New Sovietskiy Redkiy Surface Effect Ship Frigate:
Surface Effect Ships have rigid sidewalls for stability and support, with lift fans generating air which is trapped between the sidewalls and the flexible seals or "skirts" forward and aft. This design permits high speed operation (80+ Knots) due to there being less hull area in the water to create drag. This differs from the design of air cushion vehicles which contains the lift air entirely with a flexible skirt. The United States experimented with the idea in the late Twentieth century and at one time a frigate sized Surface Effect Ship was proposed. It was not progressed with in the United States Navy and remained an interesting experiment. Instead they went with more conventional and trimeran hull designs for the most part. A small number of other Surface Effect Ship designs were built mostly by Norway although Russia did produce a pair of surface effect type missile corvettes. Even though generally considered successful, they were eventually decommissioned and scrapped.
It was not until the later part of the Twenty-First Century that the concept was further developed in the Soviet Navy. When the Soviet Navy was reborn after Communists took control of the government in 2027, they concentrated on destroyers and patrol vessels and did not construct any further frigates. A few old frigates were refitted with new armor but they were soon scrapped as new frigates and destroyers entered service. It was not until the later part of the Twenty First Century that interest in frigates were rekindled although a small number of frigates were build. The Soviet navy wanted a really fast design which could carry embarked aircraft and carry considerable weaponry. Interest in a large surface effect vessel design was rekindled. Roles envisioned were the same as for the smaller surface effect corvette with anti-submarine warfare and high speed missile strikes against surface targets. One major difference was the embarked aircraft to increase anti-submarine capabilities and to help spot targets for missile strikes. Missile strikes are planned against other naval vessels as well as shore bases. For engineering reasons, it was decided that a ship larger than a frigate would be impractical.
It was not until 2088 that the first vessel was laid down. It was decided that the corvette sized version of the vessel would be tested before the Navy would commit to a frigate sized surface effect ship. Only one was laid down the first years but following it, two were laid down each year. The first vessel was commissioned in 2092. The class was one of the newest classes when events overtook the world in the form of the Rifts. A total of fourteen vessels had been completed with six more under construction. While most of the vessels were destroyed, one survived in the hands of warlords and another defected to Germany when the apocalypse descended on humanity. It is also some may have survived in other locations around the oceans of the former Soviet Union.
Like the smaller corvette design, the hull of these vessels are far wider in relation to the vessels length compared to more traditional frigate designs. In some ways, the vessel looks like simply an enlarged version of the Perekat class surface effect corvette. The whole frigate is constructed from high strength composites including the vessel's skirts / flexible seals. Still, the skirts can be a weak point and the frigate's speed is greatly reduced when not riding on its air cushion. Unlike most older soviet designs, stealth was a design factor when designing the Redkiy class frigate. Radar cross signature is reduced considerably but was inferior to that of American frigates of the same time. Power is provided by ten fusion turbines identical to those carried on the Perekat class surface effect corvette. Six of the fusion turbines provide thrust using four water jets which are semi-submerged. Four of the fusion turbines provide lift for the Surface Effect Ship. Still, the top speed of the frigate is slightly slower than the corvette sized surface effect ship with a top speed of 78 knots. This fell sort of designed top speed but no attempt was made to correct this. The top speed was seen as fast enough for any missions it was designed to perform. One problem is that the hull it out of the water in most cases so the vessel does not carry a hull sonar and instead carries a towed array sonar. Even so, the towed sonar is far less effective when the frigate is traveling at high speeds and will usually slow down and settle off the air cushion when it is using the towed array sonar. The same lightweight single array phased array system carried on the Perekat class surface effect corvette was carried on the frigate. While not as capable as larger phased array system carried on larger vessels, it is still quite capable.
Weaponry is similar to the smaller corvette but more ordnance is carried. A 100-mm electro-thermal cannon was adopted for the main gun weaponry of the vessel. It was mounted near the bow and was designed have an increased range compared to a conventional cannon while retaining a high rate of fire. The weapon mount uses a series of special capacitors to provide the power bursts required for the electro-thermal cannon to first bursts of rounds. Instead of carrying separate launchers for different types of missiles, the vessel carried missile launchers which could launch a variety of different missiles. Most scholars consider the launchers to simply be copies of the American Mk 41 missile launcher. The launchers are of the extended variety and can carry one cruise missile, two long range missiles, or four medium range missiles each missile cell. On each side, the ship carries sixteen missile cells. Usual missile payload is eight cruise missiles, twenty-four long range missiles and forty-eight medium range missiles. Behind the launchers, the ship has twin torpedo tubes on either side for use against submarines and surface vessels. More reloads are carried than the smaller corvette. As an additional anti-submarine and torpedo weapon, the Redkiy mounts a "killer dart" interceptor torpedo system. The launcher is mounted behind the 1100-mm electro-thermal cannon. On the front and back of the superstructure are CADS-N-6 point defense mounts with a combination pulse laser and short range missile launchers. The laser is similar to heavy energy rifles used by the Soviet Military and fires four shot bursts and missile launchers carry thirty-two short range missiles each.
