“Iron Gauntlet” Modified Dwarven Iron Ship (U.W.W.):
Dwarven Iron ships have formed the backbone of the United Worlds Warlock Fleet since virtually its inception. There are a little over three thousand (3,137) of these ships in the service of the Warlock Navy. Recently, naval leaders have been embarking on a program of replacing these ships. The "Morgana" and "Mandrake" class cruisers are planned as the replacement for the aging vessels. Even so, it will likely be decades before all Dwarven Iron Ships are moved from Warlock Navy service. Presently, there are only around one hundred Dwarven Iron Ships serving outside the Warlock Navy but this is expected to greatly increase with their replacement by newer vessels. Some owners of Dwarven Iron Ships have looked for relatively inexpensive upgrades for their vessels to keep them combat capable. Because of this, several Techno-Wizard Engineers have been working on improvements to the old ships with a ship named the "Iron Gauntlet" being the first ship modified. Almost twenty of the independent Iron Ships have been modified. The engineers have attempted to get interest in their upgrades by the Warlock Navy but the military has shown little interest.
Keeping costs down was one of the important goals by the Techno-Wizards who developed the upgrade for the vessel. As a result, as much of the features of the original design were retained. Otherwise, it would simply be cheaper to build new ships. The hulls of Dwarven Iron Ships are covered with riveted metal plates are covered with enchantments signs and circles of protection. While these plates are almost as strong as the best M.D.C. alloys, they are very expensive to rebuilt and replace. Because of this, owners will simply replace damage armor plates with high tech alloy armor plates. The engineers who upgraded the Iron Gauntlet simply added several extra belts of high tech armor to reinforce the ship retaining the original armor under it. The magical “Armor of Ithan” force field is also retained. The engines would have been very expensive to replace and both Sublight and Rifts Jump Drive are retained.
Many of the ideas for upgrading Dwarven Iron Ships came from the design for replacement vessels although this is somewhat restricted by availability. Primary example of this is that the Iron Gauntlet has four cruise missile launchers around the Rift Cannon to give additional firepower but the "Cruise" version of Bottle Demon Missiles is not available outside of the Warlock Navy. These cruise missile launchers are identical to those carried on the Wolfen Hunter class destroyer and many of them are military surplus. The position of the torpedo launchers increases the resemblance of the ship to an old Twentieth Century submarine. Payload of cruise missiles is limited but still can be a very effective weapon. While the standard Bottle Demon Missile launchers are retained, they have been modified to be able to fire normal mini-missiles as well. Many crews have completely removed Bottled Demon Missiles due to the greater safety of normal missiles and due to the extremely high cost of Bottle Demon Missiles. The point defense particle beams are retained but are backed up by a Mini Death Cloud Cannon mounted on the superstructure / sail of the starship. All other energy weapons are retained unmodified.
While most Dwarven Iron Ships carry three squadrons of Shadow Bolt fighters, some owners have experimented with other types of light fighters. As well, many fighter pilots prefer Bushido fighters such as the Katana over Naruni designs. The new FTL booster for the Katana allows the fighter to make long range patrols although crews have to be careful. The crew of the ship was increased due to additional equipment and both marine compliment and passenger quarters have been reduced. Twenty Warlock Combat Power Armors are still carried.
This starship design uses modified starship speed and ranges. See Revised Starship Rules for Phase World for more details.
Model Type: UW-C15 (Upgrade)
Class: Space Cruiser (techno-wizard)
Crew: 275, including a magic team of 20 techno-wizards (levels 2-6).
Troop Capacity: 40 Marines (Typically 20 stay on board for ship defense), 50 fighter pilots, 20 Warlock Combat Armor pilots, and can carry up to 10 passengers in addition.
