New Sovietskiy Borodino class Amphibious Multi-Role Command Ship:
The Soviet Union has always done things their own way. Some of these designs created a rethinking of the way that military designs are built and others are simple oddities. The idea behind the Borodino class was to combine the features of a gunfire support vessel, amphibious carrier, amphibious command ship, and amphibious transport. Different experts will report how successful the vessel design is but generally Soviet leaders state that the design is the most advanced Amphibious vessel in existence while Western military experts consider the design to be overlarge and very expensive for its capabilities. Most Western military analysts also state that it would be better off for the roles to be performed by several vessels.
When the Soviet Navy began expanding after they reformed in 2027, the first priority was the construction of conventional naval units including destroyers, cruisers, submarines, and carriers. Amphibious vessels were a low priority and Soviet amphibious doctrine was to use civilian "Roll On / Roll Off" vessels for amphibious landings. After the conventional Soviet Naval forces had been rebuilt to a large extent. Plans were drawn up for amphibious vessels including an amphibious command ship. As happened with several Soviet designs before the fall of the original Communist government in the late Twentieth Century, the design expanded with features being added to the design until the vessel was far larger and complex than originally planned.
The first vessel of the class was laid down in 2045 and was not completed until 2051. This ship was followed by three more vessels of the same class over the next two decades. They formed the core of Soviet amphibious groups but as time went on they were asked to take on more and more roles. They often acted as carriers when one of the Arkhangelsk class was not available. In addition, the vessels also performed command roles for anti-submarine warfare. Finally, they carried specialized craft and performed minefield clearing operations. All four Borodino class vessels were still in commission up to the coming of the Rifts but the construction of no more were planned. Two of the class were known to be underway and the other two were in hardened bunkers when the Rifts destroyed most of the world. No one has reached the bunkers where the vessels were docked in and the status on none of the vessels is known.
The Borodino class has a very unusual in appearance with a single angled flight deck similar to the old Kiev class aircraft carrying cruiser. Only Vertical Take Off and Landing Aircraft were carried and originally Yak-141 Freestyle VSTOL Fighter and helicopters were carried. These were replaced later in service and the Yak-141 Freestyle VSTOL Fighter was replaced by the Yak-244 Firedancer VSTOL Fighter a few years before the coming of the Rifts. The forward deck contains the heavy weaponry of the vessel including missile launchers. The superstructure is large and contains full command facilities and an advanced array of sensors. In the rear of the vessel is a set of vehicle doors and the vessel contains a large well deck.
The vessel is constructed from high strength composites and can withstand incredible damage as well as being largely immune to the effects of the environment. The first vessel, the Borodino, of the class used four gas turbines connected to twin shafts for propulsion. These gas turbines appear to have been copies of late model General Electric LM-2500 Gas Turbines and the American gas turbine engine designs are believed to have been instead of Soviet engines due to being more efficient. The top speed of the vessel was 28 knots. The later vessels of the class replaced the gas turbines with fusion turbines for virtually unlimited range and an increase of speed to over thirty knots. The gas turbine engines of the first ship were replaced by fusion turbines as well when it was refitted to bring it up to the standards of later vessels of the class. In addition to the sensor systems mounted in the superstructure is a hull sonar and towed array sonar. The towed array sonar is in a special mount above the well deck doors and extends outwards so the sonar array is clear of the doors.
The amount of weaponry carried on this class is incredible compared to amphibious carriers built by other nations. The ship has 48 cruise missiles launchers. While the cruise missiles can be used against ships, there main role is for shore strikes. In addition to cruise missiles, the ship carries launchers for both long range and medium range missiles. There are sixteen octuple long range missile launchers and sixteen octuple medium range missile launchers. In addition, the ship has eight combination anti-missile defense systems. Originally, the CADS-N-1 mount was carried with a 30-mm Gatling cannon combined with missile launchers. These point defense mounts were replaced with the CADS-N-6 with a pulse laser replacing the Gatling cannon. The ship has two twin barrel 152-mm cannon with one mounted forward of the superstructure and the other aft of the superstructure. The cannons are twin barrel models of the cannons carried on the Novik class destroyer and Svietlana class cruiser. The main role for the mounts is shore bombardment although most captains do not like to perform this role due to having to get close to the coastline. Over the horizon attacks are much safer and the ship is well equipped for this role. The ship is even armed for submarine warfare with two five tube heavy torpedo tubes and two "killer dart" torpedo interceptor systems.