Crew of the vessel is designed to be fairly small but is still larger than that of the corvette type surface effect ship. Crew is normally around 108 but a larger wartime compliment of 132 can be embarked. Crew quarters are comfortable but have no large luxuries. The ship can be effectively run by a crew of around sixty. The ship has a hanger for two embarked VTOL aircraft. As stated earlier, these are usually used for anti-submarine operations and over the horizon targeting. In addition to the crew, the ship can carry sixteen troops for both shipboard defense and boarding parties. While human sized cyborgs can be embarked without problems, the ship can only carry heavy cyborgs on the outside. Ut to eight can be carried in this manner.
Model Type: Redkiy Surface Effect Ship Frigate
Vehicle Type: Ocean, Surface Effect Ship Frigate
Crew: 108; 12 officers, 96 petty officers and enlisted crew members (Has a high degree of automation and can be run effectively by 60 crew members)
Troops: 8 VTOL Aircraft Crew Members, 16 troops for shipboard defense / boarding (Including Partial Conversions and Light Cyborgs / Not often carried). Can carry up to eight Heavy Cyborgs on the outside of the vessel
Robots, Power Armors, and Vehicles:
|2||Helicopters or other VTOL Aircraft (Usually for ASW)|
M.D.C. by Location:
|Single 100-mm Electro-Thermal Gun System (1, forward):||120|
|CADS-N-6 Combination Anti-Missile Defense Systems (2):||225 each|
|Strategic Length 16-Cell Vertical Launch Systems (2, sides):||300 each|
|Killer Dart "Interceptor" Torpedo Launcher (1, forward):||80|
|Twin 21 inch (533 mm) Torpedo Launchers (2, sides):||100 each|
| "Flail Eye" Active Phased Array Radar (1, Superstructure):||150|
|Chaff Launchers (2, sides of superstructure):||10 each|
|Bridge / Superstructure:||550|
| Propulsion Water-Jets (6, Rear):||120 each|
| Skirts (2, Forward and aft):||160 each|
| Main Body:||1,800|
 Destroying the "Flail Eye" Active Phased Array Radar system will eliminate the ship’s long range air search ability but weapon systems have backup fire control systems.
 Destruction of a Water-Jets will reduce top speed by one sixth by each water-jet destroyed. Destruction of a Skirt will reduce top speed to 20 knots (23.0 mph / 37.1 kph)
 Destroying the main body destroys propulsion and power systems, disabling the ship. The ship is fitted with an advanced polymer armors that allow the ship to withstand up to -400 M.D.C. before losing structural integrity and sinking. There are enough life preservers and inflatable life boats to accommodate everyone on the ship.
On Water, Hull Borne: 23.0 mph (20 knots/ 37.1 kph)
On Water, On Air Cushion: 89.8 mph (78 knots/ 144.6 kph)
Range: Unlimited due to fusion engines (needs to refuel every 10 years and requires maintenance as well). Ship carries four weeks of supplies on board.
Draft: Hull Borne: 30.2 feet (9.2 meters), On Air Cushion: 13.5 feet (4.1 meters)
Width: 100.4 feet (30.6 meters)
Length: 282.8 feet (86.2 meters)
Displacement: 2,820 tons standard displacement, 3,045 tons displacement with full load, and 3,210 tons maximum displacement.
Cargo: Can carry 100 tons (90.7 metric tons) of extraneous cargo. Each enlisted crew member has a small locker for personal items and uniforms. Ships officers have some more space for personal items. Most of the ship’s spaces are taken up by extra ammo, armor, troops, weapons, and engines.
Power System: 10 Mini Nuclear Fusion Reactors, average life span is 10 years.
Black Market Price: 500-800 million credits on the black market for an intact model.
- One (1) Single 100-mm Electro-Thermal Gun System: Same caliber as of the cannon carried on the Tashkent class patrol vessel but has better range than the standard cannon. Cannon has a special recoil system to reduce felt recoil. The projectile is loaded into the barrel, behind which there is a "propellant", which is a dot of light metal. A powerful electromagnetic force is applied to the metal, which causes its atoms to "switch" directions. This happens so violently that the metal turns to plasma, and this expanding gas then drives the projectile forward. The turret has a 360 degree rotation and can elevate up to 85 degrees as well as depress 5 degrees. The gun can fire rapidly at the rate of 50 rounds per minute and is radar directed. Weapon inflicts large amounts of damage when rapidly fired on a single target. The weapon is useful on land, surface, and air targets. Plasma rounds are a late pre-Rifts innovation and are rare and expensive.
