New Sovietskiy Kuznetsov Multi-role Aircraft Carrier:
One of the few vessels which the former Soviet Navy maintained during the decades which the Soviet Government was not Communist. Still, the ship was not as well maintained as most American and European designs and when it was decided to refurbish her and protect her with super strong alloys and composites, the Carrier was in sad shape. The refurbishment became a virtually complete rebuilding and the Kuznetsov sailed from the refitting yard virtually a new ship. The refitting took a full five years and effected virtually the whole ship. Most of the old vessels which were refitted with additional armor were scrapped as new vessels came into service but the Kuznetsov was retained due to all the money that had been spent on her and due to her utility. At first it was considered the flagship of the New Soviet Navy and was used to show the Soviet Flag around the world. The Soviet navy added more carriers to their fleet that were far larger and had higher aircraft capabilities. While the Soviet Navy only built six additional carriers, they were excellent vessels and highly capable. Once the additional carriers started entering service, the Kuznetsov often was sent to hot spots which the Soviets did not want to risk their newer carriers. As well, the oldest carrier often was used to support amphibious operations. It was attacked several times and was damaged more than once. Once, a group of terrorists sent a small boat filled with explosives to attempt to blow a hole in the hull but the boat was destroyed by a missile from the Kuznetsov and the carrier was undamaged. It was planned that in 2100 that the Kuznetsov would become a training carrier and decommissioned to reserve within fifteen to twenty years but the coming of the Rifts interrupted the Soviet plans for the old carrier. The status of the Soviet's first super carrier is unknown but it was out to sea at the time and there is potential that the ship survived.
The basic frame was retained but was reinforced with super strong alloys in many places to strengthen the vessel. The hull and structures were refitted with high strength alloys and composites and are far stronger than they were when the ship was first laid down. The machinery was found to have many problems so was completely replaced. The steam plant was replaced by eight gas turbines driving four shafts with variable pitch propellers. These turbines are of the same design as those carried on the Novik class Destroyer and produced about 40% most power than the original power plant and had around the same fuel efficiency even though they were Gas Turbines. There has been much speculation from American naval engineers that the engines were close copies of the General Electric LM-2500 Gas Turbine. The engines could drive the carrier at two knots greater than the original steam plant. These engines were later replaced with fusion turbines which further increased the speed up to 34.5 knots and gave the ship virtually unlimited endurance. Later carriers were built with four fusion reactors as the main power plant. The original flight deck system was retained on the Kuznetsov with a ramp used for take off although later Soviet carriers used catapults. Virtually all of the electronics were replaced but new system. The original phased array system was replaced by a more advanced system which used a diamond shaped panel. To augment this, a steerable single phased array system was mounted. The mounting of these systems virtually completely changed the configuration of the carrier's island. One of the few systems which was retained was the hull sonar although the electronics in the system have been upgraded. All the new systems and additional armor increased the vessels displacement.
The weapon systems were actually reduced when compared to the original weapon suite when the vessel was commissioned. The vessel originally carried six single 30 mm anti-aircraft mounts in addition to the eight CADS-N-1 Close In Weapon System mounts. The six single 30 mm mounts were removed when the ship was refitted but the CADS-N-1 mounts were retained initially. These were later replaced by eight CAD-N-6 Mounts which used a pulse laser in place of the 30 mm cannons. The Kinzhal VLS systems were retained but the launchers were refitted to fire conventional medium range missiles instead of SA-N-9 Gauntlet missiles which the launcher was originally fitted for. The engineers at first considered removing the cruise missile launchers but the decided instead to replace the twelve Shipwreck missiles with twice as many smaller cruise missiles. Like the original launchers, the cruise missile launchers are flush decked and barely visible. The two anti-torpedo launchers were replaced with 'Killer Dart' interceptor torpedo launchers. The weapon layout of the Kuznetsov was used as a basis for later carriers but the missile launchers were of a more modern design and the number of cruise missiles carried were reduced to about half.
