New Sovietskiy Arkhangelsk class Nuclear Aircraft Carrier:
The rebuilding of the Soviet Navy took the rest of the world by surprise. Soviet construction programs included destroyers, cruisers, corvettes, submarines, amphibious vessels, and support ships. It also included the construction of new carriers. One of the few vessels built before the pre Soviet restoration, the carrier Kuznetsov, was extensively rebuilt and became a very important vessel in the expanding Soviet fleet. A total of six large carriers followed the rebuilding of the older vessel. Construction was relatively slow with only one shipyard capable of building the new carriers. The first of the class was laid down in 2042 and took eleven years to go between the laying of the keel and the commissioning. The later vessels of the class took less time and required around seven years a piece to complete. The six vessels were the largest vessels in the Soviet fleet until just before the coming of the Rifts and there were no plans to take these ships out of service. They formed the center of powerful Soviet battle fleets and were the pride of the Soviet Navy. There are several recorded incidents where Soviet carrier battle groups faced off similar American carrier groups which got very tense but none resulted in shooting. Two more surface carriers were planned just before the coming of the Rifts which would have been built to a slightly different design which would have been slightly larger and able to handle more aircraft. The new carriers were never completed and their hulls are believed to have been destroyed with the magic storms spawned by the coming of the Rifts. Like all new vessels of the Soviet Navy, their composite construction made them virtually immune to the environment. None of the Soviet surface carriers are known to have survived but three of the vessels were at sea and could have escaped destruction. Like the United States, the Soviet Navy built strike hardened bunkers for their carriers and they might have survived as well. No one is known to have visited the bunker's locations and their status is unknown.
These ships are similar in overall appearance to the carrier Kuznetsov but have many key difference. One of the most noticeable is that the carrier does not have a ski jump but instead uses catapults. While the United States and Great Britain switched to electro-magnetic catapults, the Soviet navy mounted steam catapults due to having problems with the development of electro-magnetic catapults. The catapults on the carriers planned before the coming of the Rifts would have carried electro-magnetic catapults and there was much discussion of upgrading the catapults on the Arkhangelsk class to electro-magnetic models but time prevented this. The superstructure is more square and is smaller than the superstructure of the Kuznetsov but is far larger than the superstructure carried on the American Ranger class carrier. Part of the reason behind the smaller superstructure is no need for a stack to exhaust engine gasses. Unlike the Kuznetsov, the Arkhangelsk class was planned with nuclear power in mind before being laid down. The first vessel of the class was laid down with conventional nuclear reactors but later vessels were constructed with fusion reactors. On the first major refit of the Arkhangelsk, the conventional nuclear reactors were replaced with fusion reactors. The four nuclear reactors had a longer time between being refueled than the fusion turbines. The carrier uses four shafts and the vessels were designed with a top speed of thirty-four knots. The Novik class destroyer was able to keep up with the carriers they were escorting but the Svietlana class cruiser was actually slightly slower. The Arkhangelsk class were laid down using high strength composites and alloys and were far stronger than the older Kuznetsov which was not initially laid down with the new materials. For electronics, the Arkhangelsk carries many of the same systems that the Kuznetsov carries. The new carriers carry four phased array radar panels which are the most visible portion of the "Pod Hunter" radar system. This is backed up with a single panel phased array system which is capable of taking over missile control and flight operation. The Arkhangelsk class carries a more advanced hull sonar than the Kuznetsov although the carriers were not designed for independent anti-submarine warfare.
The original plans for the ship’s weaponry was greatly reduced from what was first proposed. The weaponry carried on the carried ended up being virtually identical to the previous Kuznetsov. The carrier carries twelve cruise missile batteries flush decked under the forward flight deck. These weapons were far heavier than anything carried on American carriers and gives the carrier heavy anti-ship and anti-ground capability. The remaining weaponry is mostly designed for self defense. The ship carries almost two hundred medium range missiles in twenty-four vertical launch systems. The launchers are smaller than the launchers carried on the Kuznetsov but are civilian. For inner defense, the design originally carried eight CADS-N-1 mounts but these were later replaced by eight CAD-N-6 Mounts which used a pulse laser in place of the 30 mm cannons but have a similar capability. The pulse laser has a shorter range but the unlimited payload is considered to compensate for the reduced range. The carrier was designed with two "Killer Dart" interceptor short range torpedo launching systems.
