New Sovietskiy Mig-58 Firebolt Interceptor:
Excerpt from Fox's Combat Aircraft of the World, 2090 to 2091:
This aircraft is the front line main Soviet interceptor. While the Su-47D Foxfire makes up the majority of the Soviet Fighter forces, the Su-47D is more of a multi-role aircraft with dogfighting and ground attack being its primary missions. The Mig-58 Firebolt's major role is long range interception. While the United States and European Nation have several fighters and fighter/bombers which could actually outrun the Su-47D, it is believed that the real reason for the Soviet Interceptor was the Chinese stealth bomber based on the old Soviet Tu-160 Blackjack bomber. Like the American aircraft, the Chinese bomber could outrun the Su-47D Foxfire but can carry a much heavy payload of nuclear warheads. The same Chinese stealth bomber was purchased by Argentina and were used on a nuclear attack against a British carrier force in 2072. The Soviets are reported to believe that the Chinese are far more likely to attack them than the United States or Europe. Several tense stand-offs between the two nations have occurred over the years. As a result, the largest number of Mig-58 Interceptors are stationed near the border with China. There are smaller groups of interceptors deployed in various other parts of the Soviet Union against attacks from other nations but are positioned near the borders to reduce time to intercept.
Formal design request for a new interceptor was submitted in 2066. Mikoyan-Gurevich took an early lead in the design process and won the contract in 2068 with their prototype against several other entries including an upgraded Su-47 design. The Mig-58 prototype was the fastest design and was reported as being able to achieve speeds above Mach 3.5. Several improvement were introduced between the prototype and the first production aircraft including even more powerful engines, improved electronics, and changes in the weapon's suite. The first production Mig-58 Interceptor rolled off the production line in 2071. Production has continued to present but in far fewer number than the Su-47D Foxfire which forms the bulk of Soviet fighter forces. It is flown by Soviet air forces only and is not believed to be operated by either Naval aviation and has not been exported. The interceptor was first reported by Western Intelligence in 2072 but much of the information was conflicting on the Mig-58. It was given the codename of Firebolt by American Intelligence. The Soviet interceptor was first shown in an air show in 2074 and was first reported by the Soviet media at the same time. The Mig-58 was reported as being the fastest aircraft in the world by the Soviet News Agencies as propaganda for the greatness of Soviet industry. An interesting note is that the United States was working on the Starblade Hypersonic fighter at the same time and likely the prototype was already operational at that time. The Starblade is about three times faster than the Soviet Mig-58 interceptor.
The main body of the Mig-58 is a streamlined delta wing which is optimized for high speed. The aircraft is partially designed with stealth in the body shape and uses radar absorbing materials but this is strictly secondary and the interceptor is not equal of most American fighters. Like most new fighter designs, the Mig-58 is constructed from high strength composites which can withstand incredible damage. To increase maneuverability, the fighter has forward canards and flight services are controlled by a fly by wire system. The fly by wire system has multiple redundancies and is protected by armored cable-ways. The interceptor has two powerful fusion turbine engines which are credited with a top speed of over Mach 3.8 by official Soviet reports. The thrusters are designed to be able to be independently vectored. The vectored thrusters and fly by wire system are computer controlled for excellent maneuverability yet the fighter is not quite as agile as the Su-47D Foxfire. The Mig-58 is designed to operate in both high altitude and nap of the earth missions. The Mig-58 is designed with ground attack capability as a secondary role although due the comparatively small number of Mig-58 Interceptors available. Electronics are more advanced than those carried on the Su-47D Foxfire are believed to be close to American top of the line in capabilities. The interceptor has a long range phased array radar system that is reported as being able to track and target up to twenty-four targets simultaneously.
The Mig-58 carries a pulse laser as its sole fixed weapon. It is mounted on the interceptor's left wing root. Western experts believe that the laser is similar to the S-500 Cyclone Pulse Laser Rifle with an extended range. It does not inflict as much damage as the dual rail guns carried on the Su-47D but has the advantage of unlimited payload. The fighter has eight hard points for missiles with four on the wings and four on the fuselage. Like the Su-47D, they are partially recessed. This both reduces their penalty to top speed and stealth although speed seems to be the most important reason. The interceptor is most commonly armed with long range missiles with heavy warheads for the interception of bombers but other ordnance types can be carried including bombs and mini-missile packs. The Mig-58 carries a towed decoy on each wingtip which is believed to be fundamentally identical to the towed decoy system carried on the Su-47D.
Designation: Mig-58 (NATO Name Firebolt)
Vehicle Type: Dual Engine High Speed Interceptor
M.D.C. by Location:
|Forward Mounted Pulse Laser (1; Wing Root):||50|
|Missile Hard Points (8):||10 each|
| Forward Canard Wings (2):||50 each|
| Wings (2):||130 each|
| Rudders (2):||65 each|
| Engines (2):||120 each|
|Landing Gear (3):||15 each|
| Main Body:||200|
 Destroying one or both Canard Wings will result in reducing bonuses to dodge by two and removing the 10% bonus to piloting the aircraft.
