New Sovietskiy Marshal Isachenkov Amphibious Warfare Ship:
When Communist leaders took control in Russia, an important consideration was to revitalize the Soviet militaries. In the navy, combat vessels were considered a priority. Carriers, cruisers, destroyers, and submarines were considered the most important designs and amphibious vessels were of a very low priority. The Soviet Navy planned to use civilian "Roll On / Roll Off" vessels for amphibious operations if needed. In general, amphibious operations were considered a low priority. Realizing that there were several potential enemy bases which could be assaulted by amphibious operations, the Soviet naval leadership slowly began considering that a force of amphibious vessels should be laid down. Still, civilian vessels were considered an important boost to military forces and amphibious training incorporated civilian "Roll On / Roll Off" vessels even up to the coming of the Rifts. It should be noted that the Soviet Navy planned to increase their amphibious forces before the coming of the Rifts but events overtook construction.
The Marshal Isachenkov class Amphibious Warfare Ship is roughly equivalent to the American amphibious assault ships including such vessels as the older LPD-17 San Antonio class. The Amphibious Warfare Ships were complimented by the Borodino class Amphibious Multi-Role Command Ships. The Soviet Ivan Rogov class had been scrapped during democratic rule of Russia but were important concept vessels for the Marshal Isachenkov class. They are designed to carry a large number of troops and ground combat vehicles. Cyborg troops were later incorporated in the normal troop compliment of the vessel.
The first vessel of the Marshal Isachenkov class was laid down in 2043 compared to 2045 for the first of the Borodino class. The first vessel required three and a half years to complete but construction time decreased as more were completed and later ships of the class required only about two years to complete. A total of about one ship was laid down every two years but original plans were to build one vessel per year. A total of sixteen Amphibious Warfare Ships were completed but this fell considerably short of original plans. Still, the amphibious vessels would have been complimented by twice as many civilian vessels during times of war. Before the coming of the Rifts, eight more amphibious vessels of a similar design were laid down but none were completed before the cataclysm destroyed the shipyards. Several Marshal Isachenkov class Amphibious Warfare Ships were in amphibious task forces when the Rifts appeared. It is unknown if any survived the coming of the Rifts although there are stories of one or more soviet amphibious vessels caught in the polar icecap.
One major change compared to the Ivan Rogov class is that the vessel only has a rear vehicle door due to the fat that the forward door creates problems with high speed operation. In this respect, the vessel is more like American vessels. It was decided that the vessel would use two Gas Turbine engines instead of diesel engines. The engines are believed by many to be copies of the American LM-2500 engines. The ship’s top speed was around twenty-four knots. These engines were later replaced by fusion turbines in early vessels and later vessels had the fusion turbines installed during construction. The new engines increase the top speed to about twenty-six knots. The ship carries a single phased array radar system known as "Morningstar" which is very capable and acts as both the main fire control and air search radar. The vessels do not carry any sonar systems and depends on other vessels for defense against submarines.
A major difference between the Marshal Isachenkov class and American amphibious vessels is that the Soviet vessel is very heavily armed. The ship carries a forward mounted twin barrel 152-mm gun mount. The cannon is mainly designed for shore bombardment but is useful against attacking vessels as well. While attacks by destroyers and such vessels was considered unlikely, attacks of Corvettes and Patrol Boats were expected. The vessel carries cruise missiles as well for use in shore bombardment. One each side of the superstructure are four cruise missile launchers for a total of eight cruise missiles. The ship carries eight octuple medium range missile launchers for defense against missile strikes and attacking aircraft. Four launchers are positioned on each side of the amphibious vessel's superstructure above the main hanger. As final defense, the ship carried originally four CADS-N-1 weapon systems. These contained short range missile launchers combined with a point defense auto-cannon. These were later replaced by CADS-N-6 point defense mounts which substitute a pulse laser for the auto-cannon. The laser is similar to heavy energy rifles used by the Soviet Military and fires four shot bursts.