The crew of the vessel is large due to the large number of systems on the vessel and the number of roles it was expected to perform. Even so, the ship mounts heavy automation to reduce the crew to be able to be operated with as small as crew as it is. The ship is designed with full flag facilities and the ship is often expected to perform in this role. The ship carries a large number of marines although less than the American Tripoli class Assault Ship. In addition, a large number of vehicles can be carried and is designed to carry two landing craft. If landing craft are not carried, the number of armored vehicles is approximately doubled. In addition to armored vehicles, Cyborgs are carried. Two berthing areas were refitted to heavy Cyborg soldiers but the majority of Cyborgs carried are of the light Cyborg type.
Model Type: Borodino class Amphibious Multi-Role Command Ship
Vehicle Type: Ocean, Amphibious Multi-Role Command Ship
Crew: 1228; 128 officers, 1100 petty officers and enlisted crew members.(Has a high degree of automation and can be run effectively by 450 crew members) The ship also can carry a Flagship Staff of 40 personnel when acting as a flagship.
Troops: 120 Aircraft Pilots, 250 vehicle crew members, 1,000 Normal Troops (Including Partial Conversions) / Light Cyborg Soldiers, and 300 Heavy Cyborg Soldiers (With Jet Packs)
Robots, Power Armors, and Vehicles:
|12||Yak-244 Firedancer VSTOL Fighter:|
|8||Mi-221 Firefly Attack VTOL Aircraft|
|6||Yak-228 "Minstrel" ASW / Utility VTOL Aircraft|
|2||Yak-228 "Minstrel" Radar VTOL Aircraft|
|2||Air Cushion Landing Craft|
|30||PT-262 Light Amphibious Tanks (Can be replaced by 15 Main Battle Tanks)|
|50||BMD-9 Amphibious Combat Vehicle (Can be replaced by 25 Standard Troop Transports)|
M.D.C. by location:
| Elevators (2):||300 each|
|Hanger Doors (1):||300 each|
| Angled Flight Deck:||2,000|
|Rear Vehicle Doors:||600|
|152 mm Cannon Barrels (4):||100 each|
|152 mm Cannon Mounts (2, Forward & Aft of Superstructure):||250 each|
|CADS-N-6 Combination Anti-Missile Defense Systems (8):||225 each|
|SS-N-40 Cruise Missile Vertical Launchers (48, forward):||150 each|
|Octuple Long Range Vertical Launch Systems (16):||150 each|
|Octuple Medium Range Vertical Launch System (16):||125 each|
|Quintuple mount type torpedo launchers (2, Sides):||100 each|
|Killer Dart "Interceptor" Torpedo Launchers (2):||80 each|
|Chaff Launchers (8, Superstructure):||10 each|
| "Pod Hunter" Soviet AEGIS system (4, Superstructure):||200 each|
| "Morningstar" Active Phased Array Radar (1, Superstructure):||250|
| Bridge / Command Tower:||2,500|
|Outer Hull (per 40 foot / 12.2 meter area):||65|
| Main Body:||8,500|
 If Both are destroyed, no aircraft can be moved from the hangers to the main flight deck.
 If the flight deck is destroyed, VTOL aircraft can be launched or land at -15% to piloting.
 Destroying "Pod Hunter" AEGIS system will disable primary long range search and fire control systems; "Morningstar" Active Phased Array Radar acts as medium range radar but does not have the ability to track as many targets. In addition, standard robot sensors for the time period, not needing large antennas to be effective, were installed in well-protected points in the hull as secondary systems. As well, "Pod Hunter" panels can partially compensate for each other.
 If Bridge/ Control Tower is destroyed, the ship can still be piloted from engineering but with a -15% to piloting rolls. Communication and sensor equipment are not concentrated on the bridge to reduce the effectiveness of bridge hits.
 Destroying the main body causes the ship to lose structural integrity, causing the ship to sink. There are enough life preservers and inflatable life boats to accommodate everyone on the ship.
