Wolfen Legatus class Battlecruiser:
Like the Human Alliance, the Wolfen constructed their own cruiser designs before they became a member of the Consortium of Civilized Worlds. The largest combatant vessels they constructed, other than carriers, were the Legatus class battlecruiser. Legatus, which means warlord in Wolfen, class battlecruisers were named after important Admirals and Generals for early history to modern times.
At one time, the Legatus class battlecruiser was one of the most powerful vessels in the Three Galaxies. The battlecruisers are still powerful and dangerous in the hands of a skilled captain but there have been many newer and more powerful ships built since the Legatus class battlecruisers first commissioned. These ships have served with distinction in many engagements through the years. These ships are still used by the Wolfen and are often used as flagships. There are plans for a battlecruiser design to replace the Legatus class. The new battlecruiser seems to be similar to the Consortium "Aegis" design. Of course, and new design would not carry Consortium Graser mounts because the Consortium does not allow the weapon systems on any ships other than those of the C.A.F. Navy. It also appears that the Wolfen may be considering purchasing some Wyvern class pocket battleships to fill weakness in their forces until new battlecruisers can be constructed. Some Naval Architects are recommending that instead of replacing the vessels, that the vessels should be upgraded. The same architects support the concept that even if a replacement is commissioned, upgrading some vessels would allow the Wolfen to strengthen their forces until sufficient new vessels could be completed. The upgraded vessels could then be used as reserve force to add to the Navy during times of war.
These ships could be considered similar to the Lictor class heavy cruiser but constructed on a larger scale. The ships carry both a heavy energy weapon armament and heavy missile armament. The ship carries sixteen rapid fire missile launchers that are similar to those carried on the Hunter. The numbers of missiles that the launchers can fire is general inferior to those of the Consortium vessels but with software upgrades, can be fired in larger volleys which make them generally harder to intercept. The ship carries a total of sixteen medium range missile launchers to engage incoming enemy cruise missiles. The ships beam weapons were quite capable of devastating large vessels. The main battery are two 30 cm laser cannons and four 20 cm laser cannons. These are backed up with sixteen particle beam cannons equal to those carried on the Hunter class Destroyer but are mounted in full turrets instead of being fixed forward. The ship has good short range point defense weaponry to protect it from attacking fighters and missile volleys. The ship carries sixteen point defense laser mounts and sixteen point defense rail gun mounts.
One of the weak points of the vessel is its light shields. They are only about eighty percent as powerful as those carried on the old Human Alliance Yamato class battleship. These ships have faster propulsion systems that the old Human Alliance battleships which allow the battlecruisers to operate with newer units without slowing down them down as much. Since they cannot take as much abuse, captains have to be very careful when operating with more powerful newer units.
These ships had less automation and required slightly larger crews than Human Alliance vessels that were constructed at around the same time. The ships require much larger crews when compared to more modern vessels. The ships often are used as flagships and are fitted with a flag bridge in addition to a regular and auxiliary bridge. In addition to the ships regular crew, these battlecruisers carry a large compliment of marines including power armors and a number of assault shuttles. Fighters are carried onboard for the defense of the battlecruiser, scouting, and special strike roles.
This starship design uses modified starship speed and ranges. See Revised Starship Rules for Phase World for more details.
Model Type: CBC-110-B
Crew: 1,820 crew members (295 officers and 1525 enlisted).
Troop Capacity: 1,200 marines (Including Power Armor crews), 200 fighter pilots.
Vehicles: These listing are for modern compliments and assume
Wolfen Equipment being used in most cases. Old compliments were similar
in number but were of earlier designs. As well, due to a shortage on Wolfen
vehicles, new CAF or other designs are often carried in place of them.
Power Armors & Robots:
|120||Silver Hawk Power Armors|
|500||Spartan Power Armors|
|40||Bombard Infantry Robots|
|48||Falx Supina Light Starfighters|
|24||Gladius Medium Starfighters (Old or New)|
|6||Spiculum Heavy Starfighters|
|2||Wolfen Cohort class Assault Shuttles|
|20||Phalanx Main Battle Tanks|
M.D.C. by Location:
|Main 30 cm Main Laser Cannons (2):||1,500 each|
|20 cm Main Laser Cannons (4):||1,200 each|
|Heavy Particle Beam Cannons (16):||650 each|
|Electromagnetic Point Defense Rail Gun Turrets (16):||400 each|
|Point Defense Laser Turrets (16):||300 each|
|Cruise Missile Launchers (16):||1,000 each|
|Medium Range Missile Batteries (16):||450 each|
|Outer Hull (40 ft/ 12.2 m Area):||150|
|Inner Hull (40 ft/ 12.2 m Area):||100|
| Auxiliary Bridge:||30,000|
| Flag Bridge:||30,000|
| Main Engines (2):||35,000 each|
| Main Body:||140,000|
| Variable Force Field:||10,000 a side (60,000 Total)|
 In reality this is how much damage needs to be done for a weapon to hit the bridge through the ship’s armor. This ship also has both an auxiliary bridge and a flag bridge. Even if all three bridges are taken out, the ship can still be piloted from engineering but the ship is -3 to dodge and all weapon systems will be at local control. Weapon hits near the bridges that do not penetrate the ships integrity can injure crew members on or near the bridge.
