Thoth Industries Crystal Shard Corvette (U.W.W.):
Similar to the Consortium, there are multiple starship with the territories of the United Worlds Warlock. One of these is run by a techno-wizard named Asyribis who is rumored to be the Demi-God offspring of the god Thoth. There are several different classes of "Crystal Shard"craft including fighters, corvettes, and light cruisers. Larger designs are simply too expensive to construct with the ships costing an average of double that of a pure technological design of the same class. While many military leaders and engineers consider the general technology of ships built within the United Worlds Warlock to be inferior to standard technological designs, the Crystal Shard class of ships are considered some of the most effective and powerful ship operating within the Three Galaxies. While the designer has attempted to get contracts with the government to purchase these craft, so far there has been no orders beyond a few purchased for evaluation purposes. Still, even though extremely expensive, these craft have been purchased by techno-wizard mercenary companies and other interested independent parties. A couple of corvettes are also operated by wealthy individuals as private yachts. It is rumored that the owner of the company has her own private corvette. These vessels have been used in engagements against pirates and in internal conflicts where they have performed incredibly.
The fighters and ships are built in a similar configuration and are all incredible works of art and the ships look like crystalline manta-rays with its wings bent slightly forward and a shorter tail than is seen in a true manta-ray. The craft are extremely sleek and their configurations makes them ideal to operate in an atmosphere and underwater as well as in space. The corvette version is larger than most nations heavy bombers although is smaller than ships such as the Hunter class destroyer operated in large numbers by the Consortium Armed Forces.
The corvette's hull is constructed from enchanted crystalline material that are immune to all non magical energy weapons yet is as strong as any normal corvette's hull. The development of the hull appears to be a variation on the enchantments used to construct Mystic Power Armor. Like a Mystic Power Armor, the use of the spell "Armor of Ithan' and large amount focused magical energies can be used to heal damage to the starship. While the corvette being impervious to energy means that a large number of weapons are ineffective against the ship, Asyribis was not satisfied with this and wanted a force field as additional protection. Field tests were performed on “Armor of Ithan” force fields, standard fighter force fields, and "Invincible Armor" force fields. While the "Invincible Armor" required more magical energy than the “Armor of Ithan” force field, it was far stronger and was chosen. The standard force field was not selected because of the systems draw from main power and once dropped, the shield requires a huge amount of power to bring back up.
For propulsion, pure technological gravity type engines were selected for the corvette. While not as fast in acceleration as the fighter version, the corvette is faster than a Consortium Proctor class heavy fighter and is incredibly maneuverable for its size and fighter piloting is used to pilot the corvette. Without reducing the internal volume of the ship to an unacceptable level, the ship could not be properly power with fusion reactors. Instead, a powerful anti-matter reactor provides the energy which the ship needs to run properly. An interesting feature is that the anti-matter reactor and the fuel is contained inside a permanent dimensional pocket. This was done to protect the ship from collapsing anti-matter reactor or anti-matter storage but has the interesting advantage of making the corvette's neutrino signature virtually non existent. A huge amount of research went into developing a acceptable Rift drive for the corvette but without real success and a conventional contra-grav FTL propulsion was eventually selected. It was found that the contra-grav system could travel faster, was more reliable, and could be activated more often (allowing easy escapes from star systems). Top speed of the ship is around six light years per hour.
Unlike the Crystal Shard Fighter, the Corvette has a mixture of both magic and technology in its weapon systems. The main weapon of the corvette are a pair of cannons mounted in the nose which fires bolts that are the equivalent of the "Annihilate" spell. These cannons are not quite as long ranges as most heavy anti-ship lasers but inflict incredible damage when fired. The secondary weaponry is mostly technological in general design with four variable focus particle beams forming the basis of the defensive battery with a pair of heavy gravity rail guns as well. Like with the fighter, it was decided to mount a conventional missile compliment and not carry any bottle demon style missiles. Asyribis considers the bottle demon missiles to be much too dangerous as well as being incredibly expensive and often not available outside the military. It was decided that the weapons would be carried in the corvette as if it was just a very large fighter. The ship has two main bays under the fuselage. Each one can carry sixteen cruise missiles or a mixture of smaller munitions including long range or medium range missiles. There is also a bay inside of each wing. These bays can carry twenty-four long range missiles per bay, forty-eight medium range missiles, or a mixture of long range and medium range missiles. Like the fighter, it is likely that if the ship is adopted by the United Worlds Warlock that the ship would carry "cruise"style bottle demon missiles.
