Arcadia class Light Carrier (U.W.W.):
Carriers have never been a common ship class withing the United Worlds Warlock. When large numbers of space fighters are needed, often cargo ships are used to bring the fighters to where they are needed. The Dwarven Iron Ship has a large fighter compliment and could operated much like an escort carrier. Still, the United Worlds Warlock does operate a limited number of carriers. Most of these were converted from Dwarven Iron Ships. In many ways, the ships can be considered dual carriers and cruisers. Only a couple of hundred of these Light Carriers were ever converted from the four thousand Dwarven Iron Ships with about a dozen having been destroyed over the centuries which they have been in service. It is believed that there are only two operated outside of the Warlock Navies. There are some considerations given towards producing a new carrier class to be produced in large numbers. It appears like the design will be derived from the Mandrake class cruiser design.
The Arcadia class light carrier looks virtually identical to the standard Dwarven Iron Ship with riveted metal plates covering the vessel and the large square superstructure. The big change in the addition of large hangers on either side of the hull. This allows and increase in space fighters from forty-eight to one hundred and twenty-six fighters. Normal compliment is ninety-six Shadow Bolt strike fighters, twenty-four Naruni Broadsword or Fire Eater fighters, and six Black Widow II heavy fighters. The heavy fighters are often used for short range scouting although the Rift drive carried on the heavy fighter is considered unreliable by their crews. There is strong consideration being given towards replacing the Naruni fighters with Bushido Industries designs such as the Katana fighter. Power Armor compliment is also vastly increased with two hundred power armors embarked instead of the usual twenty. Because the ships are expected to make marine assaults, the ship carries eight techno-wizard teleporters. Even so, the design does not carry any heavy armor such as tanks or heavy combat robots. Crew is increased with the need to support the additional fighters and troops. As might be expected, these ships are fairly cramped due to additional embarked crew, pilots, and troops.
When converted, there was some consideration given towards removing some of the ships weaponry, especially the Rift Cannon, but it was decided in the end that all weapon system would be retained. This means that these carriers are surprisingly capable of defending themselves against attacking vessels. These ships have been upgraded over the centuries alongside the ships standard sisters. While some Dwarven Iron Ships in private hands have been virtually rebuilt, there appears to be little consideration being given to upgrading these ships much more. It is more likely that the design will simply be replaced by a new carrier design. It is unknown if the surviving light carriers will then be offered to other Navies. Still, some Warlock Navy captains have attempted to get at least the bottle demon launchers modified so they can fire normal mini-missiles as well. These missiles are considered more useful for point defense and lack the danger involved in the bottle demon missiles.
Due to the addition of the hangers, the carrier version is slightly more massive than the standard Dwarven Iron Ship at 180,000 tons. The design is strengthened to support the hangers and can take slightly more damage than an unconverted design. The ship retains the standard magical shields carried on a Dwarven Iron ship. The one weakness these ships have compared to the standard Dwarven Iron ship is that they are considered a bit sluggish and un-maneuverable compared to the ship’s standard sisters and the top acceleration is slightly lower as well. Both of these problems are to be expected due to using the same engines and massing fifty percent greater with the hangers.
This starship design uses modified starship speed and ranges. See Revised Starship Rules for Phase World for more details.
Model Type: UW-CV20
Class: Space Cruiser / Light Carrier (techno-wizard)
Crew: 425, including a magic team of 25 techno-wizards (levels 2-6).
Troop Capacity: 60 Marines (Typically 30 stay on board for ship defense), 175 fighter pilots, 200 Warlock Combat Armor pilots, and can carry up to 20 passengers in addition.