 Destroying the main engines means that the ship F.T.L. systems are destroyed and maximum sublight speed is reduced by half.
 Depleting the M.D.C. of the main body will put the cruiser out of commission. All internal systems will shut down, including life support and internal gravity. The ship itself will be an unsalvageable floating wreck.
 Shields positions can be varied and all could be combined in one shield. Shields regenerate at the rate of 5% (3,000 M.D.C.) per melee round.
Driving on the Ground: Not Possible.
Sublight: Has a special sublight engine that allows the ship to travel up to 60 percent of the speed of light. Star Ship can accelerate/decelerate at the rate of 0.85 percent of light per melee.
Atmospheric Propulsion: Maximum speed is 400 mph (644 kph), can enter an atmosphere and can leave but is not designed for atmospheric flight.
Stardrive: Uses a Gravitonic Drive system that allows the ship to reach a maximum of 4.5 light-years per hour.
Maximum Range: Effectively Unlimited by either Drive system. Carries about two years worth of supplies on board, but can be stretched to three in an emergency.
Length: 2953 feet (900 meters)
Height: 525 feet (160 meters)
Width: 607 feet (185 meters)
Weight/Mass: 6.06 million tons (5.5 million metric tons)
Power System: Anti-matter; average energy life of 50 years. The ship normally only goes 10 years between refueling and refitting.
Cargo: Cargo holds are scattered about the ship that allows for carrying up to 100,000 tons (90,720 metric tons) of cargo in addition to the standard compliment of supplies and ammunition. Each enlisted crew member has a small locker for personal items and uniforms. ship’s officers have more space for personal items. Most of the ship’s spaces are taken up by extra ammunition, armor, troops, weapons, engine, and other equipment.
Market Cost: Production cost of 32 billion credits (not counting other vehicles). The ship is no longer manufactured and is not available outside of the Consortium Armed Forces and Wolfen Planets Military Forces.
- Two (2) 30 cm Main Heavy Laser Cannons: In the front of the ship are two 30 cm laser cannons. They are used as anti-capital ship weapons and can take out frigates in one shot and can do large amounts of damage to bases or larger starships. The Laser cannons can be combined together or each one used separately. The weapon system cannot be used to engage targets while traveling at faster than light velocities. Weapon has standard penalties to hit fighters and small targets for a large gun. These can be fired forward and can be angled up to 120 degrees aft (can only fire one cannon at a target at that angle but can spin to be able to bring both batteries to bear) and can fire at a 30 degree angle up or down.
- Two (2) 20 cm Heavy Laser Cannons: These cannons are used to engage any large ships that come into range and used for orbital bombardment. Two of the Laser cannons can be combined together or each one used separately. The weapon system cannot be used to engage targets while traveling at faster than light velocities. The weapons have standard penalties to hit fighters and small targets for a large gun.
- Sixteen (16) Heavy Particle Beam Cannons: The particle beams are the same version of the particle beams that are on a standard Hunter with the same range and same beam output. They are mounted in turrets which allow the guns to move more freely. There is discussion of replacing the cannons with the faster firing versions carried on the Hunters in New Coventry service or something similar. The weapon system cannot be used to engage targets while traveling at faster than light velocities.
- Sixteen (16) Electromagnetic Point Defense Rail Guns: Unlike most of the rail guns used on Phase World Starships, these are standard electromagnetic rail guns. They are used as an anti-Starfighter and missile weapon and against targets that are impervious to energy. Each Rail Gun is in a Turret that can rotate 360 and has a 180 arc of fire. Projectiles are fired from mounts at a significant fraction of the speed of light. The cannons uses a 14.5 mm depleted uranium projectiles. The weapon system cannot be used to engage targets while traveling at faster than light velocities.
- Sixteen (16) Point Defense Lasers in Ball Turrets: This system is unaltered when compared to a standard Hunter class destroyer. This is the star ship’s primary anti-starfighter, anti-robot, and anti-missile defense system. Each laser is in a turret that can rotate 360 and has a 180 arc of fire. The weapon system cannot be used to engage targets while traveling at faster than light velocities.
