New Sovietskiy T-255 Main Battle Tank:
For years, the leaders of the Soviet army proclaimed that their rebuilt battle tanks were the equal of the new main battle tanks built by other nations. This earned them huge credit with their political masters but was far from the truth. The reality was that with the exception of the T-212UM1 tanks, which was fast becoming second line, were obsolete and in many cases were not even operational as well. For years, Soviet generals tried to persuade their field marshals that their needed a new tank but it was without success. It was not until 2053 that a new tank was authorized. It was not proposed as a replacement for older tanks but instead was proposed as a supplement to convince the political party that the new tank should be built. The first prototype was completed in 2055 and the tank was rushed into production and was already being manufactured by 2057. The existence of the new tank was released to the government controlled Soviet Media in 2055 when the first tank rolled out for testing even though it was still in an early prototype stage. It was hailed by the Soviet media as far superior to all Western main battle tanks designs as propaganda. Western Intelligence designated the tank the T-255 based on information that they had been able to gather. They also made a very serious effort at trying to gather more information on this new tank. Their evaluation was that the new Soviet main battle tank was inferior to the Jackson main battle tank then entering service but it was still an excellent and dangerous design. Lucky for the Soviets, the prototype had few problems and was easy to get prepared for full production. Large numbers of these new tanks were produced and it became the backbone of soviet armor forces. While it was still called a supplement to the large number of rebuilt older designs, it actually replaced many of them. They were later supplemented by Soviet hover tanks but were never taken out of first line service. The tank was not exported in large numbers with the government preferring to export their light tank design and older main battle tank designs. Many of these tanks survived the coming of the Rifts but it was still a tiny fraction of the tanks which were in service. Some wound up in the hands of the Russian Warlords but most of them prefer cyborgs over tanks. Mercenaries have managed to discover several caches of these tanks and some have purchased these tanks from the Warlords as well. The largest number of these main battle tanks are in the hands of the New Sovietskiy and a smaller amount remains in service with the secret soviet base under Antarctica. As well, both Triax and several Polish manufacturing companies produce repair parts and upgrades for the T-255.
One major difference between the T-255 and earlier tank classes is that the power plant is a fusion reactor. This both provided virtually unlimited endurance and allowed for later upgrades to the secondary weaponry to secondary weapons. Top speed on roads is more than 100 kilometers per hour and can travel over all terrain at higher speeds than older tanks. The hull uses high strength composites and can withstand more damage than any previous Soviet tank classes. As well, the composites do not corrode like the metal used in older classes and maintenance is greatly reduced as well. New sensors makes the T-255 even more effective and the tank have full internal life support. In general, systems carried on the tank are similar to those carried on most post Rifts Robot Vehicle. An interesting feature is that the T-255 has a small troop compartment like the ancient Israeli Merkava tank. It soldiers are not being carried, additional ammunition can be carried.
The main gun of the T-255 is a large 152-mm smooth bore cannon. A heavy electro-thermal cannon was being developed but was not ready at the time that the new main battle tank was being developed. When the heavy electro-thermal cannon as ready for service, it was decided that the 152-mm smooth bore cannon would be adequate and remained as the main gun. The cannon was designed to fire special guided projectiles instead of standard shells. These projectiles are similar to medium range missiles but have a shorter range and require more storage space than a standard 152-mm tank projectile. The cannon is fed by an autoloading system but is designed to isolate the crew from the ammunition for an improved crew survival. In addition to the main gun, the tank has a coaxial heavy rail gun and a secondary mount above the main turret which is controlled by the tank's commander. The secondary mount originally mounted a second heavy rail gun but was replaced by a pulse laser similar to the S-500 Cyclone Pulse Laser Rifle. In addition, many troops replaced the secondary mount with an automatic grenade launcher due to being very effective against troops. The top weapon mount is designed to be able to be used against aircraft except for the automatic grenade launcher. Unlike previous tank classes, the T-255 carries medium range missiles and mini-missiles in box launchers. A total of four medium range missiles and sixteen mini-missiles are carried. For defense, the tank carries a special jamming system.
Model Type: T-255
Vehicle Type: Main Battle Tank
Crew: Three (Driver, Gunner, and Commander).
