Shenyang J-32 Multi-Role Fighter:
The J-25N was an interim design, designed to fill the role of both air force and naval fighter until a new design could be developed. For one thing, it lacked the stealth of the most advanced Western fighters. Development of a new fighter was started immediately. As with the Boeing "Tiger Hornet", it was decided not to use a fresh slate approach and instead base as must of the new fighter on the already operational J-25N.
Develop was slow with the first prototype being delayed in development. The first prototype flew in 2053 with production not starting until 2058. Production continued until the coming of the Rifts although a new fighter was under development at the time. In total, several thousands of these fighters were built. Most were operated by the Chinese air force although the fighter was also operated in some number by the Chinese navy. Only a limited numbers of the J-32 fighter were exported.
While often compared to the F/A-28 Tiger Hornet, the J-32 is a much larger fighter, more close in size to the F-15SSE Super Silent Eagle. Even so, unlike the Super Silent Eagle, the J-32 was designed around a completely new airframe. Some have also compared the J-32 to the F-22 Raptor although considered to have inferior stealth to the F-22. All versions could operate from carriers although air force pilots generally did not train for carrier take offs and landing. Both air force and naval versions of the fighter are fitted with a tail hook.
The biggest change of the J-32 compared to the J-25N design is the air frame. The J-32 has a completely new air frame although much of the internal structure is similar. The inlets of the engines are changed to vastly reduce radar cross signature for the front with the rest of the design also designed to reduce the radar cross signature as much as possible. The composites are slightly stronger than the materials used on the J-25N. The material is a very dark grey, almost black.
As with most low radar cross signature designs, the J-32 has several bays. There are two large bays between the engines and a single smaller bay outside the engine mounts. Each of the larger bay can carry two long range missiles or a mixture of smaller ordnance including bombs. Each of the smaller bays can carry two medium range missiles or four short range missiles per bay. In addition, the fighter has six external hard points. These can carry a wide variety of ordnance including bombs and mini-missile pods. External ordnance vastly increases the fighter's radar cross signature so it is rarely carried.
The copy of the 30 mm Russian Gryazev-Shipunov Gsh-301 with 150 rounds of ammunition is retained in the starboard wing root. It uses special Ram-jet ammunition so it is effective against the new composites and alloys. Due to the limited payload, it was decided to supplement the cannon with an energy weapon in later models. Pulling power from the engines, a short range Ion blaster is mounted beside the 30 mm cannon. It is shorter ranged and less damaging but is still a useful supplement to the 30 mm cannon.
The WFT-20 fusion turbines are retained from the J-25N. The airframe has slightly more drag and the J-32 has a top speed of Mach 2.65 compared to Mach 2.7 for the J-25N. Even so, the J-32 is quite a bit faster than the F/A-28 Tiger Hornet. As with the J-25N, the J-32 will overheat if operated for an extended time but is otherwise virtually unlimited in range. Additional internal ordnance does not increase drag of the fighter. The engines are vectored for great maneuverability and short take off and landing. The forward canards of the J-25N are not retained because they would reduce the fighter's stealth. Along with the engines, it has a very similar fly-by-wire system to the J-25.
Electronics from the F-25N are also mostly retained with the same Active Electronically Scanned Array (AESA) radar as the J-25N fighter. There was some consideration given towards developing a more effective and longer ranged radar array but still was quite capable. Able to track up to twenty-four targets simultaneously, the radar is much harder to detect that previous types of radar and can actually jam other radar systems. In addition, the aircraft has a powerful jamming array. Infra-Red sensors and radar detection gear allow the fighter to operate without any active sensors. The single place cockpit has only relatively minor modifications from the cockpit of the J-25N. Unlike the F-25N, the J-32 has an internal towed decoy system on the wing tips.
Designation: Shenyang J-32
Vehicle Type: Twin Engine Multi-Role Fighter
M.D.C. by Location:
|Gryazev-Shipunov Gsh-301 30 mm cannon (wing root):||25|
|Ion Beam Blaster (wing root - later models):||10|
|Large Internal Ordnance Bays (2; hatch):||50 each|
|Small Internal Ordnance Bays (2; hatch):||40 each|
|Ordnance Hard Points (6):||10 each|
| Wings (2):||120 each|
| Elevators (2):||60 each|
| Rudders (2):||65 each|
| Engines (2):||130 each|
|Landing Gear (3):||10 each|
| Main Body:||190|
 Destroying a Wing will cause the plane to crash
 Destruction of rudders or one elevator will still allow the fighter to be controlled by the varying of power levels of the engines but the fighter has a penalty of -10 to dodge, and a -30% penalty to all piloting rolls. Destruction of both of the elevators will leave the plane uncontrollable and pilot must eject to survive.