- Sixteen (16) Cruise Missile Launchers: Missiles have a top speed of Mach 25 in an atmosphere and in space has an acceleration of 10% of light per turn (far faster than any starship.) Whether weapons can be shot down is calculated from the speed of target, launcher, and missile. When drive goes dead, missile will continue to travel in a straight line unless set to self destruct but has very low odds of hitting star ships (Great for hitting bases and planets because target does not move and missile when dead at -25% to detect.) Cruise missiles have minuses to hit small targets but are all considered smart missiles. While missiles are only launched at the rate of one at a time per launcher, the ship’s computer has special software that allows all the missiles to hit a target at the same time for the purpose to make point defense of a target is more easily overwhelmed. This is done by slowing down the acceleration of missiles and by setting some for delayed activation and target must be at least 30 seconds away. Missiles are then considered to only have an acceleration of 5% of light for the first turn.
- Eight (8) Medium Range Missile Batteries: Weapon system is used for hitting enemy robots, fighters, and against incoming cruise missiles. Like other Phase world systems, weapon system range and speed has been greatly increased compared to Rifts Earth systems. Missile has a top speed of Mach 15 in an atmosphere and in space has an acceleration of 6% of light per turn. Batteries can launch on multiple targets each at the same time.
Maximum Effective Range: 100,000 miles (161,000 km) in space. and 100 miles (161 km) in an atmosphere.
Mega Damage: 2D4x1000 M.D.C. each and two can be combined for a total of 4D4x1000.
Rate of Fire: Maximum of two (2) times per melee per cannon.
Payload: Effectively Unlimited.
Maximum Effective Range: 100,000 miles ( 160,000 km) in space., or 100 miles (160 km) in an atmosphere.
Mega-Damage: 1D4x1,000 per single blast or 2D4x1,000 per double blast.
Rate of Fire: Two double blasts or two single blasts each (4 total per battery).
Payload: Effectively unlimited.
Maximum Effective Range: 10,000 miles (16,000 km) in space and 20 miles (32 km) in an atmosphere.
Mega-Damage: 2D4x100 M.D. each (4D4x100 maximum for two firing together.)
Rate of Fire: Each one can be fired up to one time in a melee.
Payload: Effectively Unlimited
Maximum Effective Range: 16 miles (26 km) through atmosphere and 800 miles (1,290 km) in space.
Mega-Damage: Rail guns inflict 3D6x10 M.D.C. for an 80 round burst.
Rate of Fire: Equal to the combined hand to hand attacks of the gunner (usually 4 or 5).
Payload: 16,000 Rounds (200 Bursts) each cannon.
Maximum Effective Range: 200 miles (320 km) in space and has a range of 4 miles (6.4 km) in an atmosphere.
Mega Damage: 2D6x10 M.D.C. each.
Rate of Fire: Equal to the combined hand to hand attacks of the gunner (usually 4 or 5).
Payload: Effectively Unlimited.
Maximum Effective Range: Cruise Missile range is 8,000 miles (12,875 km) in an atmosphere and 4,000,000 miles (6,437,376 km/ 21.5 light seconds)
Mega-Damage & Properties: See revised Phase World missile tables for details (Anti-Matter multi-warheads inflict 5D6x100 M.D.C. each.)
Rate of Fire:One cruise missile per melee attack (special software allows 4 to 8 missile to be launched as one volley depending on gunners hand to hand attacks) per launcher. This allows total volleys of 64 to 128 cruise missiles to be launched in one melee round.
Payload: 100 cruise missiles each for 800 total.
Maximum Effective Range: Medium Range Missile range is 160 miles (257.5 km) in an atmosphere and 80,000 miles (128,750 km/0.43 light seconds)
Mega-Damage: Varies with medium range missile type (See revised Phase World missile tables for details.)
Rate of Fire: Can fire missiles one at a time or in volleys of two (2), four (4), or eight (8) missiles per battery.
Payload: 240 per launcher for a total of 3,840 medium range missiles.
[ Brodkil TM, Bushido Industries TM, CAF TM, Catyr TM, CCW TM, Consortium of Civilized Worlds TM, Free Worlds Council TM, Gene Splicers TM, K-Hex TM, Kittani TM, Kreeghor TM, Machine People TM, M.D.C. TM, Mega-Damage TM, M’Kri Hardware TM, Monro TM, Mutants in Orbit TM, Naruni Enterprises TM, Noro TM, Paradise Federation TM, Phase World TM, Rifter TM, SAMAS TM, S.D.C. TM, Seljuks TM, Splugorth TM, Trans-Galactic Empire TM, Tri-Galactic Military Service TM, United Worlds Warlock TM, U.W.W. TM, Wolfen TM, and Zembahk TM are trademarks owned by Kevin Siembieda and Palladium Books Inc. ]
[ Beyond the Supernatural®, Heroes Unlimited®, Nightbane®, Ninjas & Superspies®, Palladium Fantasy®, and Rifts® are registered trademarks owned by Kevin Siembieda and Palladium Books Inc. ]
Writeup by Kitsune (E-Mail Kitsune).
Copyright © 2000, 2010, & 2011, Kitsune. All rights reserved.