Xanadu Station "Lafayette" class Carrier:
(Modified UN SPACY Command Carrier)
The U.N. Spacy force that formed the core of the Xanadu Station space forces included four Command Carriers. Since then, an additional four command carriers have been built to a modified configuration. At the same time, the four pre-existing Command Carriers were refitted. This gives the space forces a solid core of carriers to work with although normally no more than two of the carriers will be detached outside of the system. The refitted command carriers are considered the equivalent of most light carrier classes serving in the Three Galaxies. New Coventry considered using them as the basis for their light carrier design but decided to develop their own class.
The Command Carriers always carried a heavy beam weapon layout which was retained unaltered. While this cuts into the fighters that the ship can carry, it gives the ship the ability to fight on its own. Point defense has been added to protect the vessel from fighters and missiles. This comes in the form of eight light particle beams, eight light rail guns, and eight mini-missile launchers. The long range and medium range missile launcher have been replaced by Consortium style launchers and give the ship far better long range defensive capability. Along with upgrading the weapon systems, the armor has been replaced by more advanced composites and shields have been added to give the vessel additional protection. All electronics have been upgraded and have far better range than they had previously.
Although defensive features were important to be upgraded, just as important were the propulsion systems. The entire drive systems on these ships were removed. The ships were originally propelled by Ion thrusters and had no form of faster than light. The replacement drive systems are Contra-Grav and have both a sublight and faster than light drive. In order to provide enough power for the new propulsion systems, the power plant was upgraded from fusion to anti-matter. The solar backup system was considered very useful and was retained to run life support if the ship is damaged.
In general role, the ships were converted from a combined assault and fleet carrier to space control carrier. The ground Mecha were considered of limited capabilities and were replaced by a combination of Valkyrie fighters and space fighters. In addition to the fighter compliment, these ships carry a marine compliment for shipboard defense. Most reports on the crew compliment are incorrect. While the class can be run by 144 crew members, the crew is actually about four times larger at 580 crew and officers in addition to embarked pilots and troops. The ships retain the ability to act as flag ships and the flag bridges have been completely modernised.
Ship design uses modified starship speeds and weapon ranges. See Revised Starship Rules for Phase World for more details.
Vehicle Type: CC-10-B
Class: Space Command Carrier (non-transformable)
Crew: 580 (70 Officers and 510 Enlisted)
Troops: 64 Marines (including 32 in Silverhawk Power Armor), 264 fighter pilots, and 96 additional passengers.
Vehicle, Robots, and Power Armors:
|32||SH-CCW100 Silverhawk Attack ExoSkeleton|
|12||SF-101LR Black Eagle medium fighter|
|12||BIF-67 Katana fighter ship|
|4||CMS-1X Spitfire Heavy Modular Starfighter|
|48||Improved VF-2SS Valkyrie|
|24||Improved VF-2SS SAP Valkyrie|
|12||Improved VF-2SS SAP Specials Valkyrie|
|36||Improved VF-XX Zentran Valkyrie|
M.D.C. by Location:
|Observation Bubble (1, bridge):||1,500|
|Communications Antennas (2, bridge):||200 each|
| Bridge Tower (1, top):||8,000|
| Secondary Bridge:||8,000|
| Main Engines (2):||25,000 each|
| Secondary Engines (6):||5,000 each|
|Small Guidance Thrusters (24):||200 each|
|Main Cannons (2, forward):||10,000 each|
|Secondary Cannon Arms (2, small):||5,000 each|
|Point Defense Gravity Rail Guns (8):||200 each|
|Point Defense Particle Beam Cannons (8):||150 each|
|Long Range Missile Batteries (4):||600 each|
|Medium Range Missile Batteries (4):||500 each|
|Mini Missile Launchers (12):||100 each|
|Outer Hull (40 ft/ 12.2 m Area):||200|
|Inner Hull (40 ft/ 12.2 m Area):||125|
| Main Body:||60,000|
| Variable Force Field:||5,000 per side (60,000 Total)|
 The main bridge is exposed but is protected by heavy armor. The secondary bridge is deep within the ship and the ship’s main armor must be penetrated (reflected by the high M.D.C. value). The secondary bridge normally acts as the flag bridge when the ship is acting as a Flagship. Even if both bridges are destroyed, the ship can still be piloted from engineering but the ship is -3 to dodge and all weapon systems will be at local control. Weapon hits near the bridge that do not penetrate the ships integrity can injure crew members on or near the bridge.