An important feature of the refit was the addition of automation to reduce the crew the ship required. The Gas turbine engines already required a small crew than the steam plant and the new allows reduced general ship maintenance. The total reduction was almost thirty percent for ship’s crew and about ten percent for the air crew. Crew quarters were comfortable but the ship did not have the incredibly luxurious officers quarters such as the Kirov carried. Originally the carrier was designed to be able to carry fifty-two aircraft but that was downgraded to forty-six. The ship carried a small number of troops for shipboard defense which later included a number of cyborg soldiers. Light cyborgs are part of the normal troop compliment but the ship also carries heavy cyborgs with flight packs whoch are used in a similar role to what the United States using flying power armors for. The ship was designed as a flagship and flag facilities were upgraded several times during the ship’s career.
Model Type: Project 1143.5
Class: Nuclear Aircraft Carrier (Tyazholiy Avionosnyy Kreyser (TAKR); heavy aviation cruiser)
Crew: Ship’s complement 1,420, Air Crew 565, and Flagship Staff 40 (when acting as a flagship)
Troops: 160 Normal Soldiers (Including Partial Conversions and Light Cyborgs), 40 Heavy Cyborg Soldiers (With Jet Packs)
|12||Yak-244 Firedancer VSTOL Fighter:|
|24||Sukhoi Su-47D Foxfire Multi-Role Fighter|
|6||Yak-228 "Minstrel" ASW / Utility VTOL Aircraft|
|4||YAK-228 "Minstrel" Radar VTOL Aircraft|
M.D.C. by Location:
| Arrester Cables (4):||40 each|
| Exterior Elevators (2):||300 each|
|Hanger doors (2):||300 each|
| Flight Deck:||3,000|
|CADS-N-6 Combination Anti-Missile Defense Systems (8):||225 each|
|SA-N-9 Gauntlet Octuple Vertical Launch Systems (24):||80 each|
|SS-N-40 Cruise Missile Vertical Launchers (24, forward):||150 each|
|Killer Dart "Interceptor" Torpedo Launchers (2):||80 each|
|Chaff Launchers (8, Superstructure):||10 each|
| "Pod Hunter" Soviet AEGIS system (4, Superstructure):||200 each|
| "Morningstar" Active Phased Array Radar (1, Superstructure):||250|
| Bridge / Command Tower:||2,000|
|Outer Hull (per 40 foot / 12.2 meter area):||65|
| Main Body:||8,500|
 If Arrester Cables are destroyed, Non-VTOL aircraft cannot land on the flight deck.
 If both elevators are destroyed, no aircraft can be moved from the hangers to the flight deck, meaning that they cannot be launched unless already on the flight deck.
 If the flight decks are destroyed, only VTOL aircraft can be launched or land. VTOL aircraft are at -15% to piloting.
 Destroying "Pod Hunter" AEGIS system will disable primary long range search and fire control systems; "Morningstar" Active Phased Array Radar acts as medium range radar but does not have the ability to track as many targets. In addition, standard robot sensors for the time period, not needing large antennas to be effective, were installed in well-protected points in the hull as secondary systems. As well, "Pod Hunter" panels can partially compensate for each other.
 If Bridge/ Control Tower is destroyed, the ship can still be piloted from engineering but with a -15% to piloting rolls. Communication and sensor equipment are not concentrated on the bridge to reduce the effectiveness of bridge hits.
 Depleting the M.D.C. of the main body destroys the ship’s structural integrity, causing it to sink. There are enough flotation devices and inflatable life rafts to accommodate everyone aboard.
Surface: 39.7 mph (34.5 knots/ 63.9 kph)
Maximum Effective Range: Unlimited due to fusion engines (needs to refuel every 10 years and requires maintenance as well). Ship carries six months of supplies on board.
Draft: 34.4 feet (10.5 meters)
Width, Waterline: 116.1 feet (35.4 meters)
Width, Flight Deck: 237.2 feet (72.3 meters)
Length: 1005.6 feet (306.5 meters)
Displacement: 58,200 tons standard and 72,500 tons full load
Cargo: Can carry 4,000 tons of extraneous cargo. Each enlisted crew member has a small locker for personal items and uniforms. Ships officers have far more space for personal items. Most of the ship’s spaces are taken up by extra ammo, armor, troops, weapons, and engines.
