REF Tactical Battle Pod Mk III - TBD-Z1-B (REF Three Galaxies):
While still nominally considered a Zentraedi Mecha, the tactical body pod is operated by various races within the Three Galaxies' forces of the REF. Of course there were huge amounts of already cloned Zentraedi soldiers in the factory satellite which the REF managed to captured but a sizeable minority of these pods are operated by human crews. It far easier to train the Zentraedi woken from stasis to a design that they would already be familiar with than an all new design and it would be a criminal waste of resources not to use them. The original REF version was a reasonable good design but had several glaring weaknesses. Two of the most major was the designs lack of armor and the fact that it carried no missiles. It was decided than an updated version would be developed to take advantage of the new technology available in the Three Galaxies. The end result was a greatly upgraded design which was designated the Mark III and is similar in many ways to the upgraded on the Officers Battle Pod within the Three Galaxies. The Tactical Battle Pod is mostly designed for use in ground combat and lacks the extraordinary space maneuverability of the Officers Battle Pod. The Tactical design has several important advantages though including being less expensive to manufacture (meaning more can be produced) and being more flexible as far as additional weapon systems. Even though lighter armed than some other REF designs, the mobility compared to most designs makes it highly effective.
Like the Officers Battle Pod, the appearance of the new Tactical Battle Pod design is mostly unchanged. One of the largest changes was the elimination of the rear firing cannons. Both designs share a large amount of components to reduce development and production costs. Otherwise, the changes are mostly cosmetic. One of the most important features of the design is that its armor has been greatly upgrade compared to the original REF Tactical Battle Pod. In actuality, it is around three times that of the original design. The design does not mount a protective force field which has been criticized by some. The design still uses protoculture for control systems but power is provided by a powerful fusion reactor designed in the Three Galaxies. Actually, the power plant is a Consortium design of incredible output. The running speed of the original tactical battle pod is retained but the thrusters have been upgraded. Actually, they are replaced by a contra-grav propulsion system. The system gives the Tactical Battle Pod much greater mobility and it can even theoretically break into orbit. Still, the propulsion system does not provide the design with enough acceleration to effective as either a space fighter or in an atmosphere. It would be considered a sitting duck if engaged by try fighters. Instead, the system in meant to increase the mobility and flexibility of the improved design. As might be expected, the electronic systems (including sensors) on the Tactical Battle Pod Mk III have been fully upgraded.
The main weapon of the Tactical Battle Pod are the same HI-Laser cannons carried on the Officers Battle Pod and are developed from fighter mounts carried on the Black Eagle starfighter. The weapons are extremely powerful and have good range as well. The 32 mm auto cannon on the chest of the design is replaced by a gravity rail gun. The same mount is carried on the REF Excaliber and Gladiator Destroids. As written previously, the rear firing cannons have been removed. Instead the design has a quick change which allows a variety of different missile mounts to be carried. A special high powered sensor array is also available for the design which mounts in place of the missile pods. While the missile payload does not compare with the Spartan design, the design has the ability to get into position far more rapidly. The most commonly carried pod is the mini-missile pod which has the capacity of forty-eight mini-missiles per pod. While close range only, the weapon is devastating. A short range missile pod with twenty-four missile per pod and a medium range pod with twelve missiles per pod are also available. The pods are fairly heavy and reduce ground speed and acceleration by around twenty percent. Even so, it can reach speeds of 225 kph carry a pair of weapon pods.
Model Type: TBD-Z1-B Improved Tactical Battle Pod
Vehicle Type: Zentraedi Destroid
Crew: One but can seat an additional passenger
M.D.C. by location:
|Top Mounted Heavy Lasers (2)||100 each|
|Dual Gravitic Rail-Guns (Chest):||180|
|Missile / Sensor Pod Hard Points (2, sides)||20 each|
|Side Mounted Missile Pods (2):||200 each|
|Long Range Sensor Pod (1)||275|
| Hands (2):||65 each|
|Forearms (2):||125 each|
|Upper Arms (2):||150 each|
|Legs (2)||250 each|
| Rear Contr-Grav Propulsion System:||250|
| Main Body:||570|
|Reinforced Pilots Compartment||250|
 These locations are small and difficult targets to strike, requiring the attacker to make a "called shot," but even then the attacker is -4 to strike.
 Destruction of rear Contra-Grav propulsion will cause the Officer's Battle Pod to crash while in an atmosphere. In space, the battle pod will be restricted to maneuvering thrusters only
 Depleting the M.D.C. of the main body will shut the Officer's Battle Pod down completely, rendering it useless. Note: Lasers do half damage.
