British Royal Navy Perseus class Amphibious Transport Dock:
The British Navy, like the United States Navy, had a need for new amphibious vessels in the beginning of the second half of the Twenty-First Century. Earlier vessels, such as the Albion class transport docks, were simply becoming too old to operate. A portion of the British amphibious fleet had previously been civilian crewed and it was decided that the new class of amphibious transports would be Navy manned. The plan was still to use civilian vessels to supplement them. Due to the fact that the amphibious vessel might be assigned with civilian vessels with few escorts, it was decided that they would have the ability to defend both themselves and the ships that they were assigned with as a supplement to the escorts. A total of eight of these vessels were built in two batches with the British considering building two more.
In basic appearance, the Perseus class is similar to the United States Cape Lobos class. The design was planned to be affordable to construct and to operate. Because of this, the vessel was built for the most part under civilian standards. The superstructure was designed to give the vessel some stealth although many do not consider the amphibious vessel to be a true stealth vessel. The engines are also identical to those carried on the Yarmouth Castle class supply ship. While less powerful than the engines carried on the Africa class, it can still reach a speed of twenty-six knots on its two fusion reactors driving two propellers. The engine rooms are very compact which allows for more space devoted to cargo and troops. The vessel carried a large amount of automation to reduce crew requirements.
Weaponry includes two sixteen cell tactical length Mark 41 Missile launchers mounted on the sides of the superstructure as the vessel's main armament. While an old system, the missile launchers were still highly capable. Normally, the launchers were all loaded with medium range missiles. A total of 128 missiles can be carried in that matter. When initially designed, the vessel was planned with two Sea Ram missile launchers and two Goalkeeper point defense mounts. This was replaced during construction by two American combination point defense mounts with a rail gun and short range missile launchers. The ships also carry four 30-mm cannons for protection against small craft. The sensor systems are similar to those carried on the Africa class vessel and are designed to interface with other vessels in the British Navy. The amphibious transport dock does not carry the sonar or command control systems of the Africa class assault ship.
The ships have a dry deck for the ability to carry two air cushion landing crafts of the United States "Crab" class. There was no need for a well deck that could be flooded and the land craft exited the vessel through a door in the back of the vessel. The vessel was designed to be able to carry a large amount of cargo or a large number of vehicles for amphibious operations including tanks, infantry fighting vehicles, and support vehicles. In addition, the Perseus class carries about seven hundred troops including crew for 100 power armors. The vessel has a small hanger which can carry 2 helicopters or other VTOL aircraft. Normally, the Merlin helicopter was carried. To support troops, the vessels have a small medical center that is surprisingly capable. It included two operating rooms and twenty-five patient beds. The vessel also has 100 overflow beds for supporting injured soldiers when support ground assaults.
Two vessels of Perseus class were assigned to the amphibious portion of the Ark Royal task force which was sent down to Argentina in 2072. Two more vessels were being loaded with troops in Great Britain as well but they had not been sent yet. The vessels in the battle group were L205 Theseus and L207 Centaur. Like all other vessel assigned to the battle group, the Amphibious Transport Docks were believed lost when the Ark Royal task force was attacked by Argentinian bombers using nuclear weapons. In fact, all of the nuclear missiles were shot down including one which was shot down by a missile from the Theseus. A few missiles detonated away from the battle group, either through being programmed wrong or through premature detonation but all thought that the missiles hit the British vessels and all were destroyed. Instead the vessels were transported to a time several hundred years in the future.
Model Type: L-201 Perseus class Amphibious Transport Dock Ship
Vehicle Type: Ocean, Amphibious Transport Vessel
Crew: 195 (12 officers, 15 chief petty officers, 168 enlisted [Has a high degree of automation])
Troops: 140 pilots for Gypsy Moth Power Armor, 170 vehicle crew members, and 500 soldiers.
Robots, Power Armors, and Vehicles (Standard):
|100||Gypsy Moth Power Armors|
|2||Westland Merlin HM 1 helicopters (General Cargo / Search and Rescue)|
|4||Vickers Conqueror Heavy Tank|
|8||Vickers Firefly Mk II Infantry Support Tank|
|20||GKN / Vickers Valiant IFV|
|10||USA-M-9 Morgan Missile Vehicle|
M.D.C. by location:
| Rear Flight Deck||750|
|Rear Vehicle Doors:||400|
| Main Bridge / Superstructure:||1000|
| Mini Sampson Active Phased Array Radar System:||500|
|30 mm cannon (4):||50 each|
|Mk 44 Combination Anti-Missile Defense System (4, Superstructure):||200 each|
|MK-41 Tactical length 16 cell VLS (2, sides of superstructure)||100 each|
|Chaff Launchers (4, Superstructure):||10 each|
|Outer Hull (per 40 ft area):||60|
| Main Body:||5,000|
 If the flight deck is destroyed, no aircraft can be launched or land.
