New Sovietskiy Drakon class Fast Attack Submarine:
Over the decades of inept "democratic" rule which Russia suffered through from the last decade of the Twentieth Century to virtually the third decade of the Twenty-First Century, the Russian Submarine forces was allowed to rot until it was a shadow of its former self. Well, that is how the New Soviet Communist government reported it when they took over the government in 2027. The reality is a bit different and many of the old Soviet power brokers are to blame for the sad shape of Russia during the so-called "democratic" rule. Immediately, the new rulers planned for a large military expansion program including the construction of new submarines. In general, the old Russian submarines were operational but a few remained in service until new vessels could replace them. Many of the old submarines had been operated long beyond their planned service careers and even the submarines which had maintained were ready to be scrapped. Within just a few years of the Communists taking over rule again in Russia, the revolution in super strong materials took place and virtually all military designs became obsolete. The Soviet Union developed new designs for fast attack, cruise missile, and ballistic missile submarine using the advanced materials and weapons being developed at the time. Instead of building many different designs that fulfill the same general role, the designers were able to combine their talents and develop a single design. The first of the Drakon class fast attack submarines was laid down in 2034, the same year as the first Novik class destroyer, and about forty of these submarines were built at the rate of about one submarine per year. At the time of the classes commissioning, they were among the most advanced submarines in the world. Their missions varied, they were used as battle group escorts, independent hunter killer submarines, and even as cruise missile platforms against shore targets although cruise missile submarines were more commonly employed in this role. These boats where still used in front line service when the Rifts overtook the Soviet Union along with the rest of the world. Several of the submarines are known to have survived the coming of the Rifts and found their way to a secret Soviet base under Antarctica. The crew of another submarine, after being unable to contact their nation or any other Soviet vessel, decided to surrender / defected to the United States Submarine forces centered around the U.S.S. Ticonderoga. The Soviet forces in Antarctica and the New Navy forces have encountered each other but the Soviet fleet has rebuffed all attempts at contact.
The vessels were constructed out of advanced composites and could dive deeper than any previous Soviet submarine class and Soviet submarine classes were already known for their deep diving abilities. Diving depth of the new Soviet fast submarine was 1800 meters. The hull of the submarine is teardrop shaped like the previous Akula class. Compared to the American Tigershark class, the Drakon class is quite a bit larger although it is only slightly larger than the old Akula class. The first eight vessels of the Drakon class used a standard nuclear reactor but later vessels in the class used two fusion reactors. The older members of the class were later refitted with fusion reactors to bring them up to later vessel standards. The power plant was incredibly powerful for its size and could drive the submarine faster than any previous classes since the Alfa class yet was very quiet. It was faster than the American Tigershark which was built around the same time with a top speed of around 40 knots. The submarine was designed for silent operations at speeds up to 10 knots. The vessel was covered by special sonar absorbent rubber materials like most submarines to further reduce the noise the submarine made and used a pump jet instead of a standard propeller. The sonar systems are far more effective than the systems in previous Soviet submarines and were updated several times during the submarines classes' service.
Weaponry is very unusual by American and British standards. One of the reason for this is because the submarine incorporated a short range anti-torpedo interceptor system on either side of the hull. The Americans preferred to fire multi-warhead torpedoes from standard tubes on both their submarines and surface vessels. The launchers are outside the pressure hull and can only be reloaded when the submarine is in port. The Drakon class is armed with eight forward torpedo tubes. The torpedo tubes are larger than those in American submarines and can fire larger torpedoes as well. The Drakon class are armed with sixteen vertical style cruise missile launchers which are mounted behind the submarine's sail. The vessel has a short range missile system on the sail for use against aircraft.
Crew was far smaller than American submarine classes of the same period and is only fifty crew members due to impressive automation and the submarine is not expected to operate for as long a period of time as American Submarines. As well, the Drakon class has no provision for troops while the American Tigershark has provision for twenty-four marines. Crew compartments are more comfortable on American submarines and includes many luxuries. The entire crew of the Drakon class are officers like the old Soviet Alfa submarine because the Soviet enlisted crew simply do not have the skills needed.
Model Type: Drakon class Fast Attack Submarine
Class: Ocean, Fast Attack Submarine
Crew: 50; All Officers (Has a high degree of automation)
Troop Capacity: None
M.D.C. by Location:
|Super Heavy Torpedo Tubes (8 - front of submarine):||150 each|
|Vertical Cruise Missile Launchers (16, Behind Sail):||125 each|
|Short Range Missile Launcher (1, Sail):||100|
|Killer Dart "Interceptor" Torpedo Launcher (2, Sides):||80 each|
| Bow Planes (2):||250 each|
| Pump Jet Propulsor (1):||400|
| Main Body:||3,200|
 Destroying the submarines bow planes will reduce the submarine's ability to change depths but will not eliminate it. It also makes it difficult for the submarine's crew to control the submarine giving a penalty of -25% to all piloting rolls.