Running: 175 mph (281.6 kph) maximum with a cruising speed of about 100 mph (160.9 kph). Unlike power armors, running does no tire out the operator. While carrying pods (Sensor or Missile), maximum running speed is 140 mph (225.3 kph) with a cruising speed of about 80 mph (128.7 kph)
Jumping: 100 feet (30.5 meters) lengthwise or 50 feet (14.2 meters) up without using Contra-Grav thrusters. Using contra-grav thrusters, can leap 600 feet (182.9 meters) across or upwards without achieving flight.
Contra-Grav flight system: The contra-grav propulsion system enables the armor hover in a stationary at any altitude and fly at a maximum speed of 200 mph (320 kph). The contra-grav system makes the armor trans- atmospheric and armor can accelerate at up to 0.5 Gs of acceleration.
Underwater: It can walk along the bottom of the sea floor at 25% of maximum speed. The Alpha can also use its thrusters to travel up to a maximum speed of 20 mph (32.2 kph)
Maximum Ocean Depth: 1 mile (1.6 km)
Maximum Effective Range: Limited only by the pilot's endurance. Emergency food and air supply will keep the pilot alive for a week.
Height: 23 feet (7.0 meters) without Missile Pods. 25 feet (7.6 meters) with missile pods
Width: 14 feet (4.3 meters) without Missile Pods. 17 feet (5.2 meters) with missile pods
Length: 14.6 feet (4.5 meters)
Weight: 12.5 tons (11.3 metric tons) fully loaded without pods.: 15.5 tons (14.1 metric tons) fully loaded with missile pods..
Physical Strength: Equal to Robotic P.S. 45
Power System: Advanced Fusion (25 Years). Uses one protoculture cells for special systems (100 Year Duration), mainly control systems only. The protoculture system has a special anti-tampering device.
Cargo: Minimal space is available in the pilots compartment, but there is a 5 ft x 5 ft x 3 ft space behind cockpit
Market Cost: Not Sold, If found the Tactical Battle Pod would probably be worth 40 million for a new, undamaged, and fully operation Mecha complete with weapons.
- HI-Laser cannons (2): Mounted above the Tactical Battle pod, they can rotate 90 degrees up or down and 90 degrees side to side. These laser cannons are basically identical to those carried on the Black Eagle Starfighter and can be used simultaneously or can be fired individually.
- Chest Mounted Rapid Fire GR-Gun Turret: Twin multi-barreled gravity rail gun a mounted in the center of the chest. These mounts are used as anti-missile defense and for backup for the forearm weapons. Unlike the original weapon systems, these can be operated on fully automated. The gun can either be put on automatic or can be fired by the pilot. On independent has +4 to strike and has 6 attacks per melee and gives +3 for gunner to use if he is targeting and firing.
- Missile / Sensor Pods (1 or 2) : The design replaces the rear firing cannon with a pair of mounts so that the design can carry either a pair of missile pods or a single sensor pod to give long range sensor system. While it is theoretically possible that two different missile pods could be carried, it is virtually unknown. Mini-missile launchers are popular for close range firepower while medium range missiles are commonly used when acting in the support role. Weapon systems can lock onto multiple targets.
- Medium Range Missile Launcher Pod (2): The launchers are mounted on either side of the main body of the Tactical Battle Pod. Weapon system is used for hitting enemy robots, fighters, and missiles. Weapon system is also used for anti-cruise missile. Missile has a top speed of Mach 15 in an atmosphere and in space has an acceleration of 6% of light per turn. Launchers can launch on multiple targets at the same time.
- Short Range Missile Launcher Pod (2): The launchers are mounted on either side of the main body of the Tactical Battle Pod. Missiles have a top speed of Mach 10 in an atmosphere and in space has an acceleration of 4% of light per turn (faster than any starship except if it is acceding it maximum safe acceleration). Missiles can be launched on multiple targets simultaneously. Smart Missiles are normally used in launchers.
- Mini Missile Launcher Pod (2): The launchers are mounted on either side of the main body of the Tactical Battle Pod. Missile has a top speed of Mach 10 in an atmosphere and in space has an acceleration of 2% of light per turn (slightly faster than any starship except if it is acceding it maximum safe acceleration)
- Long Range Sensor Suite Pod (1): Replaces weaponry on both pod mounts. Carries sensor systems more typical on a heavy star fighter. Use ranges for systems of large star ships except neutrino sensors and does not mount the systems to track the disturbance caused by most star ships traveling at faster than light velocities. The mecha also has an advanced targeting computer.