The crew for the corvette is fairly small, a total of only sixteen and the ship does not have any space for fighters although has limited passenger space. Up to eight passengers can be carried which in some cases marines are carried especially when these ships are assigned to anti-piracy patrols. They will probably be equipped with mystic power armor for such missions. Crew quarters are Spartan but are fairly comfortable with the ship capable of operation for long independent missions. The ship mounts a single techno-wizard transporter for long range teleporting.
Ship design uses modified starship speeds and weapon ranges. See Revised Starship Rules for Phase World for more details.
Model Type: TI CC-04-A
Vehicle Type: Multi-Role Corvette
Crew: Sixteen (Has space for eight passengers)
M.D.C. By Location:
|Nose "Annihilate"Cannons (2, front):||800 each|
|Variable Focus Point Defense Particle Beam Cannons (4):||150 each|
|GR-1000 Gravity Rail Gun Turrets (2):||400 each|
|Primary Ordnance Bays (2, underside of main body):||800 each|
|Secondary Ordnance Bays (2, underside of "wings"):||600 each|
| Main Engines (2):||1,200 each|
| Main Body:||4,000|
| Magical "Invincible Armor" Force Field:||5,000|
 In reality this is how much damage needs to be done for a weapon to hit the bridge through the ship’s armor. This ship does not have an auxiliary bridge. Even if the corvette's bridge is destroyed, the ship can still be piloted from engineering but ship is -3 to dodge and all weapon systems will be at local control. Weapon hits near the bridge that do not penetrate the ships integrity can injure crew members on or near the bridge.
 Destroying the main engines means that ship FTL propulsion systems are destroyed and maximum sublight speed is reduced by half.
 Depleting the M.D.C. of the main body will put the corvette out of commission. All internal systems will shut down, including life support and internal gravity. The ship itself will be an unsalvageable floating wreck. Note: The corvette is impervious to all non magical energy weapons. Hull can also be completely regenerated with the spell "Armor of Ithan" and 3,000 P.P.E.
 This is not a variable force field, but a magical shield that must be completely depleted. Once the shield has been knocked down, it will cost 500 P.P.E. and require one minute (4 melees) of spell casting to restore the force field. When knocked down, no additional damage beyond which destroyed the shield will be transferred to the corvette.
Driving on the Ground: Not Possible.
Sublight: Has a special sub-light engine that allows the ship to travel up to 60 percent of the speed of light. The corvette can accelerate/decelerate at the rate of 1.2 percent of light per melee.
Atmospheric Propulsion: Maximum speed is Mach 6 (4,450 mph / 7,160 kph), can enter an atmosphere because flight system is by contra grav. Because all ordnance are in bays, they do not reduce the corvette's atmospheric top speed.
Surface Travel: Can float on the surface or can travel as a hydrofoil on the surface of the water with a top speed of 420 mph (676 kph / 365 knots)
Underwater: Has a maximum speed underwater of 57.6 mph (50 knots/ 92.7 kph)
Maximum Depth: 5 miles (8.05 km)
Stardrive: The corvette has a special Gravitronic Drive system which allows the corvette to reach a maximum of six light-years per hour.
Maximum Effective Range: Life support will keep crew alive for up to ten years, as long as the P.P.E. generators are kept in working order.
Length: 178.0 feet (54.3 meters) including stinger tail
Height: 63.2 feet (19.3 meters)
Width: 216.8 feet (66.1 meters)
Weight: 2,250 tons (2,040 metric tons)
Power System: Combination Anti-matter & Techno-wizardry with 20 year life span. Stored in a special dimensional pocket. The corvette also has a P.P.E. generator that produces 1,000 P.P.E. per hour and can hold up to 5,000 P.P.E. in storage. This P.P.E. can be used to power the spells cast by the corvette's crew and enchantments on the vessel.
Cargo: Can carry up to 50 tons (45 metric tons).