Power Armors & Robots:
|120||W-1 Warlock Combat Armors|
|80||W-F1 Flying Warlock Combat Armors|
|96||WF-F15 Shadow Bolt Strike Ship|
|24||Naruni NE-SF10 Broadsword or FB-49 Fire Eater Fighters|
|6||WF-P60S Black Widow II Heavy Starfighters|
M.D.C. by Location:
|Rift Projector Cannon (One, in front):||1,500|
|Flame Cannons (2, one on each side)||900 each|
|Medium Laser Cannon Turrets (4):||800 each|
|Bottled Demon Missile Batteries (4):||600 each|
|Particle Beam Cannon Turrets (8):||100 each|
| Main Bridge:||10,000|
| Auxiliary Bridge:||10,000|
| Main Body:||35,000|
|Hangar Bays (2):||6,000 each|
| Magical “Armor of Ithan” Force Field:||10,000|
 In reality this is how much damage needs to be done for a weapon to hit the bridge through the ship’s armor. This ship also has an auxiliary bridge. Even if both bridges are taken out, the ship can still be piloted from engineering but ship is -3 to dodge and all weapon systems will be at local control. Weapon hits near the bridge that do not penetrate the ships integrity can injure crew members on or near the bridge.
 Depleting the M.D.C. of the main body will put the cruiser out of commission. All internal systems will shut down, including life support and internal gravity. The ship itself will be an unsalvageable floating wreck.
 This is not a variable force field, but a magical shield that must be completely depleted. Once the shield has been knocked down, it will cost 1000 P.P.E. and require one minute ( 4 melees) of spellcasting to restore the force field.
Driving on the ground: Not Possible.
Water Surface: 35 knots (64.8 kph / 40.3 mph)
Underwater: 25 knots (46.3 kph / 28.8 mph)
Sublight: Has a special sublight engine that allows the ship to travel up to 60 percent of the speed of light. Star Ship can accelerate/decelerate at the rate of 0.7 percent of light per melee.
Atmospheric Propulsion: Maximum speed is 160 mph (257.5 kph), can enter an atmosphere and can leave but is not designed for atmospheric flight
Star Drive: Rift Jump Drive; maximum safe jump distance of 20 light years every four hours (Jump costs 4,000 P.P.E. per activation.)
Maximum Effective Range: Life support will keep crew alive for up to ten years, as long as the P.P.E. generators are kept in working order.
Height: 80 feet (24.4 meters) main body; 160 feet (48.8 meters) from the bottom of the main body to the top of the bridge.
Width: 120 feet (36.6 meters)
Length: 800 feet (244 meters)
Weight / Mass: 180,000 tons (163,300 metric tons)
Power System: Combination Fusion & Techno-wizardry with 20 year life span. The Carrier also has a P.P.E. generator that produces 6,000 P.P.E. per hour / 25 P.P.E. per melee round (Activating the Rifts Jump Drive costs 8,000 P.P.E.) and can hold up to 20,000 P.P.E. in storage. This P.P.E. can be used to power the Rifts Jump Drive or can be used to power spells cast by the vessel's crew.
Cargo: Cargo holds can hold up to 5,000 tons of additional material. If all the ships ammo for was taken out, amount of cargo the ship is able to carry would increase greatly. Each enlisted crew member has a small locker for personal items and uniforms. ship’s officers have more space for personal items. Most of the ship’s spaces are take up by extra ammunition, armor, troops, weapons, engine, and other equipment.
Market Cost: The Carrier would costs 28 billion credits to construct. The ship is no longer in production or for sale.
- Rifts Projector Cannon: In the nose of the ship is large opening which is the main barrel of the cannon. The cannon creates a huge rift in front of the cannon that has a variable effect. This weapon can become a danger to the ship if it fails. The cannon has a 0.5% cumulative chance of failure (i.e., becomes 1% after two shots, 2% after four, and so on). This cannon has penalties to strike small targets. For more information on the Rifts Projector Cannon, refer to page 155 of Dimension Book 2: Phase World (Except ranges are 1,000 times range in book in space.)
- 16 Inch Flame Cannons (2 Cannons Total): The heavy battery of cannons gives the ship a very powerful punch. Each turret can rotate 360 degrees and has a 60 degree arc of fire upwards and 15 degree arc of fire downwards. The cannons fires giant fireballs which can travel enormous distances. The cannons fire control is not designed to lock onto targets smaller than frigates but the cannons can be used to bombard planets as well.
- Four (4) 5 inch Laser Cannons: These weapons are in their own turrets on the top, sides, and bottom of the ship. These are a modern weapon system that are powered by the ships reactor. Each mount can rotate 180 degrees and have a 80 degree arc of fire up and a 45 degree arc of fire down. The cannons are not quite as powerful as the cannons on the CAF classes but have a higher rate of fire. Weapon has standard penalties to hit fighters and small targets for a large starship weaponry. The weapon system cannot be used to engage targets while traveling at faster than light velocities.
