Norwegian Fridtjof Nansen class Frigate:
The Norwegian Navy built a total of five Fridtjof Nansen class frigate. Named after famous Norwegian explorers, these frigates mounted the SPY-1F radar system and Aegis fire control system and were far more capable than previous Oslo class of frigates in the Norwegian Navy. At 5,290 tons fully loaded, the Norwegian frigates could be considered virtually the size of an older destroyer. As with most designs developed around the time, Fridtjof Nansen class frigate was designed to be partially stealthy. It was far more habitable than the previous frigate class. There was a single hanger for an embarked helicopter. The first of the class was completed in 2006 and the last did not commission until 2011. With the comparative peace, these frigates often operated in the anti-piracy role.
These vessels were designed with the ability to add additional weapon systems but were initially fitted with a single short eight cell Mk 41 vertical launch system carrying thirty-two ESSM missiles, an OTO Melara super rapid 76 mm gun, eight Naval Strike Missiles in four tubes on either side of the superstructure, twin torpedo tubes on each side of the vessel firing the Stingray torpedo, and depth charges. Potential upgrades included additional Mk 41 missile cells and a close in weapon system mount.
Like many other navies, the introduction of high strength alloys and composites in the mid 2030s made these vessels effectively obsolete. There was consideration given towards replacing the class but it was decided to rebuild the frigate class using the new materials. In the end, a more extensive rebuilding and refitted was done including the upgrading of both the weapon systems and propulsion system. The final frigate did not finish being refitted until 2050.
It was decided that the single short length eight cell Mk 41 VLS would be augmented with the an additional eight cell launchers that the vessel was designed originally giving a total of sixteen cells. This gave the frigate the ability to carry a maximum of sixty four medium range missiles. Due to the length of the launcher, larger missiles could still not be carried. It was decided that a close in defense system would be mounted at the same time. There was discussion if a gun based close defense system or missile based system would be fitted above the hanger. In the end, the Mk 49 Rolling Airframe Missile launcher was fitted when the vessels were refitted.
The other weapon systems were retained although new ordnance was developed for the weapon systems. This included new projectiles for the 76 mm gun mounts. New plasma and armor piecing rounds were commonly carried. New medium range torpedoes were fitted to the twin torpedo tubes as well as side mounted missile tubes being refitted to fire standard long range missiles.
Propulsion ordinally was a pair of Bazan Bravo 12V diesel engines for cruising and a single General Electric LM-2500 gas turbine as a "dash" engine. In the refit, the diesel engines were completely removed with the gas turbine engine replaced by a single fusion turbine. Fusion turbines were originally developed for fighters but were adapted for other uses including marine uses. Far more powerful than the original gas turbine, this single fusion turbine increased top speed by three knots from the original top speed of twenty-six knots and gave virtually unlimited endurance. The propellor shafts were replaced by stronger shafts to withstand the additional power although variable pitch propellor were retained.
As refitted, these frigates remained in service for twenty more years. In later years, light power armors were embarked in addition to the helicopter or other VTOL aircraft. An early power armor embarked was the Gypsy Moth Power Armor with an attached flight pack. It was not until around 2070 that these vessels were finally retired to mothball status. There was some consideration given towards bringing them back into service but instead remained retired. If not for the ongoing tensions, the frigates would most likely have been scrapped but instead were maintained.
It is suspected that most of these ships were destroyed but at least one of the vessels, the Thor Heyerdahl survived. Found stranded on a beach, it was recovered by a group of adventurers who decided to recover the vessel. It required extensive rebuilding including the replacement of both propellers but was able to be rebuilt and reconditioned. There is a joke among the crew who recovered the vessel that the god Thor decided to protect the vessel that carried his name.