 The destruction of one engine will reduce the fighter’s top speed by half and give the pilot a -2 penalty to dodge as well as giving a 10% penalty to piloting. Destruction of both engines will cause the aircraft to crash. Pilot may attempt an emergency landing or pilot can choose to eject.
 Depleting the M.D.C. of the main body will shut the Aircraft down completely, rendering it useless and causing it to crash if in flight. Damage to the main body will also reduce the aircraft's stealth, for every 10% of damage to the main body, reduce the aircraft's stealth by 10% of its total.
Driving on Ground (Taxiing): Only possible for take offs and landings as well as for parking and storage. Speed is 40 mph (64 kph) when traveling and not on take off or landing. Because of the vectoring of the thrusters, the fighter can take off in a short distance.
Flying: The J-32 fighter has a top speed of Mach 2.65 (1,707.4 knots / 1964.9 mph/ 3,162.1 kph.) Its cruise speed is up to Mach 1.0 (644.3 knots / 741.5 mph/ 1,193.3 kph) and has a maximum altitude is about 65,000 feet/ 19,812 meters. When the fighter is carrying ordnance on its external hard points, the fighter has a top speed of Mach 2.45 (1578.6 knots/ 1,816.6 mph / 2,923.5 kph) but reduction in fighter's top speed is negligible with internal ordnance.
Range: Effectively Unlimited. Thrusters overheat after 8 hours of use from 200 mph (321.9 kph) to 600 mph (965.6 kph), and 4 hours of use over 600 mph (965.6 kph).
Height: 19.5 feet (5.9 meters)
Wingspan: 48.88 feet (14.9 meters)
Length: 72.51 feet (22.1 meters)
Weight: 54,674.6 pounds (24,800 kg) empty and 80,468.7 pounds (36,500 kg) fully loaded
Power System: Twin WFT-20 fusion turbines, Should have an average lifespan of 8 years.
Cargo: Minimal (Storage for small equipment), does not include hard points or ordnance bays. Small ordnance bays can carry 1000 lbs (454 kg) each and large bays can carry 2000 lbs (908 kg) each
Black Market Cost: Extremely rare, costs range from around 55 to 75 million when available (Can sometimes sell for double that price).
- One (1) Gryazev-Shipunov Gsh-301 30 mm cannon: Direct copy
of the Soviet weapon system. Fixed and is mounted on the base of the fighter's
starboard wing root. It serves as the one of last line of defense against
enemy planes and missile volleys, although some pilots use it for strafing
runs against ground targets when they are out of missiles. Many pilots
do not like being exposed to ground weapons fire so it is an uncommon practice.
The standard ammunition has been replaced by high density ramjet ammunition
which inflicts heavy damage and enables the fighter to hold its own against
other fighter weapons.
Maximum Effective Range: 6,560 feet (2,000 meters / 2 kilometers).
Mega Damage: 1D6x10 for a short burst of 10 round burst and 2D6x10 for a long burst of 20 round burst, 3D6 for each round.
Rate of Fire: Equal to the combined hand to hand attacks of the pilot (usually 4 or 5).
Payload: 150 rounds (15 short bursts or 7 long bursts)
- One (1) Ion Beam Blaster (Later Models):Mounted next to the 30 mm cannon, this weapon was added on later versions of the fighter to give the fighter a weapon system that does not rely on ammunition. The weapon system inflicts fairly good damage but has a relatively short range. The weapon is used for a variety of different targets. The weapon can fire single shot or three round bursts.
Maximum Effective Range: 1,600 feet (1,200 meters).
Mega Damage: 2D6 for single shot and 6D6 for three round burst.
Rate of Fire:Equal to the pilots combined hand to hand (usually 5 or 6).
Payload: Unlimited (Draws Power off the main engines).
- Two (2) Main Ordnance Bays: Each bay can carry 2 long range
missiles, 4 medium range missiles, or their equivalent in smaller ordnance
or bombs. Ordnance types can include missiles, torpedoes, naval mines,
and bombs. Missile and bomb sizes may be mixed between different types
of ordnance but an ordnance drop or launch must include the same type and
size of ordnance. Ordnance may be carried at the rate of four short range
missile, four light bombs, two medium range missiles, or two medium bombs
for one long range missile or heavy bomb. Both guided and unguided ordnance
may be carried. On two crew versions of the aircraft, the weapons officer
controls the missiles but the pilot has auxiliary controls.
Maximum Effective Range: Varies by missile type for missile and varies by altitude dropped at (See revised bomb and missile tables for details.)
Mega Damage: Varies by missile or bomb type (See revised bomb and missile tables for details.)