 Destroying a Wing will cause the plane to crash
 Destruction of rudders will still allow the fighter to be controlled by the varying of power levels of the engines but the fighter has a penalty of -10 to dodge, and a -30% penalty to all piloting rolls. Destruction of both of the elevators will leave the plane uncontrollable and pilot must eject to survive.
 The destruction of one engine will reduce the fighters top speed by half and give the pilot a -2 penalty to dodge as well as giving a 10% penalty to piloting. Destruction of both engines will cause the aircraft to crash. Pilot may attempt an emergency landing or pilot can choose to eject.
 Depleting the M.D.C. of the main body will shut the Aircraft down completely, rendering it useless and causing it to crash if in flight. Damage to the main body will also reduce the aircraft's stealth, for every 10% of damage to the main body, reduce the aircraft's stealth by 10% of its total.
Driving on Ground (Taxiing): Only possible for take offs and landings as well as for parking and storage. Speed is 40 mph (64 kph) when traveling and not on take off or landing. Because of the vectoring of the thrusters, the fighter can take off in a short distance.
Flying: The fighter can go up to a maximum speed of Mach 3.85 (2,854.6 mph/4,594.0 kph). Its cruise speed is up to Mach 2.0 (1,482.9 mph/ 2,386.5 kph) and has a maximum altitude is about 80,000 feet (24,380 meters).
Because the aircraft ordnance is carried in recessed hard points, performance reduction is less then might be expected. With a full load of external ordnance, Maximum speed is reduced to Mach 3.5 (2,595.1 mph /4,176.4 kph) on full output
Maximum Effective Range: Nuclear powered, giving it continual energy, but the jet engines begin to overheat after 10 hours of continual use. Occasional rest stops every 4 to 6 hours, giving the engines an hour to cool down, will allow
the aircraft to travel indefinitely.
Height: 22.3 feet (6.8 meters)
Wingspan: 44.6 feet (13.6 meters)
Length: 73.5 feet (22.4 meters)
Weight: 79,370 pounds (36,000 kg) empty and 92,595 pounds (42,000 kg) fully loaded.
Power System: Nuclear Fusion, Should have an average lifespan of 8 years.
Cargo: Minimal (Storage for small equipment), does not include hard points
Black Market Cost: Not available. None are known to have survived the coming of the Rifts. The jet has never been know to have been recovered by anyone. Such an aircraft would sell for 60 to 80 million credits on the open market.
- Forward Mounted Pulse Laser (1): Laser is mounted on the wing root of the fighter. While the weapon inflicts less damage than the twin rail guns carried on the Foxfire fighter. The Laser fires four shot bursts and is capable of destroying missiles and inflicting serious damage on aircraft. Laser is similar to the S-500 Cyclone Pulse Laser Rifle with extended range. It serves as the one of last line of defense against enemy planes and missile volleys, although some pilots use it for strafing runs against ground targets when they are out of missiles. Many pilots do not like being exposed to ground weapons fire so it is an uncommon practice.
- External Hard Points (8): The Mig-58 has a total of eight hard points with two hard points under each wing and four hard points on the fuselage of the aircraft. The hard points can be used to carry missiles, bombs, and rocket packs as needed by the mission. Missiles, rocket packs, and bombs can be mixed or matched but all ordnance on a hard point must be the same type. Ordnance is normally carried in symmetrical pairs although is not necessary. Ordnance reduces fighter's stealth. Missiles and bombs only reduce the fighter's stealth from the bottom and reduce stealth by 5% per hard point carry ordnance. Missile pods reduce stealth from the sides as well and reduce stealth by 10% per hard point.
- Bombs and Missiles: The only restriction is that a hard point must carry all the same type of missiles or bombs. Both unguided and guided bombs can be carried.
- Mini-Missile Pod: Large capacity mini-missile pod. The mini missile pods are normally carried for ground strafing, anti-troop, and anti-emplacement attacks. Normal missile used are armor piercing, plasma, or fragmentation mini-missiles.
- Anti-Missile Chaff/Flare Dispenser (1): Use the same effects as the TRIAX model. However, each time the system is engaged, the system fires off one chaff and 1D4 flares. Rifts Earth decoy systems are assumed to not operate against Phase World missiles due to technological difference. Reduce effects by 20% against smart missiles (Add +20% to rolls for smart missiles.)
Maximum Effective Range: 4,000 feet (1,220 meters).
Mega-Damage: 1D6x10 MD for four shot burst.
Rate of Fire: Equal to the combined hand to hand attacks of the pilot (usually 5 or 6).
Payload: Effectively unlimited.