Power Armors & Robots:
|12||W-1 Warlock Combat Armors|
|8||W-F1 Flying Warlock Combat Armors|
|36||Light Starfighters (WF-F15 Shadow Bolt Strike Ship)|
|12||Naruni NE-SF10 Broadsword or FB-49 Fire Eater Fighters|
M.D.C. by Location:
|Rift Projector Cannon (One, in front):||1,500|
|Flame Cannons (2, one on each side)||900 each|
|Medium Laser Cannon Turrets (4):||800 each|
|Mini-Death Cloud Cannons (1):||200|
|Cruise Missile Launchers (4, front):||1,000 each|
|Bottled Demon Missile Batteries (4):||600 each|
|Particle Beam Cannon Turrets (8):||100 each|
| Main Bridge:||12,000|
| Auxiliary Bridge:||12,000|
| Main Body:||36,000|
| Magical “Armor of Ithan” Force Field:||10,000|
 In reality this is how much damage needs to be done for a weapon to hit the bridge through the ship’s armor. This ship also has an auxiliary bridge. Even if both bridges are taken out, the ship can still be piloted from engineering but ship is -3 to dodge and all weapon systems will be at local control. Weapon hits near the bridge that do not penetrate the ships integrity can injure crew members on or near the bridge.
 Depleting the M.D.C. of the main body will put the cruiser out of commission. All internal systems will shut down, including life support and internal gravity. The ship itself will be an unsalvageable floating wreck.
 This is not a variable force field, but a magical shield that must be completely depleted. Once the shield has been knocked down, it will cost 1000 P.P.E. and require one minute ( 4 melees) of spellcasting to restore the force field.
Driving on the ground: Not Possible.
Water Surface: 40 knots (74.1 km/46 mph)
Underwater: 30 knots (55.6 km/34.5 mph)
Sublight: Has a special sublight engine that allows the ship to travel up to 60 percent of the speed of light. Star Ship can accelerate/decelerate at the rate of 0.8 percent of light per melee.
Atmospheric Propulsion: Maximum speed is 200 mph (321.9 kph), can enter an atmosphere and can leave but is not designed for atmospheric flight
Star Drive: Rift Jump Drive; maximum safe jump distance of 20 light years every four hours (Jump costs 4,000 P.P.E. per activation.)
Maximum Effective Range: Life support will keep crew alive for up to ten years, as long as the P.P.E. generators are kept in working order.
Height: 80 feet (24.4 meters) main body; 160 feet (48.8 meters) from the bottom of the main body to the top of the bridge.
Width: 80 feet (24.4 meters)
Length: 800 feet (244 meters)
Weight / Mass: 132,000 tons (119,700 metric tons)
Power System: Combination Fusion & Techno-wizardry with 20 year life span. The Cruiser also has a P.P.E. generator that produces 6,000 P.P.E. per hour / 25 P.P.E. per melee round (Activating the Rifts Jump Drive costs 8,000 P.P.E.) and can hold up to 20,000 P.P.E. in storage. This P.P.E. can be used to power the Rifts Jump Drive or can be used to power spells cast by the Battlecruiser crew.
Cargo: Cargo holds can hold up to 1,000 tons of additional material. If all the ships ammo for was taken out, amount of cargo the ship is able to carry would increase greatly. Each enlisted crew member has a small locker for personal items and uniforms. ship’s officers have more space for personal items. Most of the ship’s spaces are take up by extra ammunition, armor, troops, weapons, engine, and other equipment.
Market Cost: The Dwarven Iron Cruiser would costs 22 billion credits to construct. The ship is no longer in production or for sale. Upgrade costs around 3.5 billion credits.
- Rifts Projector Cannon: In the nose of the ship is large opening which is the main barrel of the cannon. The cannon creates a huge rift in front of the cannon that has a variable effect. This weapon can become a danger to the ship if it fails. The cannon has a 0.5% cumulative chance of failure (i.e., becomes 1% after two shots, 2% after four, and so on). This cannon has penalties to strike small targets. For more information on the Rifts Projector Cannon, refer to page 155 of Dimension Book 2: Phase World (Except ranges are 1000 times range in book in space.)