 Destroying the submarine's Pump Jet Propulsor causes serious problem. The submarine will no longer be able to use forward momentum and the bow planes to keep the submarine level. It is recommended that ballast takes are immediately blown so submarine comes to surface.
 Depleting the M.D.C. of the main body destroys the submarine's structural integrity, causing it to sink. If the submarine is underwater, the entire crew will die unless protected by environmental armors that can withstand the pressure that the submarine is under. If on the surface, there are enough flotation devices and inflatable life rafts to accommodate everyone aboard.
Surface: 23.0 mph (20 knots/ 37.1 kph)
Underwater: 46.6 mph (40.5 knots /75.1 mph)
Maximum Depth: 5905.5 feet (1,800 meters)
Maximum Effective Range: Effectively Unlimited due to fusion engines (needs to refuel every 20 years and requires maintenance as well). Ship carries 4 months of supplies on board.
Height: 54.5 feet (16.6 meters) not including periscopes and antenna
Width: 41.0 feet (12.5 meters)
Length: 375.7 feet (114.5 meters)
Displacement: 7,900 tons standard and 13,200 tons submerged
Cargo: Submarine is very cramped, 16 tons of nonessential equipment and supplies. Each enlisted crew member has a small locker for personal items and uniforms. Ships officers have more space for personal items. Most of the ship’s spaces are taken up by extra torpedoes, weapons, and engines.
Power System: Nuclear; average energy life of 20 years. Normally refuels every 10 years
Black Market Price: Not for sale; many nations and organizations would pay hundreds of millions of credits for a new and undamaged Drakon class Submarine.
- Eight (8) Super Heavy Torpedo Tubes: On the bow of the submarine are eight torpedo tubes. Tubes are 25.6 inches (650 mm) wide and torpedoes can be used against both surface ships and submarines. Along with standard torpedoes, launcher can also fire missiles (Long or Cruise) in special canisters, rocket boosted ASW torpedoes, and mines. These are modern, variable option torpedoes that are about 25% faster than the latest US designs of the time period. Submarine carries 48 reloads for torpedoes. Soviet submarines normally carry a number of interceptor torpedoes which the standard Soviet tactic is to fire an interceptor torpedo down the path of a torpedo fired at the submarine.
- Sixteen (16) Vertical Launch Cruise Missile Launchers: In the rear of the submarine behind the main sail, the submarine has a Vertical Launch Missile System for launching missiles. Missiles are launched in special canisters that enable the missiles to be used in depths down to 300 feet. Most missiles normally carried are fusion (Also smart missiles). Launcher can fire at multiple targets simultaneously and are designed to be used against ships and against land targets.
- Sail Mounted Short Range Missile Launcher (1): The submarine has a retractable short range missile launcher on the sail for defense against aircraft although is effective against missiles as well. Launcher can be used while the submarine is up to 80 feet (24 meters) deep and is useful against aircraft hunting the submarine while the submarine is underwater. Short Range Missiles are usually a mixture of 50% Armor Piercing and 50% Plasma. Launchers can lock onto multiple targets at the same. The systems missile launchers can target up four targets and can fire a volley up to twice per melee.
- Killer Dart "Interceptor" Short Range Torpedo Launchers (2): The launcher is mounted on the sides of the submarine. These so called "Killer Darts" are a Russian interceptor torpedo, designed primarily for intercepting and hitting incoming torpedoes, with a secondary function against small submersibles and submersible power armors. They are mounted outside of the submarines pressure hull in retractable mounts. The launchers can only be reloaded in port. American and European designed prefer to fire interceptor torpedoes from their standard torpedo tubes. Launcher is primarily designed to intercept incoming torpedoes but can be used against other vessels, against large submarines, and against underwater troops. Other torpedoes can be used but are very rarely used.
- Noisemakers: The submarine carries noisemakers to decoy torpedoes. These noisemakers are similar to those used by Coalition submarines. The noisemakers are launched from the middle of the submarine.
Maximum Effective Range: 40 miles (64 km) to 60 miles (96.6 km) depending on type (See revised Rifts torpedoes for details.)
