden rooms. The sensor system cannot penetrate force fields or phase fields, however.
- Full optical system: Includes Laser targeting, telescopic, passive night vision (light amplification), thermo-imaging, infrared, ultra-violet, and polarization.
[ Brodkil TM, Bushido Industries TM, CAF TM, Catyr TM, CCW TM, Consortium of Civilized Worlds TM, Free Worlds Council TM, Gene Splicers TM, K-Hex TM, Kittani TM, Kreeghor TM, Machine People TM, M.D.C. TM, Mega-Damage TM, M’Kri Hardware TM, Monro TM, Mutants in Orbit TM, Naruni Enterprises TM, Noro TM, Paradise Federation TM, Phase World TM, Rifter TM, SAMAS TM, S.D.C. TM, Seljuks TM, Splugorth TM, Trans-Galactic Empire TM, Tri-Galactic Military Service TM, United Worlds Warlock TM, U.W.W. TM, Wolfen TM, and Zembahk TM are trademarks owned by Kevin Siembieda and Palladium Books Inc. ]
[ Beyond the Supernatural®, Heroes Unlimited®, Nightbane®, Ninjas & Superspies®, Palladium Fantasy®, and Rifts® are registered trademarks owned by Kevin Siembieda and Palladium Books Inc. ]
[ Macross®, Robotech®, Robotech: Sentinels®, SDF-1®, Southern Cross®, and Zentraedi® are registered trademarks owned and licensed by Harmony Gold USA, Inc. ]
Writeup by Kitsune (E-Mail Kitsune).
Copyright © 1999, Kitsune. All rights reserved.