- Two (2) Kashstan CADS-N-6 CIWS Systems: Combination Anti-Missile Defense Systems which combines both a rapid fire laser and a short range missile launchers. One is mounted on the forward and aft parts of the vessel's superstructure. While mounted in one system, both defense systems have separate tracking systems. Short range missiles are designed to be able to track and target multiple missiles simultaneously. Laser system fires four shot bursts and is capable of destroying missiles and inflicting serious damage on aircraft. Laser is similar to the S-500 Cyclone Pulse Laser Rifle with extended range. System can be targeted against surface targets and ground targets.
- Two (2) Strategic Length 16-Cell Vertical Launch Systems: Believed to be a copy of the very reliable American Mk-41 Vertical Launch System which dated back to the previous century and was exported to numerous allied nations. The strategic length launcher can carry cruise missiles, long range missiles, and medium range missiles. The frigate normally carries 48 medium range missiles, 24 long range missiles, and 8 cruise missiles total. The ship has a launcher on either side of the superstructure.
- Two (2) Twin 21 inch (533 mm) Torpedo Launchers: Mainly design for anti-submarine warfare but can be used against surface targets. There is one launcher on each side of the ship with two tubes each. The tubes have been modified to use an automatic reloading system and can be fired quickly. These are modern, variable option torpedoes that are about 25% faster than the latest US designs of the time period. These torpedoes are also slightly larger than the standard US torpedo launchers. (These torpedoes are considered the equivalent of smart missiles and have advanced tracking and avoidance systems that give them a +5 to strike, +3 to dodge, and 2 attacks per melee until they strike their target or run out of fuel.)
- One (1) Killer Dart "Interceptor" Short Range Torpedo Launcher: The launcher is mounted on the front of the vessel behind the main cannon. These so called "Killer Darts" are a Russian interceptor torpedo, designed primarily for intercepting and hitting incoming torpedoes, with a secondary function against small submersibles and submersible power armors. They mount in a similar position to the ASW Rail launchers carries on late Twentieth Century Soviet vessels. American and European designed prefer to fire interceptor torpedoes from their standard torpedo tubes. Launcher is primarily designed to intercept incoming torpedoes but can be used against other vessels, against large submarines, and against underwater troops. Other torpedoes can be used but are very rarely used.
- Two (2) Chaff Launcher: Located on the superstructure of the ship, they are designed to confuse incoming missiles. Both launchers must be operational for the full effects. Reduce effects of launchers by 50% per launcher not used or disabled. Rifts Earth decoys systems are assumed to not operate on Phase World missiles due to technological difference. Reduce effects by 20% against smart missiles (Add +20% to rolls for smart missiles.)
Maximum Effective Range: 12.4 miles (20 km)
Mega-Damage: High Explosive: 1D4x10+10 M.D.C. with 12 ft (3.7 m) blast radius per single shot and 3D4x10+30 M.D.C. with 25 ft (7.6 m) blast radius for three round burst. High Explosive Armor Piercing: 1D6x10+10 M.D.C. with 5 ft (1.5 m) blast radius per single shot and 3D6x10+30 M.D.C. with 10 ft (3 m) blast radius for three round burst. Plasma: 2D6x10 M.D.C. with 15 ft (4.6 m) blast radius per single shot and 6D6x10 M.D.C. with 30 ft (9.1 m) blast radius for three round burst.
Rate of Fire: Up to four (4) single shots or bursts per melee.
Payload: 240 rounds total.
Maximum Effective Range: Laser Cannons: Maximum Effective Range: 4,000 feet (1,220 meters). Short Range Missiles: As per short range missile type (See revised bomb and missile tables for details.)
Mega Damage: Laser Cannons: 1D6x10 MD for four shot burst. Short Range Missiles: As per short range missile type (Usually fragmentation) (See revised bomb and missile tables for details.)
Rate of Fire: Laser Cannons: Six (6) attacks per melee. (+2 to strike aircraft; +3 to strike missiles.) Short Range Missiles: One at a time or in volleys of two (2), three (3), or four (4) per launcher. Can fire up to six times per melee in place of gun fire.
Payload: Laser Cannons: Effectively unlimited. Short Range Missiles: 32 short range missiles per mount.
Maximum Effective Range: As per cruise, long range, or medium range missile type (See revised bomb and missile tables for details.)
Mega-Damage: As per medium range missile type (See revised bomb and missile tables for details.)
Rate of Fire: Can fire missiles one at a time or in volleys of two (2), four (4), or sixteen (16) missiles for both launchers per melee and can be fired at multiple targets at the same time.
Payload: 16 missile cells in each VLS launcher (Can carry a total of 32 long range missiles per launcher). One cruise missile, two long range missiles, or four medium range missiles may be carried per cell. Ship carries no reloads. The frigate normally carries 48 medium range missiles, 24 long range missiles, and 8 cruise missiles total.