 If Bridge / Superstructure is destroyed, the ship can still be piloted from engineering but with a -15% to piloting rolls. Communication and sensor equipment are not concentrated on the bridge to reduce the effectiveness of bridge hits.
 Destroying the Phase Array radar panel will destroy the ship’s main fire control systems but the vessel has backup systems with a shorter range (Equal to robot vehicle sensors)
 Destroying the main body causes the ship to lose structural integrity, causing the ship to sink. There are enough life preservers and inflatable life boats to accommodate everyone on the ship.
Surface: 29.9 mph (26 knots/ 48.1 kph)
Maximum Effective Range: Unlimited due to fusion engines (needs to refuel every 20 years and requires maintenance as well). Ship carries six months of supplies on board.
Length: 608.6 (185.5 meters)
Draft: 24.3 feet (7.4 meters)
Width: 100.1 feet (30.5 meters)
Displacement: 16,800 standard and 23,500 tons fully loaded
Cargo: 6,000 tons of nonessential equipment and supplies (Increase to 12,000 tons without vehicles.) Each enlisted crew member has a small locker for personal items and uniforms. Ships officers have more space for personal items. Most of the ship’s spaces are taken up by extra ammo, armor, troops, weapons, and engines.
Power System: 2 Fusion Reactors, average life span is 20 years
Market Cost: Not for Sale but costs around 350 million credits to construct. If found and sold on the black market would probably cost 1 to 2 billion credits.
- Four (4) Mk 44 "Sea Sabre" Combination Anti-Missile Defense Systems: Bought from the United States as a replacement for aging systems like the Sea RAM and Phalanx CIWS. Two are mounted on the sides of the bridge while the other two are located on the sides of the ships rear hanger. These anti-missile defense systems combine both a rapid fire rail gun and a short range missile launcher. While mounted in one system, both defense systems have separate tracking systems. The short range missile launchers can target up four targets and can fire a volley up too twice per melee. The railgun is capable of destroying any missile or inflicting serious damage on aircraft. The rail gun can fire on automatic at up to six targets per melee (Has +3 to strike missile and +2 to strike aircraft). The system can also be used against other ships and ground targets. The system has a 360 degree rotation and can elevate up to 90 degrees to fire at targets directly overhead.
- 30 mm cannons (4): Four 30 mm cannons were mounted on the sides of the superstructure.. These weapons had a good range and rate of fire, but lacked the punch to do damage to large targets. Since they were manually aimed, they were little good against missiles, and the crew often joked that they were only good for "Shooting life boats and survivors in the water".
- MK-41 16 Cell Tactical Length VLS (2): A very reliable VLS launcher, dating back from the previous century, made in the USA, and exported to numerous countries. In place of two long range missiles, each cell could also hold four medium range missiles. This launcher usually carried only medium range Surface to Air missiles.
- Sea Gnat Chaff Launcher (4): Located on the superstructure of the ship, they are designed to confuse incoming missiles.
Maximum Effective Range: Rail Guns: 11,000 feet (2 miles/ 3.2 km). Short Range Missiles: As per short range missile type (See revised bomb and missile tables for details.)
Mega-Damage: Rail Guns: 3D4x10 MD per burst of 40 rounds (Can only fire burst). Short Range Missiles: As per short range missile type (See revised bomb and missile tables for details.)
Rate of Fire: Rail Guns: 6 attacks per melee. Short Range Missiles: 2 attacks per melee, can fire one at a time or in volleys of two or four.
Payload: Rail Guns: 8000 rounds (200 burst) each. Short Range Missiles: 16 short range missiles each.
Each gun can rotate 360 and has a 180 arc of fire.
Maximum Effective Range: 10,000 feet (3048 meters)
Mega-Damage: 2D6 per round, and 1D6x10 for a burst of 30 rounds.
Rate of Fire: As per gunners Hand to Hand.
Payload: 600 rounds (20 bursts) each. Ship carries an additional 14,000 rounds of ammunition in magazines. Autocannon requires 3 minutes (12 melees) to reload by properly trained personnel (Double for untrained crews).
Maximum Effective Range: As per long or medium range missile type (See revised bomb and missile tables for details.)