Rate of Fire: Ordnance is dropped or fired one at a time or in volleys of two (2), five (5), or eight (8) but must be the same size (light, medium, or heavy) and style of ordnance (all missiles or bombs in a volley)
Payload: Eight (8) short range missile or light bombs, four (4) medium range missiles or medium bombs, or two (2) long range missile or heavy bomb each bay. Ordnance can be mixed and naval mines may be carried as well as missiles and bombs.
- Two (2) Secondary Ordnance Bays: The aircraft has two ordnance
bays on the intake sides. Unlike the primary bays, the ordnance bays are
limited to missiles. Only medium range or short range missiles can be carried
in these ordnance bays. Ordnance may be carried at the rate of two short
range missiles for one medium range missile. Missiles can be mixed and
matched but normally the bay carries all the same type of missiles. On
two crew versions of the aircraft, the weapons officer controls the missiles
but the pilot has auxiliary controls.
Maximum Effective Range: Varies by missile type for missile (See revised bomb and missile tables for details.)
Mega Damage: Varies by missile type (See revised bomb and missile tables for details.)
Rate of Fire: Missiles can be fired one at a time or in volleys of two (2), or four (4) but must be the same size (light or medium).
Payload: Four (4) short range missile or two (2) medium range missiles each bay.
- Six (6) External Hard Points: The J-32 has a total of six
hard points with three hard-points on each wing of the aircraft. Each hard
points must carry the same type of ordnance but different hard points may
carry different ordnance types but ordnance is normally carried in symmetrical
pairs. Both unguided and guided bombs can be carried by the aircraft. Fuel
tanks can be carried on fuselage and hard points. Fuselage hard points
cannot carry mini-missile pods and towed decoys and wingtip hard points
cannot carry bombs.
- Bombs and Missiles: The only restriction is that a hard point
must carry all the same type of missiles or bombs. Both unguided and guided
bombs can be carried. In two pilot versions, short range missile racks
are controlled by either the pilot or the weapons officer.
Maximum Effective Range: Varies by missile type for missile and varies by altitude bombs are dropped at (See revised bomb and missile tables for details.)
Mega Damage: Varies by missile or bomb type (See revised bomb and missile tables for details.)
Rate of Fire: Missile can be fire and bombs can be dropped one at a time per hard point. Multiple hard points can be linked as one attack but must be the same size (light, medium, or heavy) and style of ordnance (all missiles or bombs in a volley)
Payload: Four (4) short range missiles or light bombs, two (2) medium range missiles or medium bombs, or one (1) long range missile or heavy bomb (all ordnance on a hard point must be the same size and type of ordnance) each hard point.
- Mini-Missile Pod: Large capacity mini-missile pod. The mini
missile pods are normally carried for ground strafing, anti-troop, and
anti-emplacement attacks. Normal missile used are armor piercing, plasma,
or fragmentation mini-missiles. In two pilot versions, mini missile pods
are controlled by the pilot.
Maximum Effective Range: Varies with missile types, mini-missiles only (See revised bomb and missile tables for details.)
Mega-Damage: Varies with mini-missile types (See revised bomb and missile tables for details.)
Rate of Fire: Each pod can fire one at a time or in volleys of two (2), four (4), eight (8), or sixteen (16) and can be linked with other mini missile pods for greater number of missiles (Counts as one attack no matter how many missiles in volley)
Payload: Each pod carries sixteen (16) mini-missiles.
- Towed Decoys (4): The pod takes place of all ordnance on
the Hard Point. The aircraft can carry a special pod that carries four
advanced towed decoy drones. These drones are dragged about 328 feet (100
meters) behind the aircraft on a thin cable. Each is a specially designed
radar lure that creates a radar image to mimic the aircraft. If decoys
are not destroyed, they can be recovered and repaired. Rifts Earth decoy
systems are assumed to not operate against Phase World weapons due to technological
Effects: The decoy has an 65% chance of fooling ordinary non military radars and non smart guided missiles, the decoy has a 35% chance of fooling military level radars (like those of the Coalition), and the decoy has a 10% chance of fooling advanced military radars (Like those of the New Navy and Triax) and smart missiles.
Range: Not Applicable although the decoy is deployed 328 feet (100 meters) from the aircraft
Rate of Fire: One can be deployed at a time and requires 15 seconds to deploy (Reel Out) another decoy
Payload: Four (4) Decoys each pod.
- Bombs and Missiles: The only restriction is that a hard point must carry all the same type of missiles or bombs. Both unguided and guided bombs can be carried. In two pilot versions, short range missile racks are controlled by either the pilot or the weapons officer.