The amphibious vessel carries about the same number of combat vehicles as the Borodino class but carries a larger number of troops. The ship also carries two air cushion landing craft to carry both troops and combat vehicles to the shore. If the landing craft are not carried, twice as many combat vehicles can be carried. While the ships originally were not fitted to carry cyborgs, several of the ship’s berthing area were refitted for heavy cyborg soldiers. The ship also has a hanger for six embarked aircraft. Normally, six VTOL transport aircraft are carried but two are sometimes replaced by light VTOL attack. The crew is fairly small with a total of only around two hundred. The ship is comfortable for the fairly small crew but the larger troop compliment is berthed in less comfortable quarters. The ship does not have facilities for flag personnel but have been required to act as flagships for small amphibious groups composed of patrol boats and civilians vessels.
Model Type: Marshal Isachenkov class Amphibious Warfare Ship
Vehicle Type: Ocean, Amphibious Warfare Ship
Crew: 205; 22 officers, 183 petty officers and enlisted crew members.(Has a high degree of automation and can be run effectively by 100 crew members)
Troops: 20 VTOL Aircraft Crew Members, 250 vehicle crew members, 1,200 Normal Troops (Including Partial Conversions) / Light Cyborg Soldiers, and 400 Heavy Cyborg Soldiers (With Jet Packs)
Robots, Power Armors, and Vehicles:
|6||Yak-228 "Minstrel" ASW / Utility VTOL Aircraft|
|2||Air Cushion Landing Craft|
|30||PT-262 Light Amphibious Tanks (Can be replaced by 15 Main Battle Tanks)|
|50||BMD-9 Amphibious Combat Vehicle (Can be replaced by 25 Standard Troop Transports)|
M.D.C. by location:
| Rear Flight Deck||600|
|Rear Vehicle Doors:||400|
|152 mm Cannon Barrels (2):||100 each|
|152 mm Cannon Mounts (1, Forward of Superstructure):||250|
|CADS-N-6 Combination Anti-Missile Defense Systems (4):||225 each|
|SS-N-40 Cruise Missile Vertical Launchers (8, 4 each side):||150 each|
|Octuple Medium Range Vertical Launch System (8, 4 each side):||125 each|
|Chaff Launchers (8, Superstructure):||10 each|
| "Morningstar" Active Phased Array Radar (1, Superstructure):||250|
| Bridge / Command Tower:||800|
|Outer Hull (per 40 foot / 12.2 meter area):||65|
| Main Body:||4,500|
 If the flight deck is destroyed, no aircraft can be launched or land.
 Destroying the "Morningstar" Phase Array radar panel will destroy the ship’s main fire control systems but the vessel has backup systems with a shorter range (Equal to robot vehicle sensors)
 If Bridge / Superstructure is destroyed, the ship can still be piloted from engineering but with a -15% to piloting rolls. Communication and sensor equipment are not concentrated on the bridge to reduce the effectiveness of bridge hits.
 Destroying the main body causes the ship to lose structural integrity, causing the ship to sink. There are enough life preservers and inflatable life boats to accommodate everyone on the ship.
Surface: 29.9 mph (26 knots/ 48.2 kph)
Maximum Effective Range: Unlimited due to fusion engines (needs to refuel every 10 years and requires maintenance as well). Ship carries two months of supplies on board.
Length: 697.20 feet (212.5 meters)
Draft: 24.0 feet (7.3 meters)
Width: 106.6 feet (32.5 meters)
Displacement: 16,500 tons standard and 22,400 tons fully loaded
Cargo: 4,000 tons of nonessential equipment and supplies. Each enlisted crew member has a small locker for personal items and uniforms. Ships officers have more space for personal items. Most of the ship’s spaces are taken up by extra ammo, armor, troops, weapons, and engines.
Power System: 2 Fusion Reactors, average life span is 10 years
Market Cost: Not for Sale but costs around 400 million credits to construct. If found and sold on the black market would probably cost 600 to 800 million credits.