Surface: 35.1 mph (30.5 knots/ 56.5 kph)
Maximum Effective Range: Unlimited due to fusion engines (needs to refuel every 10 years and requires maintenance as well). Ship carries two months of supplies on board.
Length: 871.1 feet (265.5 meters) waterline and 922.9 feet (281.3 meters) overall
Draft: 41.3 feet (12.6 meters) including sonar dome
Width: 107.6 feet (32.8 meters) waterline and 179.1 feet (54.6 meters) overall
Displacement: 43,100 tons standard and 54,300 tons fully loaded
Cargo: 5,000 tons of nonessential equipment and supplies. Each enlisted crew member has a small locker for personal items and uniforms. Ships officers have more space for personal items. Most of the ship’s spaces are taken up by extra ammo, armor, troops, weapons, and engines.
Power System: 4 Nuclear Fusion Reactors, average life span is 10 years
Market Cost: Not for Sale but costs around 1.5 billion credits to construct. If found and sold on the black market would probably cost 3 to 6 billion credits.
- Two (2) Double Barrel 152 mm Naval Gun: The ship carried two double barrel turrets with one mounted in the front of the vessel's superstructure and the other is mounted on the aft section of the vessel's superstructure. The weapon is based on standard artillery systems and was carried on a most soviet combatant vessels. Weapon is single barrel but is preferred by most crews over the dual 130 mm cannon carried on many previous classes because while it has a slower rate of fire, it has a longer range using rocket propelled rounds and has the ability to inflict larger damage per round. Can use both standard rounds and rocket propelled rounds. Weapon does not have the extremely long range projectiles available to the American 155 mm cannon. The turret can rotate 360 and has a 90 arc of fire. The weapon mount is heavily automated and is capable against other ships, against ground targets, and against aircraft. Plasma rounds are a late pre-Rifts innovation and are rare and expensive.
- Kashstan CADS-N-6 CIWS Systems (8): Combination Anti-Missile Defense Systems which combines both a rapid fire laser and a short range missile launchers. While mounted in one system, both defense systems have separate tracking systems. Short range missiles are designed to be able to track and target multiple missiles simultaneously. Laser system fires four shot bursts and is capable of destroying missiles and inflicting serious damage on aircraft. Laser is similar to the S-500 Cyclone Pulse Laser Rifle with extended range. System can be targeted against surface targets and ground targets.
- SS-N-40 Cruise Missile Vertical Launchers (48): The launchers are located in a slightly raised platform on the from part of the Amphibious Multi-Role Command Ship.The cruise missiles can be fired be fired at either ground or surface targets but cannot be targeted on air targets. The launchers can launch at multiple targets simultaneously.
- Long Range Octuple Vertical Launch System (16): These launchers are mounted on the bow of the vessel with eight on either side of the cruise missile launchers. These launchers are modified versions of previous long range vertical launch missile systems. Missiles are designed for long range defense and against surface targets. They can launch on either ground, surface, or air targets. The launchers can launch at multiple targets simultaneously.
- Medium Range Octuple Vertical Launch System (16): These launchers are mounted with eight missile launchers on each side of the bow of the vessel outside the long range missile launchers. These launchers are modified versions of previous medium range vertical launch missile systems. Normal role for the missiles is to act as medium defense of the vessel. They can launch on either ground, surface, or air targets. The launchers can launch at multiple targets simultaneously.
- Two (2) Quintuple Torpedo Launchers: Mainly design for anti-submarine warfare but can be used against surface targets. There is one launcher on each side of the ship with five tubes each. The tubes have been modified to use an automatic reloading system and can be fired quickly. These are modern, variable option torpedoes that are about 25% faster than the latest US designs of the time period. These torpedoes are also slightly larger than the standard US torpedo launchers. (These torpedoes are considered the equivalent of smart missiles and have advanced tracking and avoidance systems that give them a +5 to strike, +3 to dodge, and 2 attacks per melee until they strike their target or run out of fuel.)
- Killer Dart "Interceptor" Short Range Torpedo Launchers (2): These so called "Killer Darts" are a Russian interceptor torpedo, designed primarily for intercepting and hitting incoming torpedoes, with a secondary function against small submersibles and submersible power armors. They mount in a similar position to the ASW Rail launchers carries on late Twentieth Century Soviet vessels. American and European designed prefer to fire interceptor torpedoes from their standard torpedo tubes. Launcher is primarily designed to intercept incoming torpedoes but can be used against other vessels, against large submarines, and against underwater troops. Other torpedoes can be used but are very rarely used.