Power System: 8 Nuclear Fusion Reactors, average life span is 10 years
Market Cost: Not for Sale but costs around 1.2 billion credits to construct. If found and sold on the black market would probably cost 3 to 6 billion credits.
- Kashstan CADS-N-6 CIWS Systems (8): Combination Anti-Missile Defense Systems which combines both a rapid fire laser and a short range missile launchers. While mounted in one system, both defense systems have separate tracking systems. Short range missiles are designed to be able to track and target multiple missiles simultaneously. Laser system fires four shot bursts and is capable of destroying missiles and inflicting serious damage on aircraft. Laser is similar to the S-500 Cyclone Pulse Laser Rifle with extended range. System can be targeted against surface targets and ground targets.
- SS-N-40 Cruise Missile Vertical Launchers (24): The ship originally carried twelve launchers for P-500/SS-N-19 Granit "Shipwreck"heavy cruise missiles but these launchers were replaced by launchers for smaller cruise missiles. The launchers are located flush with the forward part of the carrier's flight deck. Later carriers carry a smaller number of cruise missile launchers. The cruise missiles can be fired be fired at either ground or surface targets but cannot be targeted on air targets. The launchers can launch at multiple targets simultaneously.
- SA-N-9 Gauntlet Octuple VLS (24): These launchers were originally designed to launch RZ-130 Kinzhal/Klinok/SA-N-9 Gauntlet missiles but have been refitted to launch standard Rifts medium range missiles. They can launch on either ground, surface, or air targets. The launchers can launch at multiple targets simultaneously.
- Killer Dart "Interceptor" Short Range Torpedo Launchers (2): These so called "Killer Darts" are a Russian interceptor torpedo, designed primarily for intercepting and hitting incoming torpedoes, with a secondary function against small submersibles and submersible power armors. They mount in a similar position to the ASW Rail launchers carries on late Twentieth Century Soviet vessels. American and European designed prefer to fire interceptor torpedoes from their standard torpedo tubes. Launcher is primarily designed to intercept incoming torpedoes but can be used against other vessels, against large submarines, and against underwater troops. Other torpedoes can be used but are very rarely used.
- Chaff Launcher (8): Located on the superstructure of the ship, they are designed to confuse incoming missiles. All eight launchers must be operated or effects will be reduced. Reduce effects of launchers by 50% per launcher not used. Rifts Earth decoy systems are assumed to not operate on Phase World missiles due to technological difference. Reduce effects by 20% against smart missiles (Add +20% to rolls for smart missiles.)
Maximum Effective Range: Laser Cannons: 4,000 feet (1,220 meters). Short Range Missiles: As per short range missile type (See revised bomb and missile tables for details.)
Mega Damage: Laser Cannons: 1D6x10 MD for four shot burst. Short Range Missiles: As per short range missile type (Usually fragmentation) (See revised bomb and missile tables for details.)
Rate of Fire: Laser Cannons: 6 attacks per melee. (+2 to strike aircraft; +3 to strike missiles.) Short Range Missiles: One at a time or in volleys of 2, 3, or 4 per launcher. Can fire up to six times per melee in place of gun fire.
Payload: Laser Cannons: Effectively unlimited. Short Range Missiles: 32 short range missiles per mount.
Maximum Effective Range: Varies with cruise missile type (See revised bomb and missile tables for details.)
Mega Damage: Varies with cruise missile type (See revised bomb and missile tables for details.)
Rate of Fire: Can fire missiles one at a time or volleys of two (2), four (4), eight (8), or twelve (12) missiles per melee.
Payload: 24 Cruise Missiles
Maximum Effective Range: Varies with medium range missile type (See revised bomb and missile tables for details.)
Mega-Damage: Varies with medium range missile type (See revised bomb and missile tables for details.)
Rate of Fire: Can fire missiles one at a time or in volleys of any amount up to forty-eight (48) missiles total in any combinations and at multiple targets at the same time.
Payload: 196 medium range missiles total (8 missiles per launcher)
Maximum Effective Range: 2000 feet (609.6 meters) using interceptor torpedoes, other torpedoes use standard rules (See revised Rifts torpedoes for details.)