Troop Carrying Capacity: four soldiers in full gear (No cyborgs)
M.D.C. by Location:
| Tractor Treads (2):||100 each|
|152 mm smooth-bore gun:||150|
| 10 mm Co-axial Heavy Rail-Gun (Turret):||50|
|Cupola on Turret:||80|
| 10 mm Commander Heavy Rail-Gun (Cupola - Early Models):||50|
| Commander Pulse Laser Mount (Cupola - Later Models):||40|
| Automatic Grenade Launcher (Replaces Commander Mount):||40|
|Mini-Missile Launchers (2, sides of turret):||30 each|
|Medium Range Missile Launchers (2, sides of hull):||80 each|
|Multi-Option Jammers (2):||25|
| Headlights (2):||10 each|
|Rear Troop / Cargo Door||100|
| Main Body:||550|
 Depleting the M.D.C. of a tread will immobilize the tank until it is replaced. Replacing a tread will take 1D6x10 minutes by a trained crew (2 replacements are carried on board) or three times as long by the inexperienced. Changing the tread is only advisable when the vehicle is not under attack.
 These are small and difficult targets to strike, requiring the attacker to make a "called shot," but even then the attacker is -4 to strike.
 If all the M.D.C. of the main body is depleted, the vehicle is completely shut down and is unsalvageable.
Ground: Maximum speed on land is 65.2 mph (105 kph) on roads and 49.7 mph (80 kph) off road maximum. The vehicle is designed to traverse virtually all terrain and can climb at up to a 60% grade although at a much slower speed (About 10% of maximum road speed). It can also climb barriers and ford trenches. The vehicle can also handle side slopes of up to 30%.
Water Capabilities: Uses tracks to propel tank over the surface of the water but is not designed for deep water use. Using the tracks, the T-255 can travel on the surface of water at 11.2 mph (18 kph/9.7 knots).
Maximum Effective Range: Effectively unlimited (Nuclear Fusion power supply with 5 year duration) Armored Vehicle carries about two weeks worth of supplies emergency rations onboard.
Height: 9.0 feet (2.75 meters) to top of commander's cupola.
Width: 12.5 feet (3.80 meters)
Length: 28.9 feet (8.80 meters) not including gun barrel and 37.7 feet (11.50 meters) with barrel forward
Weight: 73.2 tons (66.4 metric tons).
Power Source: Nuclear fusion reactor; Must be refueled every five years, otherwise effectively unlimited.
Cargo Capacity: Minimal storage space in pilots compartment; about three feet (0.9 m) in side dimensions for extra clothing, weapons, and personal items. Three carbines and one hand-held missile launcher with four loads each are stored in a compartment in the crew compartment. In cargo compartment, up to 1000 lbs (453.6 kg) can be carried instead of troops or ammunition.
Black Market Cost: 11.8 million credits was the production price originally; Remaining tanks sell for double that (23.6 million credits). Many of these tanks remain in service with the New Sovietski and a few are in the hands of Russian Warlords.
- 152 mm Smooth Bore Cannon/Missile Launcher: Main gun of the tank and is mounted in the turret. There was some consideration to replace the 152 mm smoothbore cannon with a powerful electro-thermal cannon but the old cannon was retained. The T-255 has a +2 to strike for the main gun using the laser targeting sight (not for the Anti-Tank Guided Missiles [ATGMs]). The T-255 can also fire the AT-25 ATGW (Anti-Tank Guided Weapon) through the 152 mm gun; Truly a multi-purpose weapon that is considerably effective against enemy armor and robots alike. It is also effective against aircraft in emergency. Plasma rounds are a late pre-Rifts innovation and are rare and expensive. The barrel fired missiles are the equivalent of medium range missiles with half the normal range.
- Co-axial Mounted 10 millimeter GSR-10 Heavy Rail-gun (1): Weapon is Co-axially mounted with the main gun and it fires wherever the main cannon is targeting. The Soviet military was unable to make an effective liquid propellant weapon and instead developed, some say stole, a rail gun design for their existing vehicles. The designers bowed to the armies pressure and it was decided that the light tank would carry a heavy co-axial mount than previous designs.