The aircraft capability of the Arkhangelsk class is greatly increased compared to the Kuznetsov. Along with seventy-two aircraft normally carried, the carrier has extensive repair facilities for aircraft. For self defense, the carrier has facilities for troops to be embarked. The normal troops were later augmented with cyborg soldiers although heavy cyborgs are restricted in the areas of the ship they can enter. The heavy cyborgs are equipped with jet packs and are used in a similar role to the way most nations use flying power armors. The carrier was designed with automation to reduce crew compliment although the air crew is larger than on the Kuznetsov due to the larger aircraft compliment. Crew quarters were considered comfortable but the ship did not have the incredibly luxurious officers quarters such as the Kirov and Slava carried. The class were designed as a flagship and flag facilities were upgraded several times during the ship’s career to keep them current.
Model Type: Arkhangelsk class Nuclear Aircraft Carrier:
Vehicle Type: Ocean, Multi Purpose Aircraft Carrier
Crew: Ship’s complement 1,310, Air Crew 840, and Flagship Staff 40 (when acting as a flagship)
Troops: 200 Normal Soldiers (Including Partial Conversions and Light Cyborgs), 50 Heavy Cyborg Soldiers (With Jet Packs)
|24||Yak-244 Firedancer VSTOL Fighter:|
|36||Sukhoi Su-47D Foxfire Multi-Role Fighter|
|8||Yak-228 "Minstrel" ASW / Utility VTOL Aircraft|
|4||YAK-228 "Minstrel" Radar VTOL Aircraft|
M.D.C. by Location:
| Catapults (3):||80 each|
| Arrester Cables (4):||40 each|
| Exterior Elevators (3):||300 each|
|Hanger doors (3):||300 each|
| Flight Deck:||4,000|
|CADS-N-6 Combination Anti-Missile Defense Systems (8):||225 each|
|Octuple Medium Range Vertical Launch System (24):||125 each|
|SS-N-40 Cruise Missile Vertical Launchers (12, forward):||150 each|
|Killer Dart "Interceptor" Torpedo Launchers (2):||80 each|
|Chaff Launchers (8, Superstructure):||10 each|
| "Pod Hunter" Soviet AEGIS system (4, Superstructure):||200 each|
| "Morningstar" Active Phased Array Radar (1, Superstructure):||250|
| Bridge / Command Tower:||2,500|
|Outer Hull (per 40 foot / 12.2 meter area):||65|
| Main Body:||10,500|
 If the catapults are destroyed, non VTOL or STOL aircraft cannot be launched. If Arrester Cables are destroyed, non VTOL or STOL aircraft cannot land until arrester cables are replaced.
 If both elevators are destroyed, no aircraft can be moved from the hangers to the flight deck, meaning that they cannot be launched unless already on the flight deck.
 If the flight decks are destroyed, only VTOL aircraft can be launched or land. VTOL aircraft are at -15% to piloting.
 Destroying "Pod Hunter" AEGIS system will disable primary long range search and fire control systems; "Morningstar" Active Phased Array Radar acts as medium range radar but does not have the ability to track as many targets. In addition, standard robot sensors for the time period, not needing large antennas to be effective, were installed in well-protected points in the hull as secondary systems. As well, "Pod Hunter" panels can partially compensate for each other.
 If Bridge/ Control Tower is destroyed, the ship can still be piloted from engineering but with a -15% to piloting rolls. Communication and sensor equipment are not concentrated on the bridge to reduce the effectiveness of bridge hits.
 Depleting the M.D.C. of the main body destroys the ship’s structural integrity, causing it to sink. There are enough flotation devices and inflatable life rafts to accommodate everyone aboard.
Surface: 39.2 mph (34 knots/ 63.0 kph)
Maximum Effective Range: Unlimited due to fusion engines (needs to refuel every 20 years and requires maintenance as well). Ship carries six months of supplies on board.