- Optional Hand to Hand: Treat as the same as the original hand to hand combat except increase the damages as listed.
Maximum Effective Range: 5 miles (8 km) through atmosphere and 500 miles (800 km) in space.
Mega-Damage: 2D4x10 per single blast or 4D4x10 per double blast
Rate of Fire: Equal to the combined hand to hand attacks of the pilot (usually 4 or 5).
Payload: Effectively Unlimited.
Maximum Effective Range: 3000 feet (914 m) in an atmosphere and 56.8 miles (91.4 km) in space.
Mega-Damage: A burst is 120 rounds (60 from each barrel) and inflicts 4D4x10 M.D. Can only fire bursts. Reduce damage by half if one barrel is destroyed.
Rare of Fire: Equal to the combined number of hand to hand attacks of the pilot or by automatic (6 attacks per melee).
Payload: 6000 rounds in magazine; that's 50 bursts.
Maximum Effective Range: Medium Range Missile range is 160 miles (257.5 km) in an atmosphere and 80,000 miles (128,750 km/0.43 light seconds)
Mega-Damage: Varies with medium range missile type (See revised Phase World missile tables for details.)
Rate of Fire: Can fire missiles one at a time two (2), four (4), eight (8), or twelve (12). Remember, one volley counts as one attack regardless of the number of missiles fired.
Payload: Twelve (12) missiles in each launcher for Twenty-Four (24) medium range missiles total.
Maximum Effective Range: Short Range Missile range is 10 miles (16.1 km) in an atmosphere and 500 miles (804.7 km) in space.
Mega Damage: Varies with phase world short range missile type (See revised Phase World missile tables for details.)
Rate of Fire: Can fire missiles one at a time or in volleys of two (2), four (4), eight (8), twelve (12), or twenty-four (24). Remember, one volley counts as one attack regardless of the number of missiles fired.
Payload: Twenty-Four (24) missiles in each launcher for Forty-Eight (48) short range missiles total.
Maximum Effective Range: Mini-Missile range is 2 miles (3.2 km) in an atmosphere and 100 miles (161 km) in space.
Mega Damage: As per Mini-Missile Type (See revised Phase World missile tables for details.)
Rate of Fire: Volleys of two (2), four (4), eight (8), twelve (12), or forty-eight (48). Remember, one volley counts as one attack regardless of the number of missile.
Payload: Forty-Eight (48) missiles in each launcher for Ninety-Six (96) mini missiles total.
- Restrained Punch: 1D6 M.D.
Crush in Hand: 2D4 M.D.
Full Strength Punch: 3D6 M.D.
Power Punch: 1D6x10 M.D.
Kick: 3D6 M.D.
Leap Kick: 6D6 M.D.
Stomp: 2D6 M.D.
Body Block /Ram: 6D6 M.D.
Body Flip /Throw: 4D4 M.D.
[ Brodkil TM, Bushido Industries TM, CAF TM, Catyr TM, CCW TM, Consortium of Civilized Worlds TM, Free Worlds Council TM, Gene Splicers TM, K-Hex TM, Kittani TM, Kreeghor TM, Machine People TM, M.D.C. TM, Mega-Damage TM, M’Kri Hardware TM, Monro TM, Mutants in Orbit TM, Naruni Enterprises TM, Noro TM, Paradise Federation TM, Phase World TM, Rifter TM, SAMAS TM, S.D.C. TM, Seljuks TM, Splugorth TM, Trans-Galactic Empire TM, Tri-Galactic Military Service TM, United Worlds Warlock TM, U.W.W. TM, Wolfen TM, and Zembahk TM are trademarks owned by Kevin Siembieda and Palladium Books Inc. ]
[ Beyond the Supernatural®, Heroes Unlimited®, Nightbane®, Ninjas & Superspies®, Palladium Fantasy®, and Rifts® are registered trademarks owned by Kevin Siembieda and Palladium Books Inc. ]
[ Macross®, Robotech®, Robotech: Sentinels®, SDF-1®, Southern Cross®, and Zentraedi® are registered trademarks owned and licensed by Harmony Gold USA, Inc. ]
Writeup by Kitsune (E-Mail Kitsune).
Copyright © 2006, Kitsune. All rights reserved.