 Destroying the main engines means that the ship’s FTL propulsion systems are destroyed and maximum sublight speed is reduced by half. Destroying secondary engines reduces the ship’s maximum sublight speed by one quarter.
 Depleting the M.D.C. of the main body will put the command carrier out of commission. All internal systems will shut down, including life support and internal gravity. The ship itself will be an unsalvageable floating wreck.
 Shields positions can be varied and all could be combined in one shield. Shields regenerate at the rate of 5% (3000 M.D.C.) per melee round.
Driving on the Ground: Not Possible.
Sublight: Has a special sublight engine that allows the ship to travel up to 60 percent of the speed of light. Star Ship can accelerate/decelerate at the rate of 0.8 percent of light per melee.
Atmospheric Propulsion: With the addition of contra grav flight, the Lafayette class Command Carrier can land on a planet if absolutely necessary, but is not designed to maneuver in an atmosphere with a maximum speed is 300 mph (480 kph).
Stardrive: Uses a Gravitonic Drive system that allows the ship to reach a maximum of 5.5 light years per hour.
Maximum Range: Effectively Unlimited by either Drive system. Carries about three years worth of supplies on board.
Length: 1,000 feet (305 meters).
Height: 313.6 feet (95.6 meters) including bridge tower.
Width: 334.6 feet (102 meters) at maximum cross-section.
Weight: 4,830,000 tons (4,381,700 metric tons)
Cargo: Can carry up to 30,000 tons total extra material between the various cargo holds. Each enlisted crew member has a small locker for personal items and uniforms. ship’s officers have more space for personal items. Most of the ship’s spaces are taken up by extra ammo, armor, troops, weapons, engine, reaction mass, and equipment.
Power System: Anti-Matter with a 50 year life span. The ship normally only goes 10 years between refueling and refitting. Has a solar emergency backup (indefinite life - Can only power life support and basic systems).
Market Cost: Never been sold but Xanadu station would likely be willing to sell the design to interested parties. The ships would probably cost between 10 to 12 billion credits each. Manufacturing cost is around 8 billion credits
- The Main Cannons (2): The two largest cannons are located in the forward section of the vessel. Each of the cannons can fire individually or simultaneously at the same target. These cannons are capable of devastating destroyers and heavily damaging cruisers in just a few hits. These weapons have standard penalties to hit small targets and cannot be used while the vessel is traveling faster than light.
- Secondary Weapon Arms (2): On each side of the vessel are a pair of weapon arms. The arms can rotate 360 degrees. While not as powerful as the main battery, the weapons are still quite capable of severely damaging destroyers and other large craft. The actual laser cannons are the two stubby nozzles at the end. These weapons have standard penalties to hit small targets and cannot be used while the vessel is traveling faster than light.
- Eight (8) Point Defense Rail Guns: Used as an anti-Starfighter and missile weapon and against targets that are impervious to energy. Each Rail Gun is in a urret that can rotate 360 and has a 180 arc of fire. Projectiles are fired from rail guns at a significant fraction of the speed of light. Cannon uses a 20 mm projectile. The weapon system cannot be used to engage targets while traveling at faster than light velocities but does not have penalties against small targets.
- Eight (8) 25 mm Point Defense Particle Beams: These weapons are used for anti-missile, anti-power armor, and anti-star fighter defense. The weapon system cannot be used to engage targets while traveling at faster than light velocities but does not have penalties against small targets.
- Four (4) Long Range Missile Batteries: Missiles have a top speed of Mach 20 in an atmosphere and in space has an acceleration of 8% of light per turn (faster than any starship.) Whether weapons can be shot down is calculated from the speed of target, launcher, and missile. When drive goes dead, missiles will continue to travel in a straight line unless set to self destruct but has very low odds of hitting star ships (Great for hitting bases and planets because target does not move and missiles when dead are at -25% to detect.) Long range missiles do not have minuses to hit small targets unlike cruise missiles and are all considered smart missiles. Batteries can launch on multiple targets each at the same time.
- Four (4) Medium Range Missile Batteries: Weapon system is used for hitting enemy robots, fighters, and against incoming cruise missiles. Like other Phase world systems, weapon system range and speed has been greatly increased compared to Rifts Earth systems. Missiles have a top speed of Mach 15 in an atmosphere and in space has an acceleration of 6% of light per turn. Batteries can launch on multiple targets each at the same time.