Draft: 36.4 feet (11.1 meters)
Width, Waterline: 132.9 feet (40.5 meters)
Width, Flight Deck: 248.8 feet (75.8 meters)
Length: 1,076.8 feet (328.2 meters)
Displacement: 64,500 tons standard and 89,800 tons full load
Cargo: Can carry 5,000 tons of extraneous cargo. Each enlisted crew member has a small locker for personal items and uniforms. Ships officers have far more space for personal items. Most of the ship’s spaces are taken up by extra ammo, armor, troops, weapons, and engines.
Power System: 4 Nuclear Fusion Reactors, average life span is 20 years
Market Cost: Not for Sale but costs around 1.8 billion credits to construct. If found and sold on the black market would probably cost 4 to 8 billion credits.
- Kashstan CADS-N-6 CIWS Systems (8): Combination Anti-Missile Defense Systems which combines both a rapid fire laser and a short range missile launchers. While mounted in one system, both defense systems have separate tracking systems. Short range missiles are designed to be able to track and target multiple missiles simultaneously. Laser system fires four shot bursts and is capable of destroying missiles and inflicting serious damage on aircraft. Laser is similar to the S-500 Cyclone Pulse Laser Rifle with extended range. System can be targeted against surface targets and ground targets.
- SS-N-40 Cruise Missile Vertical Launchers (24): The launchers are located flush with the forward part of the carrier's flight deck. The cruise missiles can be fired be fired at either ground or surface targets but cannot be targeted on air targets. The launchers can launch at multiple targets simultaneously.
- Medium Range Octuple Vertical Launch System (24): These launchers are modified versions of previous medium range vertical launch missile systems. Normal role for the missiles is to act as medium defense of the vessel. They can launch on either ground, surface, or air targets. The launchers can launch at multiple targets simultaneously.
- Killer Dart "Interceptor" Short Range Torpedo Launchers (2): These so called "Killer Darts" are a Russian interceptor torpedo, designed primarily for intercepting and hitting incoming torpedoes, with a secondary function against small submersibles and submersible power armors. They mount in a similar position to the ASW Rail launchers carries on late Twentieth Century Soviet vessels. American and European designed prefer to fire interceptor torpedoes from their standard torpedo tubes. Launcher is primarily designed to intercept incoming torpedoes but can be used against other vessels, against large submarines, and against underwater troops. Other torpedoes can be used but are very rarely used.
- Chaff Launcher (8): Located on the superstructure of the ship, they are designed to confuse incoming missiles. All eight launchers must be operated or effects will be reduced. Reduce effects of launchers by 50% per launcher not used. Rifts Earth decoy systems are assumed to not operate on Phase World missiles due to technological difference. Reduce effects by 20% against smart missiles (Add +20% to rolls for smart missiles.)
Maximum Effective Range: Laser Cannons: 4,000 feet (1,220 meters). Short Range Missiles: As per short range missile type (See revised bomb and missile tables for details.)
Mega-Damage: Laser Cannons: 1D6x10 MD for four shot burst. Short Range Missiles: As per short range missile type (Usually fragmentation) (See revised bomb and missile tables for details.)
Rate of Fire: Laser Cannons: 6 attacks per melee. (+2 to strike aircraft; +3 to strike missiles.) Short Range Missiles: One at a time or in volleys of 2, 3, or 4 per launcher. Can fire up to six times per melee in place of gun fire.
Payload: Laser Cannons: Effectively unlimited. Short Range Missiles: 32 short range missiles per mount.
Maximum Effective Range: Varies with cruise missile type (See revised bomb and missile tables for details.)
Mega Damage: Varies with cruise missile type (See revised bomb and missile tables for details.)
Rate of Fire: Can fire missiles one at a time or volleys of two (2), four (4), or six (6) missiles per melee.
Payload: 12 Cruise Missiles.
Maximum Effective Range: Varies with medium range missile type (See revised bomb and missile tables for details.)
Mega-Damage: Varies with medium range missile type (See revised bomb and missile tables for details.)
Rate of Fire: Can fire missiles one at a time or in volleys of any amount up to thirty-two (32) missiles total in any combination and at multiple targets at the same time.