- One (1) Double Barrel 152 mm Naval Gun: The ship carried a single double barrel turret mounted on a forward platform on the main superstructure. The weapon is based on standard artillery systems and was carried on a most soviet combatant vessels. Weapon is single barrel but is preferred by most crews over the dual 130 mm cannon carried on many previous classes because while it has a slower rate of fire, it has a longer range using rocket propelled rounds and has the ability to inflict larger damage per round. Can use both standard rounds and rocket propelled rounds. Weapon does not have the extremely long range projectiles available to the American 155 mm cannon. The turret can rotate 360 and has a 90 arc of fire. The weapon mount is heavily automated and is capable against other ships, against ground targets, and against aircraft. Plasma rounds are a late pre-Rifts innovation and are rare and expensive.
- Kashstan CADS-N-6 CIWS Systems (4): Combination Anti-Missile Defense Systems which combines both a rapid fire laser and a short range missile launchers. On is mounted on each of the four corners of the ship’s superstructure. While mounted in one system, both defense systems have separate tracking systems. Short range missiles are designed to be able to track and target multiple missiles simultaneously. Laser system fires four shot bursts and is capable of destroying missiles and inflicting serious damage on aircraft. Laser is similar to the S-500 Cyclone Pulse Laser Rifle with extended range. System can be targeted against surface targets and ground targets.
- SS-N-40 Cruise Missile Vertical Launchers (8): The launchers are located on the superstructure with four on either side. The cruise missiles can be fired be fired at either ground or surface targets but cannot be targeted on air targets. The launchers can launch at multiple targets simultaneously.
- Medium Range Octuple Vertical Launch System (8): These launchers are mounted with four on either side of the superstructure. They are mounted on top of the main hanger. These launchers are modified versions of previous medium range vertical launch missile systems. Normal role for the missiles is to act as medium defense of the vessel. They can launch on either ground, surface, or air targets. The launchers can launch at multiple targets simultaneously.
- Chaff Launcher (8): Located on the superstructure of the ship, they are designed to confuse incoming missiles. All eight launchers must be operated or effects will be reduced. Reduce effects of launchers by 50% per launcher not used. Rifts Earth decoy systems are assumed to not operate on Phase World missiles due to technological difference. Reduce effects by 20% against smart missiles (Add +20% to rolls for smart missiles.)
Maximum Effective Range: 15.3 miles (13.2 nautical miles / 24.7 km) for standard projectiles, 24.9 miles (21.6 nautical miles / 40.0 km) for rocket propelled rounds.
Mega-Damage: Standard Projectiles: 2D6x10 to a blast radius of 25 ft (7.7 m) for High Explosive, 3D6x10 to a blast radius of 6 ft (2 m) for High Explosive Armor Piercing, and 4D6x10 to a blast radius of 25 ft (7.7 m) for Plasma. Rocket projectiles: 2D4x10 to a blast radius of 20 ft (6.1 m) for High Explosive, 2D6x10 to a blast radius of 4 ft (1.2 m) for High Explosive Armor Piercing, and 3D6x10 to a blast radius of 20 ft (6.1 m) for Plasma. Use the statistics for 155 mm artillery warheads (Go to Battlefield Artillery for Rifts for more information - standard or rocket assisted as appropriate) when using artillery rounds.
Rate of Fire: Normal Projectiles: Up to eight single shots per turret per melee.
Payload: 600 rounds total.
Maximum Effective Range: Laser Cannons: 4,000 feet (1,220 meters). Short Range Missiles: As per short range missile type (See revised bomb and missile tables for details.)
Mega Damage: Laser Cannons: 1D6x10 MD for four shot burst. Short Range Missiles: As per short range missile type (Usually fragmentation) (See revised bomb and missile tables for details.)