Maximum Effective Range: Varies by missile type for missile and varies by altitude bombs are dropped at (Go to Revised bomb and missile table).
Mega Damage: Varies by missile or bomb type (Go to Revised bomb and missile table).
Rate of Fire: Missiles can be fired and bombs can be dropped one at a time per hard point. Multiple hard points can be linked as one attack but must be the same size (light, medium, or heavy) and style of ordnance (all missiles or bombs in a volley)
Payload: One long range missile or heavy bomb, two medium range missile or medium bombs, or four short range missiles or light bombs (see above - all ordnance on a hard point must be the same size and type of ordnance)
Maximum Effective Range: Varies with missile types, mini-missiles only (Go to Revised bomb and missile table).
Mega Damage: Varies with mini-missile types (Go to Revised bomb and missile table).
Rate of Fire: Each pod can fire one at a time or in volleys of 2, 4, or 8 and can be linked with other mini missile pods for greater number of missiles (Counts as one attack no matter how many missiles in volley)
Payload: each pod carries 16 mini-missiles.
Payload: Varies by hard point (see above - all ordnance on a hard point must be the same size and type of ordnance)
- 01-50 Enemy missile or missile volley detonates in chaff cloud - Missile
are all destroyed
51-75 Enemy missile or missile volley loses track of real target and veers away in wrong direction (May lock onto another target)
76-00 No effect, missile is still on target
Duration: 1D4 melee rounds.
Payload: 20 chaff, 40 flares. Each time the system is engaged, the system fires off one chaff and 1D4 flares.
Effects: The decoy has an 65% chance of fooling ordinary non military radars and non smart guided missiles, the decoy has a 35% chance of fooling military level radars (like those of the Coalition), and the decoy has a 10% chance of fooling advanced military radars (Like those of the New Navy and TRIAX) and smart missiles.
Maximum Effective Range: Not Applicable although decoy is deployed 328 feet (100 meters) from the aircraft
Rate of Fire: One can be deployed at a time and requires 15 seconds to deploy (Reel Out) another decoy
Payload: 4 Decoys (2 each)
The fighter has all the standard features of a standard fighter (same as standard robot minus loudspeaker and microphone) plus these special features listed below.
- Stealth Feature: The stealth features are not as efficient as those on American aircraft and has a -50 % to be detected because of its stealth. The fighter does not have an ordnance back but has recessed hard points so missiles or other ordnance do not reduce stealth by as much as might be expected. Stealth is not reduced from the top and sides but each hard point with ordnance reduces stealth by 5% from the bottom for missiles and bombs. The fighter's stealth is reduced by 10% for mini-missile pods. Go to General Detection Penalties for more information on penalties and bonuses to use with stealth.
- Phazontron ZPZ-20-B Phased-Array Radar: Medium/Long Range Phased Array Radar capable of tracking both air targets and ground targets. The radar system also has terrain following capacity. The fighter can track up to 48 targets simultaneously and can target and fire on up to 24 targets simultaneously. Range: 400 miles (643.7 km)
- FLIR: Forward Looking Infrared. Allows pilot to get visuals on targets at night.
- Laser Navigational System: Allow flight at low altitude without use of Radar. Gives a map of the Terrain.
- Internal Active Jamming Gear: Causes -25% to detection but when it is active, other vehicles/ bases can detect that it is jamming, and some missiles will home in on jamming signals. Jamming also causes a -4 penalty to all radar guided weapons.
- E.S.M.: Radar Detector, Passively detects other radars being operated.
- +2 to strike
+2 to dodge
+4 to dodge while traveling over 300 mph
[ Altarian TM, Bandito Arms TM, Brodkil TM, Chipwell Armaments TM, Coalition States TM, Cyber-Knight TM, Federation of Magic TM, Free Quebec TM, Golden Age Weaponsmiths TM, Iron Heart Armaments TM, Kankoran TM, Kittani TM, Larsen's Brigade TM, Mechanoids TM, Mega-Damage TM, Megaversal Legion TM, Millennium Tree TM, Mutants in Orbit TM, Naruni Enterprises TM, New Navy TM, New Sovietskiy TM, NGR TM, Northern Gun TM, Phase World TM, Psyscape TM, Rifter TM, SAMAS TM, S.D.C. TM, Shemarrian TM, Splugorth TM, Stormspire TM, Sunaj TM, Tolkeen TM, Triax TM, Wellington Industries TM, Wilk's Laser Technologies TM, and Xiticix TM are trademarks owned by Kevin Siembieda and Palladium Books Inc. ]
[ Beyond the Supernatural®, Heroes Unlimited®, Nightbane®, Ninjas & Superspies®, Palladium Fantasy®, and Rifts® are registered trademarks owned by Kevin Siembieda and Palladium Books Inc. ]
By Kitsune (E-Mail Kitsune).
Copyright © 2002, Kitsune. All rights reserved.