Market Cost: 600 million credits.
- Two (2) "Annihilate" Cannons: Mounted in fixed mounts in the front of the corvette, these cannons are extremely powerful and act as the main guns of the corvette. The cannon fires a black sphere which is magically contained anti-matter. It inflicts incredible damage to the target although range is limited compared to heavy lasers. Weapons system, when used hit fighters and small targets, has half the normal penalties to hit due to sophisticated fire control. The weapon system cannot be used to engage targets while traveling at faster than light velocities.
- Two (2) GR-1000 Large Gravity Rail Gun Turrets: The gravity rail gun is the same gravity rail gun as is carried in the C.A.F. Scorpion Star fighter. They are used as an anti-Starfighter and missile weapon and against targets that are impervious to energy. Each Rail Gun is in a Turret that can rotate 360 and has a 180 arc of fire. Projectiles are fired from rail guns at a significant fraction of the speed of light. Cannon uses a 30 mm projectile.
- Four (4) Variable Focus Particle Beam Mounts: These particle beams are copied from those carried on the CAF Assault Shuttle and will fire a very powerful narrow beam and can fire a scatter effect that is less powerful but is capable of striking multiple targets. The weapon system is quite useful against missiles although the cone is not as wide as Tachyon cannon sprays are (Gives +2 bonus vs fast moving targets such as missiles.) Weapons are mounted in turrets that can rotate 360 and have a 180 arc of fire. Each mount can be operated by a gunner or a gunner program (+2 to strike, 3 Attacks per melee). The weapon system cannot be used to engage targets while traveling at faster than light velocities.
- Primary Ordnance Bays (2): On the underbelly of the corvette are two ordnance bays which allow the corvette to carry missiles. The corvette can carry up to sixteen cruise missiles each or a variety of smaller ordnance. Two long range missiles or four medium range missiles can be substituted for each cruise missile. Ordnance can be mixed and matched as needed. Cruise missile are normally carried when on an anti-capital ship role and long and medium range missiles when fighting star fighters. Cruise Missiles has a top speed of Mach 25 in an atmosphere and in space has an acceleration of 10% of light per turn (far faster than any starship.) Long Range Missiles have a top speed of Mach 20 in an atmosphere and in space has an acceleration of 8% of light per turn (faster than any starship.) Medium Range Missiles have a top speed of Mach 15 in an atmosphere and in space has an acceleration of 6% of light per turn. Whether weapons can be shot down is calculated from the speed of target, launcher, and missile. When drive goes dead, missile will continue to travel in a straight line unless set to self destruct but has very low odds of hitting starships (Great for hitting bases and planets because target does not move and missile when dead at -25% to detect.) Cruise missiles have minuses to hit small targets but are all considered smart missiles. Missiles can be launched on multiple targets simultaneously.
- Secondary Ordnance Bays (2): On the undersides of the corvette's "wings" are two ordnance bays which allow the corvette to carry missiles. The corvette can carry up to twenty four long range missiles each or a variety of smaller ordnance. Two medium range missiles can be substituted for each long range missile. Ordnance can be mixed and matched as needed. Cruise missile are normally carried when on an anti-capital ship role and long and medium range missiles when fighting star fighters. Long Range Missiles have a top speed of Mach 20 in an atmosphere and in space has an acceleration of 8% of light per turn (faster than any starship.) Medium Range Missiles have a top speed of Mach 15 in an atmosphere and in space has an acceleration of 6% of light per turn. Whether weapons can be shot down is calculated from the speed of target, launcher, and missile. When drive goes dead, missile will continue to travel in a straight line unless set to self destruct but has very low odds of hitting starships (Great for hitting bases and planets because target does not move and missile when dead at -25% to detect.) Cruise missiles have minuses to hit small targets but are all considered smart missiles. Missiles can be launched on multiple targets simultaneously.
- Techno-Wizard Modifications: The Crystal Shard Corvette has the following Techno-Wizard Modifications built into the vessel. These require P.P.E. or I.S.P. from the pilot.
Maximum Effective Range: 10,000 miles (16,000 km) in space and 10 miles (16 km) in an atmosphere.