- Particle Beam Cannon Turrets (8): These light particle beam cannons are primarily anti-missile defense systems, but can also be used against fighters and robots. Turret can rotate 360 and has a 180 arc of fire.
- Bottled Demon Missile Batteries (4): On each side of the hull the Cruiser has two bottle demon missile batteries. The missiles are literally demons summoned and bottled into a missile and are an aggressive and intelligent guidance system. The evil demons will continue to chase its target until destroyed (50 M.D.C. to the missile.) Bottled demons are slightly larger than mini-missiles and require special launchers. Missile has a top speed of Mach 10 in an atmosphere and in space has an acceleration of 2% of light per turn (slightly faster than any starship except if it is exceeding it maximum safe acceleration). Missiles are super smart and have +4 to strike and +5 to dodge. Unlike normal missile, the bottled demon does not explode and keeps striking at its target over and over. If the target is destroyed or vanishes, the missile disappears. Batteries can launch on multiple targets each.
Maximum Effective Range: 50,000 miles (80,000 km) in space and 50 miles (80 km) in an atmosphere.
Mega-Damage: Roll on table in Dimension Book 2: Phase World on page 156.
Rate of Fire: Can fire once per minute (4 melee rounds/ 60 seconds).
Payload: Requires 1,000 P.P.E. each time fired.
Maximum Effective Range: 20,000 miles (32,200 km) in space and 20 miles (32.2 km) in an atmosphere.
Mega Damage: 1D4x1000 M.D.C. each cannon
Rate of Fire: Maximum of two (2) times per melee per cannon (A total of 4 blasts).
Payload: Needs 1000 P.P.E. per day to function.
Maximum Effective Range: 16,000 miles (25,000 km) in space and 16 miles (25 km) in an atmosphere.
Mega Damage: 1D6x100 M.D.C. each
Rate of Fire: Equal to the combined hand to hand attacks of the gunner (usually 4 or 5).
Payload: Effectively Unlimited.
Maximum Effective Range: 2 miles (3.2 km) through atmosphere and 200 miles (320 km) in space.
Mega-Damage: 1D6x10 per blast.
Rate of Fire: Equal to the combined number of hand to hand attacks of the gunner.
Payload: Effectively Unlimited.
Mega-Damage: 3D4x10 M.D. of magical energy every time the missile strikes (3% chance of releasing the demon every time it hits.)
Maximum Effective Range: Effectively Unlimited! Once fired, the demon controlled and powered missile will fly and pursue the designated target until its target or the missile is destroyed (or the target vanished from sight, jumps away, or gets away by another means.)
Rate of Fire: Can fire missiles one at a time or in volleys of two (2), three (3), four (4), or eight (8) per battery.
Payload: thirty two per battery for a total of 128 bottled demon missiles.
[ Brodkil TM, Bushido Industries TM, CAF TM, Catyr TM, CCW TM, Consortium of Civilized Worlds TM, Free Worlds Council TM, Gene Splicers TM, K-Hex TM, Kittani TM, Kreeghor TM, Machine People TM, M.D.C. TM, Mega-Damage TM, M’Kri Hardware TM, Monro TM, Mutants in Orbit TM, Naruni Enterprises TM, Noro TM, Paradise Federation TM, Phase World TM, Rifter TM, SAMAS TM, S.D.C. TM, Seljuks TM, Splugorth TM, Trans-Galactic Empire TM, Tri-Galactic Military Service TM, United Worlds Warlock TM, U.W.W. TM, Wolfen TM, and Zembahk TM are trademarks owned by Kevin Siembieda and Palladium Books Inc. ]
[ Beyond the Supernatural®, Heroes Unlimited®, Nightbane®, Ninjas & Superspies®, Palladium Fantasy®, and Rifts® are registered trademarks owned by Kevin Siembieda and Palladium Books Inc. ]
Writeup by Kitsune (E-Mail Kitsune).
Copyright © 2006, Kitsune. All rights reserved.