Mega-Damage: By Short Range Torpedo Type (See revised Rifts torpedoes for details.)
Rate of Fire: Each launcher can fire salvos of up to eight (8) short range interceptor torpedoes per melee.
Payload: 64 Interceptor Torpedoes each launcher for 128 Interceptor Torpedoes.
Maximum Effective Range: Around Ship
Mega Damage: None
- 01-35 - Enemy missile or missile volley detonates in chaff cloud - Missiles are all destroyed.
36-60 - Enemy missile or missile volley loses track of real target and veers away in wrong direction (May lock onto another target.)
61-00 - No effect, enemy missile or missile volley is still on target.
The ship has all systems standard on a robot vehicle plus the following special features:
- "Pod Hunter" Soviet AEGIS: Can identify and simultaneously track up to can simultaneously track and identify up to 400 targets at one time. The system controls missile launched from the missile launchers and the system track and guide each individual missile to an individual target for up to 100 targets. Range: 312 miles (498.5 km). The system can also control missiles launched from other linked vessels as well and can also act as fire control for gun mounts. Not as advanced as the most advanced American pre-rifts Aegis systems but still very effective.
- "Morningstar" Active Phased Array Radar System: Unlike systems carried by most larger naval vessels, radar system is comprised of a single array on top of the main mast. This system is smaller, lighter, and requires less power than a system of fixed panels. If allowed by the horizon, the system can track out to 150 miles (241.4 km) and can simultaneously track and identify up to 240 targets at one time. The system controls missile launched from the long range missile launchers and the system can track and guide each individual missile to an individual target for up to 80 targets. If a target is eliminated, missiles are automatically guided to a new target. The system can also control missiles launched from other linked vessels as well and can also act as fire control for gun mounts.
- MGK-345 Bronza/Ox Yoke Hull Mounted Sonar: Sonar system has a range of around 16 nautical miles (18.4 miles / 29.6 km).. This hull sonar system has both a passive and active system built in. Sonar system can track up to 8 targets at one time
- Command and Control Facilities: The carrier carries extra communications equipment and command facilities, to enable the ship to operate as the flagship for a flotilla. When operating in a flotilla, all ships get a +1 on sensor rolls, +1 to strike on all weapons, and +10% on communications.
- Combination Radar Detectors and Active Jamming System: Combination of radar detection system (ESM) and an active jamming system. The system can detect another radar system at 125% of the range of the transmitting radar. In jamming mode, causes -25% to detection but when it is active, other vehicles/ bases can detect that it is jamming, and some missiles will home in on jamming signals. Jamming also causes a -4 penalty to all radar guided weapons.
[ Altarian TM, Bandito Arms TM, Brodkil TM, Chipwell Armaments TM, Coalition States TM, Cyber-Knight TM, Federation of Magic TM, Free Quebec TM, Golden Age Weaponsmiths TM, Iron Heart Armaments TM, Kankoran TM, Kittani TM, Larsen's Brigade TM, M.D.C. TM, Mechanoids TM, Mega-Damage TM, Megaversal Legion TM, Millennium Tree TM, Mutants in Orbit TM, Naruni Enterprises TM, New Navy TM, New Sovietskiy TM, NGR TM, Nog Heng TM, Northern Gun TM, Phase World TM, Psyscape TM, Rifter TM, SAMAS TM, S.D.C. TM, Shemarrian TM, Splugorth TM, Stormspire TM, Sunaj TM, Tolkeen TM, Triax TM, Wellington Industries TM, Wilk's Laser Technologies TM, Xiticix TM, and Zaayr TM are trademarks owned by Kevin Siembieda and Palladium Books Inc. ]
[ Beyond the Supernatural®, Heroes Unlimited®, Nightbane®, Ninjas & Superspies®, Palladium Fantasy®, and Rifts® are registered trademarks owned by Kevin Siembieda and Palladium Books Inc. ]
Image drawn and copyrighted by Mischa (E-Mail Mischa).
He has no art home page at present but many other items on my site.
Initial Concepts by Marina O'Leary (LusankyaN@aol.com ).
Writeup by Kitsune (E-Mail Kitsune).
Copyright © 2002, Kitsune. All rights reserved.