- Top Weapon Mount (1): The tank has a spindle to mount a weapon on the top of the turret which is normally controlled by the commander of the tank. The weapon is designed for use against troops assaulting the tank and against aircraft. Originally the weapon carried was 10 mm heavy rail gun but was later replaced by a pulse laser. As well, many crews replaced the weapon with a grenade launcher even though this was contrary to official procedure. The mount was designed so that it can be controlled from within the turret so the commander would not be exposed to hostile fire.
- 10 millimeter GSR-10 Heavy Railgun: The Soviet military was unable to make an effective liquid propellant weapon and instead developed, some say stole, a rail gun design for their existing vehicles. The mount was designed so that it can be controlled from within the turret.
- Pulse Laser Mount: Replaces the medium rail-gun in later models and many older models replace the rail gun as well when refitted. The Laser fires four shot bursts and is capable of destroying missiles and inflicting serious damage on aircraft. The weapon is also useful against armor and infantry. Laser is similar to the S-500 Cyclone Pulse Laser Rifle with extended range.
- ATR-50 Automatic Grenade Launcher: Weapon is very similar to the WI-GL21 Automatic Grenade Launcher produced by Wellington Industries and the American Automatic Grenade Launcher operated around the same time but uses a larger grenade and is heavier in design. Weapon was used in vehicles as well as being used in tripod mounts and used by power armors. Weapon can fire single shot or bursts of ten rounds and can inflict heavy damage when burst fired. Unlike the American design, the Soviet automatic grenade launcher only used belts. The tank normally mounted two belts together to increase number of rounds to 400 rounds. It is believed that the Soviets tank crews saw the effectiveness of the M1A5 equipped with this weapon so they decide to replace their heavy machine-gun with this weapon. This mount was never officially mounted on the tank but was very common none-the-less. This weapon became very popular with tank crews and many crews mounted the automatic grenade launcher instead of other weapons.
- Medium-Range Missile Launchers (2): Two medium range missile launchers are mounted on the sides of the main body of the tank. Each mount has two actual missile launch tubes. Both launchers are usually controlled by the gunner, but can be fired by the driver or commander if the gunner is injured. They are usually outfitted with High-Explosive, Fragmentary or Plasma missiles. The launchers can engage air and ground targets.
- Turret Mounted Mini-missile Launcher (2): Mounted on the sides of the tank's turret are mini missile launchers. These launchers are designed for rapid fire use to engage heavy tanks and giant robots. These weapons are designed to be able to destroy enemy vehicles quickly. Smoke warheads are often carried for special purpose uses. Weapon is mainly controlled by the tanks gunner but the pilot and commander also have controls.
- Multi-Option "Shtora-8A" Jammers (2): These are multi-purpose jamming devices designed to stop incoming missiles and confuse an enemy targeting the T-255
Maximum Effective Range: Direct fire range is 8,200 feet (2,500 meters) and can fire indirectly out to 32,800 feet (10,000 meters). For range for missiles, use medium range missiles with half normal range. Most common missile warhead are armor piercing (See revised bomb and missile tables for details.)
Mega-Damage: High Explosive: 2D6x10 with a blast radius of 25 feet (7.6 meters). High Explosive Anti Tank: 3D6x10, blast radius of 10 feet (3.0 meters). Armor Piercing: 3D4x10+10. Armor Piercing Discarding Sabot: 3D6x10. Plasma: 4D6x10+10, blast radius of 30 feet (9.1 meters). Mega-Damage for missiles is as per medium missile type; almost always Armor Piercing (See revised bomb and missile tables for details.)
Rate of Fire: Three times per melee.
Payload: 40 gun rounds; an additional round can be stored, ready to fire, in the main gun. Each special cut down medium range missile takes the space of two standard projectiles. Common load is 24 standard rounds and 8 missiles in magazine. In addition, the troop compartment can hold 40 additional gun rounds if no troops or other cargo is carried. These have to be hand loaded into the turret magazine before being ready to fire but can be done internally.
Bonuses: +2 to strike at all times with cannon shells from the laser sight; No penalties to fire when vehicle is moving. Projectiles have a +4 bonus for long range fire from the Quadrant sight, but only when the vehicle is not moving. No Bonuses for firing the AT-25 missile.
Maximum Effective Range: 4,920 feet (1,500 meters)
Mega Damage: Single shot does 2D4 and 20 round burst does 1D6x10+10
Rate of Fire: Equal to combined hand to hand attacks of gunner
Payload: 2,400 rounds (120 bursts).