Mega Damage: 2D4x100 M.D.C. each or both cannons can be combined for a total of 4D4x100.
Rate of Fire: four times per melee per cannon.
Payload: Needs 300 P.P.E. per day to function.
Maximum Effective Range: 16 miles (26 km) through atmosphere and 1,600 miles (2,575 km) in space.
Mega-Damage: Rail gun inflicts 4D6x10 M.D.C. for a 40 round burst.
Rate of Fire: Equal to the combined hand to hand attacks of the gunner (usually 4 or 5).
Payload: 10,000 Rounds (250 Bursts) each cannon.
Maximum Effective Range: 300 miles (480 km) in space and 3 miles (4.8 km) in an atmosphere.
Mega Damage: Single Target: 4D6x10 per blast. Wide Beam: 5D6 to all targets within a 5,000 foot (1,524 meter) diameter area. When fired as a wide beam, the cannon cannot be used on targets closer than 5,000 feet (1,524 meters) away.
Rate of Fire: Equal to the combined hand to hand attacks of the gunner (usually 4 or 5).
Payload: Effectively Unlimited.
Maximum Effective Range: Cruise Missile range is 8,000 miles (12,875 km) in an atmosphere and 4,000,000 miles (6,437,376 km/ 21.5 light seconds) in space, Long Range Missile range is 3,400 miles (5,470 km) in an atmosphere and 1,800,000 miles (2,897,000 km/9.7 light seconds) in space, and Medium Range Missile range is 160 miles (257.5 km) in an atmosphere and 80,000 miles (128,750 km/0.43 light seconds) in space.
Mega-Damage & Properties: See revised Phase World missile tables for details (Cruise Anti-Matter multi-warheads inflict 5D6x100 M.D.C. each and Long Range Fusion warheads inflict 2D4x100 M.D.C. each.)
Rate of Fire: Can fire missiles one at a time or in volleys of 2, 4, 6, 8, or 16 missiles.
Payload: 16 Cruise Missile, 32 Long Range Missiles, or 64 Medium Range Missiles per bay (Two long range missiles or four medium range missiles can be substituted for a cruise missile)
Maximum Effective Range: Long Range Missile range is 3,400 miles (5,470 km) in an atmosphere and 1,800,000 miles (2,897,000 km/9.7 light seconds) in space, and Medium Range Missile range is 160 miles (257.5 km) in an atmosphere and 80,000 miles (128,750 km/0.43 light seconds).
Mega-Damage & Properties: See revised Phase World missile tables for details (Long Range Fusion warheads inflict 2D4x100 M.D.C. each.)
Rate of Fire: Can fire missiles one at a time or in volleys of 2, 4, 6, 8, 12, or 24 missiles.
Payload: 24 Long Range Missiles or 48 Medium Range Missiles per bay (Two medium range missiles can be substituted for a long range missile)
- Shadow Meld (8th Level) - 20 P.P.E. or 40 I.S.P.
Invisibility-Superior (8th Level) - 40 P.P.E. or 80 I.S.P.
[ Brodkil TM, Bushido Industries TM, CAF TM, Catyr TM, CCW TM, Consortium of Civilized Worlds TM, Free Worlds Council TM, Gene Splicers TM, K-Hex TM, Kittani TM, Kreeghor TM, Machine People TM, M.D.C. TM, Mega-Damage TM, M’Kri Hardware TM, Monro TM, Mutants in Orbit TM, Naruni Enterprises TM, Noro TM, Paradise Federation TM, Phase World TM, Rifter TM, SAMAS TM, S.D.C. TM, Seljuks TM, Splugorth TM, Trans-Galactic Empire TM, Tri-Galactic Military Service TM, United Worlds Warlock TM, U.W.W. TM, Wolfen TM, and Zembahk TM are trademarks owned by Kevin Siembieda and Palladium Books Inc. ]
[ Beyond the Supernatural®, Heroes Unlimited®, Nightbane®, Ninjas & Superspies®, Palladium Fantasy®, and Rifts® are registered trademarks owned by Kevin Siembieda and Palladium Books Inc. ]
Writeup by Kitsune (E-Mail Kitsune).
Copyright © 2005, Kitsune. All rights reserved.