Model Type: Modified F85 Fridtjof Nansen class Frigate (Project
Class: Guided Missile Frigate
Crew: 126 total; 8 officers, 12 chief petty officer, 100 enlisted. (Can embark an addition 20 personnel)
Robots, Power Armors, and Vehicles:
|10||Flying Power Armors|
|1||Helicopters or other VTOL Aircraft|
M.D.C. by Location:
|OTO-Melara 3 inch (76-mm)/62-cal Super Rapid (1, Bow):||200|
|Mk 41 Short 16 cells Vertical Launch System (1, Forward):||160|
|GDC Mk 49 Rolling Airframe Missile Launcher (1, Hanger):||150|
|Long Range Missile Canisters (8 total, 2 x 4 amidships)||80 each|
|Twin Medium Torpedo Tubes (2, Sides)||50 each|
| SPY-1F Phase Array Radar Panels (4, Superstructure):||180 each|
| Reutech RSR 210N Ground / Air Radar (1, Superstructure):||50|
|Sea Gnat Chaff / Decoy Launcher (4, Superstructure):||10 each|
|Outer Hull (per 80 ft area):||50|
| Main Body:||900|
 Destroying the SPY-1F Phase Array radar panels will destroy the ship's main fire control systems but weapon have backup systems and panels can compensate for each other. The Reutech RSR 210N 2D Radar system has limited tracking and targeting ability.
 Depleting the M.D.C. of the main body destroys the ship's structural integrity, causing it to sink. There are enough flotation devices and inflatable life rafts to accommodate everyone aboard.
Surface: 33.4 mph (29 knots/ 53.7 kph.) Has a retractable electrical thruster in the bow which can propel the boat up to 5.8 mph (5 knots / 9.3 kph)
Range: Effectively Unlimited due to fusion engines (needs to refuel every 15 years and requires maintenance as well). Ship carries 4 months of supplies on board.
Draft: 25.1 feet (7.6 meters) including hull sonar
Width: 54.3 feet (16.8 meters)
Length: 439.6 feet (134.0 meters)
Displacement: 4,800 tons light and 5,600 tons fully loaded
Cargo: 120 tons (108.9 metric tons) of nonessential equipment and supplies. Each enlisted crew member has a small locker for personal items and uniforms. Ships officers have more space for personal items. Most of the ship's spaces are taken up by extra ammo, armor, troops, weapons, and engines.
Power System: Originally conventional diesel and gas turbine propulsion (CODOG), converted to a single nuclear reactor with an average life span of 15 years.
Black Market Price: Not for Sale but if found on the black market would probably cost 225 million credits or more if intact and operational.
- One (1) OTO Melara 76mm/62 Super Rapid Naval Gun: The ship mounts a rapid fire three inch gun mount near the bow of vessel. The gun is very reliable and fires very rapidly (About 120 rounds per minute). The main weaknesses of the gun are its relatively short range and the fact it cannot use rocket assisted projectiles. The gun was carried on many ship classes around the world until well into the twenty first century. The guns can be used against other ships, ground targets, aircraft, and even missiles. These guns were among the smallest that could use a proximity fuse for their warheads.
- One (1) Short MK 41 Vertical Launch Missile Launchers: This forward launcher has 16 cells for missiles. Originally the ship only had eight cells. These launchers are the short launchers only able to fire short range missiles. The launcher was originally design for the ESSM missile which could be quad packed. On Rifts Earth, the launchers have been adapted to hold four medium range missiles per cell. Missiles are used for defense against aircraft and missiles.
- Eight (8) Long Range Missile Canister Launchers: These launchers are special canisters amidships on the ship's superstructure. These canisters were originally designed for the Naval Strike Missiles. These canisters are slightly smaller than the Old United States Harpoon canister launchers. While the launchers are reusable, they are still inexpensive and are easily jettisoned if damages. While any long range missile type can be carried, usually special surface skimming missiles will be carried in launchers and are used against surface targets only.
- One (1) GDC Mk 49 Rolling Airframe Missile Quad Launchers: This is a Pre-Rifts RAM missile launching system and has been modified to use 21 Short Range Missiles. These missile mounts main purpose is for inner anti-missile point defense and was originally designed to deal with cruise missiles. Short Range Missiles are usually a mixture of 50% Armor Piercing and 50% Plasma. Launchers can lock onto multiple targets at the same. The systems missile launchers can target up four targets and can fire a volley up to twice per melee.