Payload: 196 medium range missiles total (8 missiles per launcher)
Maximum Effective Range: 2000 feet (609.6 meters) using interceptor torpedoes, other torpedoes use standard rules (See revised Rifts torpedoes for details.)
Mega-Damage: By Short Range Torpedo Type (See revised Rifts torpedoes for details.)
Rate of Fire: Each launcher can fire salvos of up to eight (8) short range interceptor torpedoes per melee.
Payload: 64 Interceptor Torpedoes each launcher for 128 Interceptor Torpedoes.
Maximum Effective Range: Around Ship
Mega Damage: None
- 01-35 - Enemy missile or missile volley detonates in chaff cloud - Missiles are all destroyed.
36-60 - Enemy missile or missile volley loses track of real target and veers away in wrong direction (May lock onto another target.)
61-00 - No effect, enemy missile or missile volley is still on target.
The ship has all systems standard on a robot vehicle plus the following special features:
- "Pod Hunter" Soviet AEGIS: Can identify and simultaneously track up to can simultaneously track and identify up to 400 targets at one time. The system controls missile launched from the missile launchers and the system track and guide each individual missile to an individual target for up to 100 targets. Range: 312 miles (498.5 km). The system can also control missiles launched from other linked vessels as well and can also act as fire control for gun mounts. Not as advanced as the most advanced American pre-rifts Aegis systems but still very effective.
- "Morningstar" Active Phased Array Radar System: Unlike systems carried by most larger naval vessels, radar system is comprised of a single array on top of the main mast. This system is smaller, lighter, and requires less power than a system of fixed panels. If allowed by the horizon, the system can track out to 150 miles (241.4 km) and can simultaneously track and identify up to 240 targets at one time. The system controls missile launched from the long range missile launchers and the system can track and guide each individual missile to an individual target for up to 80 targets. If a target is eliminated, missiles are automatically guided to a new target. The system can also control missiles launched from other linked vessels as well and can also act as fire control for gun mounts.
- Advanced Hull Sonar: Mounted under the bow of the ship. Range of 25 miles (21.7 nautical miles / 40.2 km). This hull sonar system has both a passive and active system built in. Sonar system can track up to 24 targets at one time.
- Command and Control Facilities: The carrier carries extra communications equipment and command facilities, to enable the ship to operate as the flagship for a flotilla. When operating in a flotilla, all ships get a +1 on sensor rolls, +1 to strike on all weapons, and +10% on communications.
- Combination Radar Detectors and Active Jamming System: Combination of radar detection system (ESM) and an active jamming system. The system can detect another radar system at 125% of the range of the transmitting radar. In jamming mode, causes -25% to detection but when it is active, other vehicles/ bases can detect that it is jamming, and some missiles will home in on jamming signals. Jamming also causes a -4 penalty to all radar guided weapons.
[ Altarian TM, Bandito Arms TM, Brodkil TM, Chipwell Armaments TM, Coalition States TM, Cyber-Knight TM, Federation of Magic TM, Free Quebec TM, Golden Age Weaponsmiths TM, Iron Heart Armaments TM, Kankoran TM, Kittani TM, Larsen's Brigade TM, M.D.C. TM, Mechanoids TM, Mega-Damage TM, Megaversal Legion TM, Millennium Tree TM, Mutants in Orbit TM, Naruni Enterprises TM, New Navy TM, New Sovietskiy TM, NGR TM, Nog Heng TM, Northern Gun TM, Phase World TM, Psyscape TM, Rifter TM, SAMAS TM, S.D.C. TM, Shemarrian TM, Splugorth TM, Stormspire TM, Sunaj TM, Tolkeen TM, Triax TM, Wellington Industries TM, Wilk's Laser Technologies TM, Xiticix TM, and Zaayr TM are trademarks owned by Kevin Siembieda and Palladium Books Inc. ]
[ Beyond the Supernatural®, Heroes Unlimited®, Nightbane®, Ninjas & Superspies®, Palladium Fantasy®, and Rifts® are registered trademarks owned by Kevin Siembieda and Palladium Books Inc. ]
Initial Concepts by Marina O'Leary (LusankyaN@aol.com ).
Writeup by Kitsune (E-Mail Kitsune).
Copyright © 2002, Kitsune. All rights reserved.