Mega-Damage: As per long or medium range missile type (See revised bomb and missile tables for details.)
Rate of Fire: Can fire missiles one at a time or in volleys of two (2), four (4), or sixteen (16) missiles per melee and can be fired at multiple targets at the same time.
Payload: 16 missile cells in each VLS launcher (Can carry a total of 128 medium range missiles). Two long range missiles or four medium range missiles may be carried per cell.
Rifts Earth decoys systems are assumed to not operate on Phase World missiles due to technological difference. Reduce effects by 20% against smart missiles (Add +20% to rolls for smart missiles.)
Maximum Effective Range: Around Ship
Mega Damage: None
- 01-35 - Enemy missile or missile volley detonates in chaff cloud - Missiles are all destroyed.
36-60 - Enemy missile or missile volley loses track of real target and veers away in wrong direction (May lock onto another target.)
61-00 - No effect, enemy missile or missile volley is still on target.
Rifts Earth decoy systems are assumed to not operate on Phase World missiles due to technological differences.
Effects: The decoy has an 65% chance of fooling ordinary non military sonars and non smart guided torpedoes, the decoy has a 35% chance of fooling military level sonars (like those of the Coalition), and the decoy has a 10% chance of fooling advanced military sonars (Like those of the New Navy and Triax) and smart torpedoes.
Maximum Effective Range: Not Applicable
Payload: 1, with five more as reloads. It takes three minutes (twelve melees) to reel out another decoy.
The ship has all systems standard on a robot vehicle plus the following special features:
- BAE Systems Mini Sampson Phased Array Radar System: Powerful and flexible radar system which is comprised of a single array on top of the mainmast. It is controlled by a powerful computer. If allowed by the horizon, the system can track out to 175 nautical miles (201.4 miles / 324.1 km) and can simultaneously track and identify up to 360 targets at one time. The system controls missiles launched from the VLS launchers and the system tracks and guides each individual missile to a individual target for up to 60 targets. If a target is eliminated, missiles are automatically guided to a new target. The system can also control missiles launched from other linked vessels as well and can also act as fire control for gun mounts.
- Signaal Sirius IRST Long range infrared tracking system. Consists of two high powered passive infrared cameras capable of scanning up to 80 miles (128 km) range. Each camera is computer controlled, and the system can track 24 targets simultaneously. The system gives a +10% to read sensory rolls.
- Radar Defeating Profile & Radar Absorbing Materials: The ships superstructure is designed so that the radar profile of the ship is reduced and the ship is covered with radar absorbing materials. Because of this, attempts to detect the ship using radar are made with a -10% penalty to read sensor rolls when attempting to detect this ship. Go to General Detection Penalties for more information on penalties and bonuses to use with stealth.
- Combination Radar Detectors and Active Jamming System: Combination of radar detection system (ESM) and an active jamming system. The system can detect another radar system at 125% of the range of the transmitting radar. In jamming mode, causes -25% to detection but when it is active, other vehicles/ bases can detect that it is jamming, and some missiles will home in on jamming signals. Jamming also causes a -4 penalty to all radar guided weapons.
[ Altarian TM, Bandito Arms TM, Brodkil TM, Chipwell Armaments TM, Coalition States TM, Cyber-Knight TM, Federation of Magic TM, Free Quebec TM, Golden Age Weaponsmiths TM, Iron Heart Armaments TM, Kankoran TM, Kittani TM, Larsen's Brigade TM, M.D.C. TM, Mechanoids TM, Mega-Damage TM, Megaversal Legion TM, Millennium Tree TM, Mutants in Orbit TM, Naruni Enterprises TM, New Navy TM, New Sovietskiy TM, NGR TM, Nog Heng TM, Northern Gun TM, Phase World TM, Psyscape TM, Rifter TM, SAMAS TM, S.D.C. TM, Shemarrian TM, Splugorth TM, Stormspire TM, Sunaj TM, Tolkeen TM, Triax TM, Wellington Industries TM, Wilk's Laser Technologies TM, Xiticix TM, and Zaayr TM are trademarks owned by Kevin Siembieda and Palladium Books Inc. ]
[ Beyond the Supernatural®, Heroes Unlimited®, Nightbane®, Ninjas & Superspies®, Palladium Fantasy®, and Rifts® are registered trademarks owned by Kevin Siembieda and Palladium Books Inc. ]
Writeup by Kitsune (E-Mail Kitsune).
Copyright © 2002, Kitsune. All rights reserved.