- Two (2) Torpedo Launchers: There is one launcher on each side of the ship. Each torpedo launcher has two torpedo tubes and tubes are 12.75 in (324 mm) wide. Torpedoes are normally used against submarines but can be targeted on surface targets as well. Ship carries 60 reloads for torpedoes. For the most part torpedo warheads are equal to medium range missile warheads.
- Depth Charge Launchers (2): Vessel has two depth charge launchers. The weapon is designed to be used against submarines and underwater targets but in many ways is obsoleted due to being inaccurate.
- Four (4) Sea Gnat Chaff / Decoy Launchers: Located on the superstructure of the ship, they are designed to confuse incoming missiles. Reduce effects by 20% against smart missiles (Add +20% to rolls for smart missiles.) Torpedo decoys can also be fired from launcher. These land in the water and act as noisemakers to decoy torpedoes. Rifts Earth decoys systems are assumed to not operate on Phase World missiles due to technological difference.
Maximum Effective Range: 4.9 miles (4.3 nautical miles/8.0 km) for standard projectiles
Mega-Damage: High Explosive: 1D4x10 MDC with 10 ft (3 m) blast radius per single shot and 3D4x10 MDC with 20 ft (6.1 m) blast radius for three round burst. High Explosive Armor Piercing: 1D6x10 MDC with 4 ft (1.2 m) blast radius per single shot and 3D6x10 MDC with 8 ft blast radius for three round burst. Plasma: 2D4x10 MDC with 12 ft (3.7 m) blast radius per single shot and 6D4x10 MDC with 25 ft (7.6 m) blast radius for three round burst.
Rate of Fire: Equal to Gunners Hand to Hand (Three round bursts count as one attack).
Payload: 85 Rounds ready to fire. Ship normally carries usually carries and additional 240 rounds divided between 80 High Explosive, 80 High Explosive Armor Piercing, and 80 Plasma.
Maximum Effective Range: As per medium range missile type (Go to Revised bomb and missile table.)
Mega Damage: As per medium range missile type (Go to Revised bomb and missile table.)
Rate of fire: One at a time or in volleys of 2, 4, or 16 for launcher per melee and can be fired at multiple targets at the same time.
Payload: 16 cells missiles in forward VLS launcher (possible total of 64 medium range missiles). Only medium range missiles can be carried and the ship carries no reloads.
Maximum Effective Range: As per long range missile type (Surface skimming missiles have 25% less range than normal long range missile, Go to Revised bomb and missile table.)
Mega Damage: As per long range missile type (Go to Revised bomb and missile table.)
Rate of fire: One at a time or in volleys of two (2), four (4), or eight (8) [All launcher operates together]
Payload: One missile each launcher for a grand total of eight (8) long range missiles (Has no missiles in storage for reloads).
Maximum Effective Range: As per short range missile type (Go to Revised bomb and missile table.)
Mega Damage: As per short range missile type (Go to Revised bomb and missile table.)
Rate of fire: One at a time or in volleys of two (2) or four (4) and can be used up to twice per melee.
Payload: 21 missiles each.
Maximum Effective Range: 20 miles (32 km)
Mega Damage: By Medium torpedo warhead type (See Revised Rifts Torpedoes.)
Rate of fire: One at a time or in volleys of 2 per side, Reloading takes 1 full melee
Payload: Two torpedoes each launcher for a grand total of four torpedoes (Has 20 torpedoes for reloads)
Maximum Effective Range: Up to 2000 feet (610 meters)
Mega-Damage: 2D4x10 M.D. - explosive canisters.
Rate of Fire: One at a time or volleys of two. A single depth charge or a pair can be launched three times per melee round.
Payload: 20 depth charges in each launcher.
Range: Around Ship
Mega Damage: None
- 01-35 Missile or Missile volley detonates in chaff
36-60 Missile or Missile volley loses track of target, may lock onto another target
61-00 No Effect; Missile Still on target
- 50% of decoying normal torpedoes and 20% of decoying smart torpedoes.