- 16 Inch Flame Cannons (2 Cannons Total): The heavy battery of cannons gives the ship a very powerful punch. Each turret can rotate 360 degrees and has a 60 degree arc of fire upwards and 15 degree arc of fire downwards. The cannons fires giant fireballs which can travel enormous distances. The cannons fire control is not designed to lock onto targets smaller than frigates but the cannons can be used to bombard planets as well.
- Four (4) 5 inch Laser Cannons: These weapons are in their own turrets on the top, sides, and bottom of the ship. These are a modern weapon system that are powered by the ships reactor. Each mount can rotate 180 degrees and have a 80 degree arc of fire up and a 45 degree arc of fire down. The cannons are not quite as powerful as the cannons on the CAF classes but have a higher rate of fire. Weapon has standard penalties to hit fighters and small targets for a large starship weaponry. The weapon system cannot be used to engage targets while traveling at faster than light velocities.
- Mini Death Cloud Cannons (1): This cannon is mounted on the ship’s sail like superstructure. This weapon is very similar to the cannon that is mounted on the Arcane patrol ship. The weapon release a massive amount of water that quickly freezes. While the ice is not a solid barrier, the particle density of the ice is great enough to eliminate missiles and inflict large amounts of damage to larger targets. Each weapon releases about 1/4 of the ice that the weapon mounted on the Arcane patrol ship does. The weapon can also be used to block heavy plasma weapons and can be used to hide a ship on sensors systems. The "wall" of ice has a virtually indefinite duration in space but does drift at the heading and speed of the ship launching the "wall" of ice. If used in an atmosphere, the weapon has only a momentary duration and reduced effects. The weapon system is useless underwater. The cloud of ice is -6 to dodge normally with the penalties for large ships used as well.
- Particle Beam Cannon Turrets (8): These light particle beam cannons are primarily anti-missile defense systems, but can also be used against fighters and robots. Turret can rotate 360 and has a 180 arc of fire.
- Four (4) Cruise Missile Launchers: The ship has four cruise missile tubes under the ship. The launchers are copied from those carried on a Hunter class destroyer. Missile has a top speed of Mach 25 in an atmosphere and in space has an acceleration of 10% of light per turn (far faster than any starship.) Whether weapons can be shot down is calculated from the speed of target, launcher, and missile. When drive goes dead, missile will continue to travel in a straight line unless set to self destruct but has very low odds of hitting star ships (Great for hitting bases and planets because target does not move and missile when dead at -25% to detect.) Cruise missiles have minuses to hit small targets but are all considered smart missiles. While missile are only launched at the rate of one at a time per launcher, the ships computer has special software that allows all the missile to hit a target at the same time for the purpose to make point defense of a target is more easily overwhelmed. This is done by slowing down the acceleration of missile and by setting some for delayed activation and target must be a least 30 seconds away. Missile are then considered to only have an acceleration of 5% of light for the first turn. These launchers can also be combined with pepper box launchers. Batteries can launch on multiple targets each at the same time.
- Bottled Demon Missile Batteries (4): On each side of the hull the Cruiser has two bottle demon missile batteries. The missiles are literally demons summoned and bottled into a missile and are an aggressive and intelligent guidance system. The evil demons will continue to chase its target until destroyed (50 M.D.C. to the missile.) Bottled demons are slightly larger than mini-missiles and require special launchers. Missile has a top speed of Mach 10 in an atmosphere and in space has an acceleration of 2% of light per turn (slightly faster than any starship except if it is exceeding it maximum safe acceleration). Missiles are super smart and have +4 to strike and +5 to dodge. Unlike normal missile, the bottled demon does not explode and keeps striking at its target over and over. If the target is destroyed or vanishes, the missile disappears. Batteries can launch on multiple targets each. The launchers have been modified so they can fire standard mini-missiles. This is done mainly by fitting the mini-missiles with a special sleeve that allows them to be fired from the launcher. This allows the launchers to be used for point defense and targets not worth a bottled demon. Batteries can launch on multiple targets each at the same time. Many ships do not carry bottle demon missiles and simply replace them with conventional mini-missiles. In those cases, increase conventional missile payload.