- Chaff Launcher (8): Located on the superstructure of the ship, they are designed to confuse incoming missiles. All eight launchers must be operated or effects will be reduced. Reduce effects of launchers by 50% per launcher not used. Rifts Earth decoy systems are assumed to not operate on Phase World missiles due to technological difference. Reduce effects by 20% against smart missiles (Add +20% to rolls for smart missiles.)
Maximum Effective Range: 15.3 miles (13.2 nautical miles / 24.7 km) for standard projectiles, 24.9 miles (21.6 nautical miles / 40.0 km) for rocket propelled rounds.
Mega-Damage: Standard Projectiles: 2D6x10 to a blast radius of 25 ft (7.7 m) for High Explosive, 3D6x10 to a blast radius of 6 ft (2 m) for High Explosive Armor Piercing, and 4D6x10 to a blast radius of 25 ft (7.7 m) for Plasma. Rocket projectiles: 2D4x10 to a blast radius of 20 ft (6.1 m) for High Explosive, 2D6x10 to a blast radius of 4 ft (1.2 m) for High Explosive Armor Piercing, and 3D6x10 to a blast radius of 20 ft (6.1 m) for Plasma. Use the statistics for 155 mm artillery warheads (Go to Battlefield Artillery for Rifts for more information - standard or rocket assisted as appropriate) when using artillery rounds.
Rate of Fire: Normal Projectiles: Up to eight single shots per turret per melee.
Payload: 600 rounds each turret for a total of 1,200 rounds.
Maximum Effective Range: Laser Cannons: 4,000 feet (1,220 meters). Short Range Missiles: As per short range missile type (See revised bomb and missile tables for details.)
Mega Damage: Laser Cannons: 1D6x10 MD for four shot burst. Short Range Missiles: As per short range missile type (Usually fragmentation) (See revised bomb and missile tables for details.)
Rate of Fire: Laser Cannons: 6 attacks per melee. (+2 to strike aircraft; +3 to strike missiles.) Short Range Missiles: One at a time or in volleys of 2, 3, or 4 per launcher. Can fire up to six times per melee in place of gun fire.
Payload: Laser Cannons: Effectively unlimited. Short Range Missiles: 32 short range missiles per mount.
Maximum Effective Range: Varies with cruise missile type (See revised bomb and missile tables for details.)
Mega Damage: Varies with cruise missile type (See revised bomb and missile tables for details.)
Rate of Fire: Can fires missiles one at a time or volleys of two (2), four (4), six (6), twelve (12), or twenty-four (24) missiles per melee.
Payload: 48 Cruise Missiles
Maximum Effective Range: Varies with long range missile type (See revised bomb and missile tables for details.)
Mega-Damage: Varies with long range missile type (See revised bomb and missile tables for details.)
Rate of Fire: Can fire missiles one at a time or in volleys of any amount up to thirty-two (32) missiles total in any combination and at multiple targets at the same time.
Payload: 128 long range missiles total (8 missiles per launcher)
Maximum Effective Range: Varies with medium range missile type (See revised bomb and missile tables for details.)
Mega-Damage: Varies with medium range missile type (See revised bomb and missile tables for details.)
Rate of Fire: Can fire missiles one at a time or in volleys of any amount up to thirty-two (32) missiles total in any combination and at multiple targets at the same time.
Payload: 128 medium range missiles total (8 missiles per launcher)
Maximum Effective Range: 40 miles (64 km), Rocket boosted torpedoes can also be fired from launcher (See revised Rifts torpedoes for details.)
Mega Damage: By Heavy torpedo warhead type (See revised Rifts torpedoes for details), Rocket boosted torpedoes can also be fired from launcher.
Rate of Fire: Can fire torpedoes one at a time or in volleys of two (2), three (3), or five (5) torpedoes per side. Reloading tubes takes 1 full melee.
Payload: 5 torpedoes/ missiles each launcher for a grand total of 10 torpedoes/missiles (Has 20 torpedoes/missiles for reloads)
Maximum Effective Range: 2000 feet (609.6 meters) using interceptor torpedoes, other torpedoes use standard rules (See revised Rifts torpedoes for details.)