The ship has all systems standard on a robot vehicle plus the following special features:
- Lockheed Martin AN/SPY-1F+ 3-D Multifunction Phased Array Radar: Powerful and flexible pre-rifts radar system that is comprised of four panels that each emit radar waves. It is smaller and has less emitters than the SPY-1D system. Less advanced than the phased radar system fitted on the Coalition ships but still powerful. If allowed by the horizon, the system can track out to 175 nautical miles (201.4 miles / 324.1 km) and can simultaneously track and identify up to 192 targets at one time. The system controls missile launched from the long range missile launchers and the system track and guide each individual missile to a individual target for up to 64 targets. If a target is eliminated, missiles are automatically guided to a new target. The system can also control missiles launched from other linked vessels as well and can also act as fire control for gun mounts.
- Reutech RSR 210N 2D Ground / Air Search Radar: Relatively short range radar but still highly effective. Radar system has a range of 27 nautical miles (31.1 miles / 50 km). Radar system can track up to 64 targets simultaneously.
- Thales Underwater Systems TMS-2633 (MRS 2000) Spherion Hull Mounted Sonar System: Mounted under the bow of the ship. Sonar system has a range of around 6 nautical miles (6.9 miles / 11.1 km). This hull sonar system has both a passive and active system built in. Sonar system can track up to 16 targets at one time.
- Thales Underwater Systems CAPTAS Mk II V1 Towed Array Sonar: The system is basically a long and very sensitive sonar system carried behind the ship on a long cable. Sonar system has a range of around 90 nautical miles (103.6 miles/166.8 km). This towed array Sonar is a passive only sensor system. Sonar system can track up to 32 targets at one time.
- Radar Defeating Profile & Radar Absorbing Materials: The ship superstructure is designed so that the radar profile of the ship is reduced and the ship is covered with radar absorbing materials. Because of this, attempts to detect the ship using radar are made with a -10% penalty to read sensor rolls when attempting to detect this ship. Go to General Detection Penalties for more information on penalties and bonuses to use with stealth.
- Sonar Masking System: The ship uses water bubbles to form a barrier against sonar as well as a shrouded propellor and sound absorbing materials. Gives a -20% penalty to any Read Sensory Instrument rolls to detect this ship using sonar.
- Combination Radar Detectors and Active Jamming System: Combination of radar detection system (ESM) and an active jamming system. The system can detect another radar system at 125% of the range of the transmitting radar. In jamming mode, causes -25% to detection but when it is active, other vehicles/ bases can detect that it is jamming, and some missiles will home in on jamming signals. Jamming also causes a -4 penalty to all radar guided weapons.
[ Altarian TM, Bandito Arms TM, Chipwell Armaments TM, Coalition States TM, Cyber-Knight TM, Federation of Magic TM, Free Quebec TM, Golden Age Weaponsmiths TM, Iron Heart Armaments TM, Kittani TM, Larsen's Brigade TM, Mechanoids TM, Mega-Damage TM, Megaversal Legion TM, Millennium Tree TM, Mutants in Orbit TM, Naruni Enterprises TM, New Navy TM, New Sovietskiy TM, NGR TM, Northern Gun TM, Phase World TM, Psyscape TM, Rifter TM, SAMAS TM, S.D.C. TM, Shemarrian TM, Splugorth TM, Stormspire TM, Sunaj TM, Tolkeen TM, Triax TM, Wellington Industries TM, Wilk's Laser Technologies TM, and Xiticix TM are trademarks owned by Kevin Siembieda and Palladium Books Inc. ]
[ Beyond the Supernatural®, Heroes Unlimited®, Nightbane®, Ninjas & Superspies®, Palladium Fantasy®, and Rifts® are registered trademarks owned by Kevin Siembieda and Palladium Books Inc. ]
Mischa has no art home Page at present but many other items on my site.
Writeup by Kitsune (E-Mail Kitsune).
Copyright © 2011, Kitsune. All rights reserved.