Rate of Fire: Laser Cannons: 6 attacks per melee. (+2 to strike aircraft; +3 to strike missiles.) Short Range Missiles: One at a time or in volleys of 2, 3, or 4 per launcher. Can fire up to six times per melee in place of gun fire.
Payload: Laser Cannons: Effectively unlimited. Short Range Missiles: 32 short range missiles per mount.
Maximum Effective Range: Varies with cruise missile type (See revised bomb and missile tables for details.)
Mega Damage: Varies with cruise missile type (See revised bomb and missile tables for details.)
Rate of Fire: Can fire missiles one at a time or volleys of two (2), four (4), six (6), or eight (8) missiles per melee.
Payload: 8 Cruise Missiles.
Maximum Effective Range: Varies with medium range missile type (See revised bomb and missile tables for details.)
Mega-Damage: Varies with medium range missile type (See revised bomb and missile tables for details.)
Rate of Fire: Can fire missiles one at a time or in volleys of any amount up to sixteen (16) missiles total in any combination and at multiple targets at the same time.
Payload: 64 medium range missiles total (8 missiles per launcher)
Maximum Effective Range: Around Ship
Mega Damage: None
- 01-35 - Enemy missile or missile volley detonates in chaff cloud - Missiles are all destroyed.
36-60 - Enemy missile or missile volley loses track of real target and veers away in wrong direction (May lock onto another target.)
61-00 - No effect, enemy missile or missile volley is still on target.
The ship has all systems standard on a robot vehicle plus the following special features:
- "Morningstar" Active Phased Array Radar System: Unlike systems carried by most larger naval vessels, radar system is comprised of a single array on top of the main mast. This system is smaller, lighter, and requires less power than a system of fixed panels. If allowed by the horizon, the system can track out to 150 miles (241.4 km) and can simultaneously track and identify up to 240 targets at one time. The system controls missile launched from the long range missile launchers and the system can track and guide each individual missile to an individual target for up to 80 targets. If a target is eliminated, missiles are automatically guided to a new target. The system can also control missiles launched from other linked vessels as well and can also act as fire control for gun mounts.
- Combination Radar Detectors and Active Jamming System: Combination of radar detection system (ESM) and an active jamming system. The system can detect another radar system at 125% of the range of the transmitting radar. In jamming mode, causes -25% to detection but when it is active, other vehicles/ bases can detect that it is jamming, and some missiles will home in on jamming signals. Jamming also causes a -4 penalty to all radar guided weapons.
[ Altarian TM, Bandito Arms TM, Brodkil TM, Chipwell Armaments TM, Coalition States TM, Cyber-Knight TM, Federation of Magic TM, Free Quebec TM, Golden Age Weaponsmiths TM, Iron Heart Armaments TM, Kankoran TM, Kittani TM, Larsen's Brigade TM, M.D.C. TM, Mechanoids TM, Mega-Damage TM, Megaversal Legion TM, Millennium Tree TM, Mutants in Orbit TM, Naruni Enterprises TM, New Navy TM, New Sovietskiy TM, NGR TM, Nog Heng TM, Northern Gun TM, Phase World TM, Psyscape TM, Rifter TM, SAMAS TM, S.D.C. TM, Shemarrian TM, Splugorth TM, Stormspire TM, Sunaj TM, Tolkeen TM, Triax TM, Wellington Industries TM, Wilk's Laser Technologies TM, Xiticix TM, and Zaayr TM are trademarks owned by Kevin Siembieda and Palladium Books Inc. ]
[ Beyond the Supernatural®, Heroes Unlimited®, Nightbane®, Ninjas & Superspies®, Palladium Fantasy®, and Rifts® are registered trademarks owned by Kevin Siembieda and Palladium Books Inc. ]
Vessel Drawing is drawn and copyrighted by Kitsune (E-Mail Kitsune).
Initial Concepts by Marina O'Leary (LusankyaN@aol.com ).
Writeup by Kitsune (E-Mail Kitsune).
Copyright © 2002 & 2003, Kitsune. All rights reserved.