Mega-Damage: By Short Range Torpedo Type (See revised Rifts torpedoes for details.)
Rate of Fire: Each launcher can fire salvos of up to eight (8) short range interceptor torpedoes per melee.
Payload: 64 Interceptor Torpedoes each launcher for 128 Interceptor Torpedoes.
Maximum Effective Range: Around Ship
Mega Damage: None
- 01-35 - Enemy missile or missile volley detonates in chaff cloud - Missiles are all destroyed.
36-60 - Enemy missile or missile volley loses track of real target and veers away in wrong direction (May lock onto another target.)
61-00 - No effect, enemy missile or missile volley is still on target.
The ship has all systems standard on a robot vehicle plus the following special features:
- "Pod Hunter" Soviet AEGIS: Can identify and simultaneously track up to can simultaneously track and identify up to 400 targets at one time. The system controls missile launched from the missile launchers and the system track and guide each individual missile to an individual target for up to 100 targets. Range: 312 miles (498.5 km). The system can also control missiles launched from other linked vessels as well and can also act as fire control for gun mounts. Not as advanced as the most advanced American pre-rifts Aegis systems but still very effective.
- "Morningstar" Active Phased Array Radar System: Unlike systems carried by most larger naval vessels, radar system is comprised of a single array on top of the main mast. This system is smaller, lighter, and requires less power than a system of fixed panels. If allowed by the horizon, the system can track out to 150 miles (241.4 km) and can simultaneously track and identify up to 240 targets at one time. The system controls missile launched from the long range missile launchers and the system can track and guide each individual missile to an individual target for up to 80 targets. If a target is eliminated, missiles are automatically guided to a new target. The system can also control missiles launched from other linked vessels as well and can also act as fire control for gun mounts.
- Advanced Hull Sonar: Mounted under the bow of the ship. Range of 25 miles (21.7 nautical miles / 40.2 km). This hull sonar system has both a passive and active system built in. Sonar system can track up to 24 targets at one time.
- Command and Control Facilities: The carrier carries extra communications equipment and command facilities, to enable the ship to operate as the flagship for a flotilla. When operating in a flotilla, all ships get a +1 on sensor rolls, +1 to strike on all weapons, and +10% on communications.
- Combination Radar Detectors and Active Jamming System: Combination of radar detection system (ESM) and an active jamming system. The system can detect another radar system at 125% of the range of the transmitting radar. In jamming mode, causes -25% to detection but when it is active, other vehicles/ bases can detect that it is jamming, and some missiles will home in on jamming signals. Jamming also causes a -4 penalty to all radar guided weapons.
[ Altarian TM, Bandito Arms TM, Brodkil TM, Chipwell Armaments TM, Coalition States TM, Cyber-Knight TM, Federation of Magic TM, Free Quebec TM, Golden Age Weaponsmiths TM, Iron Heart Armaments TM, Kankoran TM, Kittani TM, Larsen's Brigade TM, M.D.C. TM, Mechanoids TM, Mega-Damage TM, Megaversal Legion TM, Millennium Tree TM, Mutants in Orbit TM, Naruni Enterprises TM, New Navy TM, New Sovietskiy TM, NGR TM, Nog Heng TM, Northern Gun TM, Phase World TM, Psyscape TM, Rifter TM, SAMAS TM, S.D.C. TM, Shemarrian TM, Splugorth TM, Stormspire TM, Sunaj TM, Tolkeen TM, Triax TM, Wellington Industries TM, Wilk's Laser Technologies TM, Xiticix TM, and Zaayr TM are trademarks owned by Kevin Siembieda and Palladium Books Inc. ]
[ Beyond the Supernatural®, Heroes Unlimited®, Nightbane®, Ninjas & Superspies®, Palladium Fantasy®, and Rifts® are registered trademarks owned by Kevin Siembieda and Palladium Books Inc. ]
Vessel Drawing is drawn and copyrighted by Kitsune (E-Mail Kitsune).
Initial Concepts by Marina O'Leary (LusankyaN@aol.com ).
Writeup by Kitsune (E-Mail Kitsune).
Copyright © 2002 & 2003, Kitsune. All rights reserved.