Maximum Effective Range: 40 miles (64 km), Rocket boosted torpedoes can also be fired from launcher.
Mega Damage: By Heavy torpedo warhead type (See revised Rifts torpedoes for details.) Rocket boosted torpedoes can also be fired from launcher (See revised Rifts torpedoes for details.)
Rate of Fire: Can fire torpedoes one at a time or in volleys of two (2) torpedoes per side. Reloading tubes takes one (1) full melee round.
Payload: Two (2) torpedoes/ missiles each launcher for a grand total of Four (4) torpedoes/missiles (Has 24 torpedoes / missiles for reloads)
Maximum Effective Range: 2000 feet (609.6 meters) using interceptor torpedoes, other torpedoes use standard rules (See revised Rifts torpedoes for details.)
Mega-Damage: By Short Range Torpedo Type (See revised Rifts torpedoes for details.)
Rate of Fire: Each launcher can fire salvos of up to eight (8) short range interceptor torpedoes per melee round.
Payload: Forty-Eight (48) Interceptor Torpedoes.
Maximum Effective Range: Around Ship
Mega Damage: None
- 36-60 - Enemy missile or missile volley loses track of real target and veers away in wrong direction (May lock onto
61-00 - No effect, enemy missile or missile volley is still on target.
The ship has all systems standard on a robot vehicle plus the following special features:
- "Flail Eye" Active Phased Array Radar System: Unlike systems carried by most larger naval vessels, radar system is comprised of a single array on top of the main mast. This system is smaller, lighter, and requires less power than a system of fixed panels. If allowed by the horizon, the system can track out to 175 miles (152 nautical miles / 281.6 km) and can simultaneously track and identify up to 200 targets at one time. The system controls missile launched from the long range missile launchers and the system can track and guide each individual missile to an individual target for up to 64 targets. If a target is eliminated, missiles are automatically guided to a new target. The system can also control missiles launched from other linked vessels as well and can also act as fire control for gun mounts.
- Advanced Towed Array Sonar System: The system is basically a long and very sensitive sonar system carried behind the ship on a long cable. Range of 100 miles (86.9 nautical miles / 160.9 km). This towed array sonar system has both a passive and active system built in. Sonar system can track up to 48 targets at one time. Sonar system has a penalty of -20% when the vessel is operating on air cushion and is traveling faster than 20 knots (23.0 mph / 37.1 kph)
- Radar Defeating Profile & Radar Absorbing Materials: The ship superstructure is designed so that the radar profile of the ship is reduced and the ship is covered with radar absorbing materials. Because of this, attempts to detect the ship using radar are made with a -20% penalty to read sensor rolls when attempting to detect this ship. Go to General Detection Penalties for more information on penalties and bonuses to use with stealth.
- Combination Radar Detectors and Active Jamming System: Combination of radar detection system (ESM) and an active jamming system. The system can detect another radar system at 125% of the range of the transmitting radar. In jamming mode, causes -25% to detection but when it is active, other vehicles/ bases can detect that it is jamming, and some missiles will home in on jamming signals. Jamming also causes a -4 penalty to all radar guided weapons.
[ Altarian TM, Bandito Arms TM, Brodkil TM, Chipwell Armaments TM, Coalition States TM, Cyber-Knight TM, Federation of Magic TM, Free Quebec TM, Golden Age Weaponsmiths TM, Iron Heart Armaments TM, Kankoran TM, Kittani TM, Larsen's Brigade TM, M.D.C. TM, Mechanoids TM, Mega-Damage TM, Megaversal Legion TM, Millennium Tree TM, Mutants in Orbit TM, Naruni Enterprises TM, New Navy TM, New Sovietskiy TM, NGR TM, Nog Heng TM, Northern Gun TM, Phase World TM, Psyscape TM, Rifter TM, SAMAS TM, S.D.C. TM, Shemarrian TM, Splugorth TM, Stormspire TM, Sunaj TM, Tolkeen TM, Triax TM, Wellington Industries TM, Wilk's Laser Technologies TM, Xiticix TM, and Zaayr TM are trademarks owned by Kevin Siembieda and Palladium Books Inc. ]
[ Beyond the Supernatural®, Heroes Unlimited®, Nightbane®, Ninjas & Superspies®, Palladium Fantasy®, and Rifts® are registered trademarks owned by Kevin Siembieda and Palladium Books Inc. ]
Image drawn and copyrighted by Mischa (E-Mail Mischa).
He has no art home page at present but many other items on my site.
Initial Concepts by Marina O'Leary (LusankyaN@aol.com ).
Writeup by Kitsune (E-Mail Kitsune).
Copyright © 2002, 2010, & 2011, Kitsune. All rights reserved.