Mega Damage: By Heavy torpedo or Super Heavy warhead type (See revised Rifts torpedoes for details), can fire missiles (Long Range or Cruise) in special canisters as well (See revised bomb and missile tables for details.)
Rate of Fire: Can fire torpedoes one at a time or in volleys of two (2), three (3), four (4), or eight (8) torpedoes. Reloading takes one full melee.
Payload: 8 Total (Has 48 torpedoes and missiles for reloads with 8 Interceptor torpedoes)
Maximum Effective Range: As per cruise missile type (See revised bomb and missile tables for details.)
Mega Damage: As per cruise missile type (See revised bomb and missile tables for details.)
Rate of Fire: Can fire missiles one at a time or in volleys of two (2), four (4), eight (8), or sixteen (16) missiles and can be fired at multiple target at the same time.
Payload: 16 cruise missiles total. Submarine carries no reloads.
Maximum Effective Range: As per short range missile type (See revised bomb and missile tables for details.)
Mega Damage: As per short range missile type (See revised bomb and missile tables for details.)
Rate of Fire: Can fire missiles one at a time or in volleys of two (2) or four (4) missiles and can be fired up to four times per melee.
Payload: 64 missiles.
Maximum Effective Range: 2000 feet (609.6 meters) using interceptor torpedoes, other torpedoes use standard rules (See revised Rifts torpedoes for details.)
Mega-Damage: By Short Range Torpedo Type (See revised Rifts torpedoes for details.)
Rate of Fire: Each launcher can fire salvos of up to eight (8) short range interceptor torpedoes per melee.
Payload: 48 Interceptor Torpedoes each for 96 interceptor torpedoes.
Effect: 50% of decoying normal torpedoes and 20% of decoying smart torpedoes.
Rate of Fire: 2 at a time (Can be reloaded in one melee)
Payload: 20 Noisemakers.
The submarine has all systems standard on a robot vehicle plus the following special features:
- Advanced Hull Sonar System: Range of 50 miles (43.4 nautical miles / 80.5 km). This hull sonar system has both a passive and active system built in. Sonar system can track up to 24 targets at one time and has a +10% to read sensor and weapon system skill rolls. Sonar also has built in communication system and sound pulse system to detect obstacles, objects, vessels and fish (schools and large animals), as well as measure distances and depth.
- Advanced Towed Array Sonar: The system is basically a long and very sensitive sonar system carried behind the submarine on a long cable. Range of 150 miles (130.2 nautical miles / 241.4 km). This towed array sonar system has both a passive and active system built in. Sonar system can track up to 36 targets at one time.
- ESM: This system is mounted in mounted in the superstructure and is extended in a similar manner to a periscope. The antenna is very hard to detect both visually and by radar. Can detect another radar system at 125% of the range of the transmitting radar.
- Quieted propulsion and Anechoic Coating: The ship is designed with a very quiet pump jet propulsor design, the submarine's reactors make very little noise, and the boat is coated by a sonar defeating rubber coating. The submarine is -40% to detect when traveling at less that 10 knots and is at -20% to detect when traveling at greater than that speed.
[ Altarian TM, Bandito Arms TM, Brodkil TM, Chipwell Armaments TM, Coalition States TM, Cyber-Knight TM, Federation of Magic TM, Free Quebec TM, Golden Age Weaponsmiths TM, Iron Heart Armaments TM, Kankoran TM, Kittani TM, Larsen's Brigade TM, M.D.C. TM, Mechanoids TM, Mega-Damage TM, Megaversal Legion TM, Millennium Tree TM, Mutants in Orbit TM, Naruni Enterprises TM, New Navy TM, New Sovietskiy TM, NGR TM, Nog Heng TM, Northern Gun TM, Phase World TM, Psyscape TM, Rifter TM, SAMAS TM, S.D.C. TM, Shemarrian TM, Splugorth TM, Stormspire TM, Sunaj TM, Tolkeen TM, Triax TM, Wellington Industries TM, Wilk's Laser Technologies TM, Xiticix TM, and Zaayr TM are trademarks owned by Kevin Siembieda and Palladium Books Inc. ]
[ Beyond the Supernatural®, Heroes Unlimited®, Nightbane®, Ninjas & Superspies®, Palladium Fantasy®, and Rifts® are registered trademarks owned by Kevin Siembieda and Palladium Books Inc. ]
Vessel Drawing is drawn and copyrighted by Kitsune (E-Mail Kitsune).
Initial Concepts by Marina O'Leary (LusankyaN@aol.com ).
Writeup by Kitsune (E-Mail Kitsune).
Copyright © 2002 & 2003, Kitsune. All rights reserved.