- Eight (8) Mini-Missile Launchers: These are missile turrets used for point defense against enemy fighters and missiles. Missile has a top speed of Mach 10 in an atmosphere and in space has an acceleration of 2% of light per turn (slightly faster than any starship except if it is exceeding it maximum safe acceleration.) Batteries can launch on multiple targets each at the same time.
Maximum Effective Range: 32,000 miles (50,000 km) in space and 32 miles (50 km) in an atmosphere.
Mega-Damage: lD6x1000 M.D. or 2D6x1000 M.D. if both cannons fire simultaneously at the same target.
Rate of Fire: Each cannon can fire three times per melee round (15 seconds) and can be directed at different targets.
Payload: Effectively unlimited.
Maximum Effective Range: 16 miles (25.8 km) through atmosphere and 16,000 miles (25,800 km) in space.
Mega-Damage: lD6x100 M.D. or 2D6x100 M.D. if both cannons fire simultaneously at the same target.
Rate of Fire: Each cannon can shoot five times per melee round (15 seconds) and can be directed at different targets.
Payload: Effectively unlimited.
Maximum Effective Range: 2 miles (3.2 km) through atmosphere and 200 miles (320 km) in space.
Mega-Damage: Rail guns inflict 2D4x10 M.D.C. for a 20 round burst.
Rate of Fire: Equal to the combined hand to hand attacks of the gunner (usually 4 or 5).
Payload: 10,000 Rounds (500 Bursts) each cannon.
Maximum Effective Range: 600 miles (960 km) in space and range is 6 miles (9.6 km) in atmosphere.
Mega Damage: 3D6x10 M.D.C. each.
Rate of Fire: Equal to the combined hand to hand attacks of the gunner (usually 4 or 5).
Payload: Effectively Unlimited.
Maximum Effective Range: Long Range Missile range is 3,400 miles (5,470 km) in an atmosphere and 1,800,000 miles (2,897,000 km/9.7 light seconds) in space.
Mega-Damage & Properties: See revised Phase World missile tables for details (Fusion warheads inflict 2D4x100 M.D.C. each.)
Rate of Fire: Can fire missiles one at a time or in volleys of two (2), eight (8), sixteen (16), or thirty-two (32) missiles per launcher, per melee attack.
Payload: 1280 total, 320 long range missiles per battery.
Maximum Effective Range: Medium Range Missile range is 160 miles (257.5 km) in an atmosphere and 80,000 miles (128,750 km/0.43 light seconds) in space.
Mega-Damage: Varies with medium range missile type (See revised Phase World missile tables for details.)
Rate of Fire: Can fire missiles one at a time or in volleys of two (2), four (4), or eight (8) missiles per battery.
Payload: 200 per launcher for a total of 800 medium range missiles.
Maximum Effective Range: Mini-Missile range is 2 miles (3.2 km) in an atmosphere and 100 miles (161 km) in space.
Mega-Damage: Varies with mini-missile type (See revised Phase World missile tables for details.)
Rate of Fire: Can fire missiles one at a time or in volleys of four (4) or eight (8) missiles.
Payload: 128 per launcher for a total of 1,024 mini-missiles. Cargo hold has an additional 1,024 mini-missile. Reloading launchers from cargo hold takes 1D6 minutes.
[ Brodkil TM, Bushido Industries TM, CAF TM, Catyr TM, CCW TM, Consortium of Civilized Worlds TM, Free Worlds Council TM, Gene Splicers TM, K-Hex TM, Kittani TM, Kreeghor TM, Machine People TM, M.D.C. TM, Mega-Damage TM, M’Kri Hardware TM, Monro TM, Mutants in Orbit TM, Naruni Enterprises TM, Noro TM, Paradise Federation TM, Phase World TM, Rifter TM, SAMAS TM, S.D.C. TM, Seljuks TM, Splugorth TM, Trans-Galactic Empire TM, Tri-Galactic Military Service TM, United Worlds Warlock TM, U.W.W. TM, Wolfen TM, and Zembahk TM are trademarks owned by Kevin Siembieda and Palladium Books Inc. ]
[ Beyond the Supernatural®, Heroes Unlimited®, Nightbane®, Ninjas & Superspies®, Palladium Fantasy®, and Rifts® are registered trademarks owned by Kevin Siembieda and Palladium Books Inc. ]
Writeup by Kitsune (E-Mail Kitsune).
Copyright © 2001, Kitsune. All rights reserved.