- Techno-Wizard Modifications: The "Iron Gauntlet" class Cruiser has the following Techno-Wizard Modifications built into the ship. These require P.P.E. or I.S.P. from the ships crew or P.P.E. battery.
Maximum Effective Range: 50,000 miles (80,000 km) in space and 50 miles (80 km) in an atmosphere.
Mega-Damage: Roll on table in Dimension Book 2: Phase World on page 156.
Rate of Fire: Can fire once per minute (4 melee rounds/ 60 seconds).
Payload: Requires 1,000 P.P.E. each time fired.
Maximum Effective Range: 20,000 miles (32,200 km) in space and 20 miles (32.2 km) in an atmosphere.
Mega Damage: 1D4x1000 M.D.C. each cannon
Rate of Fire: Maximum of two (2) times per melee per cannon (A total of 4 blasts).
Payload: Needs 1000 P.P.E. per day to function.
Maximum Effective Range: 16,000 miles (25,000 km) in space and 16 miles (25 km) in an atmosphere.
Mega Damage: 1D6x100 M.D.C. each
Rate of Fire: Equal to the combined hand to hand attacks of the gunner (usually 4 or 5).
Payload: Effectively Unlimited.
Maximum Effective Range: Can be accurately targeted up to 1,000 miles (1,600 km) with a diameter of 25,000 feet (15,200 meters) when used in space and 10 miles (16 km) with a diameter of 250 feet (152 meters) when used in an atmosphere.
Mega-Damage: A ship or missile 1D6 x speed of target in percentage of light. For example, a ship traveling at 10% of the speed of light would have 1D6x10 inflicted on them. Larger ships will have greater damage inflicted on them. Destroyer sized ships (greater than 1000 tons but less than 40,000 tons) have damage multiplied by 5, Light Cruiser sized ships (greater than 40,000 tons but less than 100,000 tons) have damage multiplied by 10, Heavy cruiser sized ships (Greater than 100,000 but less 1 million tons) have damage multiplied by 20, and the truly huge ships like heavy cargo ships and battleships (1 million tons and greater) have damage multiplied by 100. Most missiles are automatically destroyed by the cloud of ice. If used in an atmosphere, the weapon will automatically knock missiles off course and anyone flying through the cloud of water will need to make a piloting roll at -6. Optional: The speed of the ship launching the cloud may also be calculated but it is math intensive due to the fact that direction of travel and vectors will also effect the damage of the weapon.
Rate of Fire: Twice per melee per mini-death cloud cannon.
Payload: Each weapon may be activated 20 times per twenty four hour period. Further activations require 100 P.P.E. from either onboard magicians or drawing on the ships P.P.E. generator.
Maximum Effective Range: 2 miles (3.2 km) through atmosphere and 200 miles (320 km) in space.
Mega-Damage: 1D6x10 per blast.
Rate of Fire: Equal to the combined number of hand to hand attacks of the gunner.
Payload: Effectively Unlimited.
Theoretically, launcher can also fire a special larger version of the bottle demon missiles although for safety purposes, only a few would likely be carried on board. It has been said by many people that an escaped demon is worse than a matter/anti-matter explosion. They can be launched at the same rate as conventional cruise missiles, can use the same programming, and although slightly smaller than a standard cruise missile they are fitted into a collar that allows them to be used in the standard launchers. The missiles accelerate at the same rate as conventional cruise missiles. Missiles are super smart and have +4 to strike and +5 to dodge. Unlike normal missile, the bottled demon does not explode and keeps striking at its target over and over. If the target is destroyed or vanishes, the missile disappears. The missiles are literally powerful demons summoned and bottled into a missile and are an aggressive and intelligent guidance system. The evil demons will continue to chase its target until destroyed (120 M.D.C. to the missile). Bottled Demon missiles are not available outside the United World Warlock Navy but are listed in case they become available.