- One (1) Anti-Missile Chaff/Flare Dispenser: Use the same
effects as the TRIAX model. However, each time the system is engaged, the
system fires off one chaff and 1D4 flares. Rifts Earth decoy systems are
assumed to not operate against Phase World missiles due to technological
difference. Reduce effects by 20% against smart missiles (Add +20% to rolls
for smart missiles.)
- 01-50 Enemy missile or missile volley detonates in chaff cloud - Missiles
are all destroyed.
51-75 Enemy missile or missile volley loses track of real target and veers away in wrong direction (May lock onto another target.)
76-00 No effect, enemy missile or missile volley is still on target.
Duration: 1D4 melee rounds.
Payload: 20 chaff, 40 flares. Each time the system is engaged, the system fires off one chaff and 1D4 flares.
- Four (4) Towed Decoys: The J-32 mounts two dispensers for
towed decoys with one near the tip of each wing but merged as part of the
wing itself and are not obvious. Each dispenser has two towed decoys. The
decoys are not as advanced as those carried on American fighters built
at the same time. These drones are dragged about 328 feet (100 meters)
behind the aircraft on a thin cable. Each is a specially designed radar
lure that creates a radar image to mimic the aircraft. If decoys are not
destroyed, they can be recovered and repaired. Rifts Earth decoy systems
are assumed to not operate against Phase World weapons due to technological
Effects: The decoy has an 65% chance of fooling ordinary non military radars and non smart guided missiles, the decoy has a 35% chance of fooling military level radars (like those of the Coalition), and the decoy has a 10% chance of fooling advanced military radars (Like those of the New Navy and TRIAX) and smart missiles.
Range: Not Applicable although decoy is deployed 328 feet (100 meters) from the aircraft
Rate of Fire: One can be deployed at a time and requires 15 seconds to deploy (Reel Out) another decoy
Payload: 4 Decoys (2 each)
The fighter has all the standard features of a standard fighter (same as standard robot minus loudspeaker and microphone) plus these special features listed below.
- Stealth Feature: The J-32 fighter has stealth feature and has a
-50% to be detected because of its stealth. Opening the ordnance bays greatly
increase the aircrafts radar signature from the underside of the aircraft
and aircraft creates no penalties to be detected in those conditions. In
addition, while the aircraft remains hard to detect on radar, the fighter's
external ordnance is easy to detect (and the fighter as a result) unless
the ordnance is designed from radar absorbing materials as well. Reduce
aircrafts stealth by 5% for every hard point carrying ordinance. For
example, if two of the hard points are carrying ordinance the aircrafts
would give a -40% penalty to be detected (50%-10%=40%)
Go to General Detection Penalties for more information on penalties and bonuses to use with stealth.
- Active Phased Array Radar: 152.2 miles (132.2 nautical miles / 245 km), can identify and track up to 24 targets simultaneously, It is also capable of Terrain Following for low altitude flight. With Combat & Targeting Computer, the Freestyle can fire missiles at up to eight targets at the same time.
- FLIR: Forward Looking Infrared. Allows pilot to get visuals on targets at night.
- Internal Active Jamming Gear: Causes -25% to detection but when it is active, other vehicles/ bases can detect that it is jamming, and some missiles will home in on jamming signals. Jamming also causes a -4 penalty to all radar guided weapons.
- E.S.M.: Radar Detector, Passively detects other radars being operated.
- +2 to strike
+3 to dodge
+5 to dodge while traveling over 300 mph
+10% to piloting
[ Altarian TM, Bandito Arms TM, Brodkil TM, Chipwell Armaments TM, Coalition States TM, Cyber-Knight TM, Federation of Magic TM, Free Quebec TM, Golden Age Weaponsmiths TM, Iron Heart Armaments TM, Kankoran TM, Kittani TM, Larsen's Brigade TM, M.D.C. TM, Mechanoids TM, Mega-Damage TM, Megaversal Legion TM, Millennium Tree TM, Mutants in Orbit TM, Naruni Enterprises TM, New Navy TM, New Sovietskiy TM, NGR TM, Nog Heng TM, Northern Gun TM, Phase World TM, Psyscape TM, Rifter TM, SAMAS TM, S.D.C. TM, Shemarrian TM, Splugorth TM, Stormspire TM, Sunaj TM, Tolkeen TM, Triax TM, Wellington Industries TM, Wilk's Laser Technologies TM, Xiticix TM, and Zaayr TM are trademarks owned by Kevin Siembieda and Palladium Books Inc. ]
[ Beyond the Supernatural®, Heroes Unlimited®, Nightbane®, Ninjas & Superspies®, Palladium Fantasy®, and Rifts® are registered trademarks owned by Kevin Siembieda and Palladium Books Inc. ]
Writeup by Kitsune (E-Mail Kitsune).
Copyright © 2012, Kitsune. All rights reserved.