Optional: Because the super bottle demon missiles use a more powerful demon and the missiles are still experimental, there is a 5% chance that the missile will turn on the ship launching it.
Maximum Effective Range: Conventional Cruise Missiles: Missile range is 8,000 miles (12,875 km) in an atmosphere and 4,000,000 miles (6,437,376 km/ 21.5 light seconds) in space. Bottled Demon Missiles: Effectively Unlimited! Once fired, the demon controlled and powered missile will fly and pursue the designated target until its target or the missile is destroyed (or the target vanished from sight, jumps away, or gets away by another means)
Mega-Damage & Properties: Conventional Cruise Missiles: See revised Phase World missile tables for details (Anti-Matter multi-warheads inflict 5D6x100 M.D.C. each.) Bottled Demon Missiles: 6D6x100 of magical energy every time the missile strikes (3% chance of releasing the demon every time it hits.)
Rate of Fire:One cruise missile per melee attack (special software allows 4 to 8 missile to be launched as one volley depending on gunners hand to hand attacks) per launcher. This allows total volleys of 16 to 32 cruise missiles to be launched in one melee.
Payload: Conventional Cruise Missiles: 40 cruise missiles per launcher for a total of 160 cruise missiles. While Bottle Demon Missiles are listed, they are not carried.
Maximum Effective Range: Bottled Demon Missiles: Effectively Unlimited! Once fired, the demon controlled and powered missile will fly and pursue the designated target until its target or the missile is destroyed (or the target vanished from sight, jumps away, or gets away by another means) Conventional Mini-Missiles: Missile range is 2 miles (3.2 km) in an atmosphere and 100 miles (161 km) in space.
Mega-Damage: Bottled Demon Missiles: 3D4x10 M.D. of magical energy every time the missile strikes (3% chance of releasing the demon every time it hits.) Conventional Mini-Missiles: Varies with mini-missile type (See revised Phase World missile tables for details.)
Rate of Fire: Can fire missiles one at a time or in volleys of two (2), three (3), four (4), or eight (8) per battery.
Payload: Bottled Demon Missiles: 32 per battery for a total of 128 bottled demon missiles. Conventional Mini-Missiles: 64 per battery for a total of 256 mini-missiles. If Bottle Demon missiles are not carried, increase mini-missiles to 96 per battery and to a total of 384 mini-missiles.
- Shadow Meld (6th Level) - 80 P.P.E. or 160 I.S.P.
Impervious to Energy (6th Level) - 160 P.P.E. or 320 I.S.P.
Invisibility-Superior (6th Level) - 160 P.P.E. or 320 I.S.P.
[ Brodkil TM, Bushido Industries TM, CAF TM, Catyr TM, CCW TM, Consortium of Civilized Worlds TM, Free Worlds Council TM, Gene Splicers TM, K-Hex TM, Kittani TM, Kreeghor TM, Machine People TM, M.D.C. TM, Mega-Damage TM, M’Kri Hardware TM, Monro TM, Mutants in Orbit TM, Naruni Enterprises TM, Noro TM, Paradise Federation TM, Phase World TM, Rifter TM, SAMAS TM, S.D.C. TM, Seljuks TM, Splugorth TM, Trans-Galactic Empire TM, Tri-Galactic Military Service TM, United Worlds Warlock TM, U.W.W. TM, Wolfen TM, and Zembahk TM are trademarks owned by Kevin Siembieda and Palladium Books Inc. ]
[ Beyond the Supernatural®, Heroes Unlimited®, Nightbane®, Ninjas & Superspies®, Palladium Fantasy®, and Rifts® are registered trademarks owned by Kevin Siembieda and Palladium Books Inc. ]
Writeup by Kitsune (E-Mail Kitsune).
Copyright © 2004, Kitsune. All rights reserved.