Maximum Effective Range: 4,920 feet (1,500 meters)
Mega Damage: Single shot does 2D4 and 20 round burst does 1D6x10+10
Rate of Fire: Equal to combined hand to hand attacks of gunner
Payload: 1,200 rounds (60 bursts).
Maximum Effective Range: 4,000 feet (1,220 meters).
Mega-Damage: 1D6x10 MD for four shot burst.
Rate of Fire: Equal to combined hand to hand attacks of gunner (Commander)
Payload: Effectively unlimited.
Maximum Effective Range: 3,000 feet (914 meters)
Mega-Damage: 3D6 for Fragmentation with a blast area of 12 ft and 5D6 for Armor Piercing with a blast area of 3 ft, burst of 10 rounds does 2D4x10 for Fragmentation with a blast area of 40 ft and 2D6x10 for Armor Piercing with a blast area of 8 ft. Other special rounds are available.
Rate of Fire: Equal to combined hand to hand attacks of gunner (commander) - Single Shot or Ten round bursts.
Payload: 400 Round Double Belt.
Maximum Effective Range: Varies with missile types, medium range missiles only (See revised bomb and missile tables for details.)
Mega-Damage: Varies with missile types, medium range missiles only (See revised bomb and missile tables for details.)
Rate of Fire: Can fire missiles one at a time or in volleys of two (2) missiles.
Payload: 4 missiles, 2 in each launcher.
Maximum Effective Range: Varies with mini-missile type; Usually armor piercing or fragmentation are carried (See revised bomb and missile tables for details.)
Mega Damage: Varies with mini-missile type; Usually armor piercing or fragmentation are carried (See revised bomb and missile tables for details.)
Rate of Fire: Can fire missiles one at a time, or in volleys of two (2) or four (4) missiles.
Payload: Each launcher carries 8 mini-missiles for a total of 16 Mini-missiles.
Effect: Each firing launches two Chaff rockets, two Flare rockets, and the tank begins emitting a large cloud of smoke, both standard and Anti-Laser Prismatic Aerosol; The Chaff rockets detonate and spread Chaff over the area, the flare rockets floating down by parachute; Effects last for one minute (4 Melee rounds.) The Chaff rockets have a 20% chance of interfering with the course of enemy missiles each (40%, total) that are radar guided so that they miss the tank. The flares have the same percentages, except with IR-guided missiles. The Anti-Laser prismatic aerosol reduces damage by half for any laser beam striking the tank (With the exception of X-ray lasers but not variable frequency lasers; X-Ray lasers suffer no damage modifiers, and variable frequency lasers simply cannot compensate for the variables involved), and adds a +4 difficulty to targeting the tank with a laser guidance system or visually.
Rate of Fire: Usually once every four melee rounds; Effects are not cumulative.
Maximum Effective Range: Around the tank only; Rough distance of 80 ft (24 m) around tank.
Payload: Sufficient for twelve firings; One of each type of jamming option from each side of the vehicle.
The tank carries all standard equipment of a robot vehicle plus this special equipment:
- Anti-Aircraft Radar: Range of 10 miles (16 km); Capable of tracking up to 10 targets simultaneously, this radar serves to guide the 5 mm Rail-gun / Pulse Laser in engaging aircraft (+2 to targeting aircraft and missiles with the weapon), and providing early warning of incoming aircraft and missile attacks; The radar can be programmed to shut off immediately if it detects an aircraft firing a missile, incase the missile is a radar-homing HARM type. The radar is highly ineffective against ground targets (-60% to sensor rolls.)
- Quadrant sight for long-range targeting of Sabot rounds: +4 to firing the long-range Sabot rounds only, when the vehicle is not moving.
- Data-interlink transmitters: For using targeting data from scout vehicles for firing the Anti-Tank missiles or Sabot rounds. Bonus varies on the quality of the data being provided, but all data would allow the tank to fire over obstacles if the scout vehicle is in the right position. The normal effective battlefield range is 5 miles (8 km).
- Full Infrared viewing mode: Range of 2 miles (3.2 km), with IR searchlight (+3 to detecting targets with IR when in use, however, +3 to detecting the T-255 with IR equipment when in use, as well.).
- Two Periscopes: Has up to x100 magnification for commander and driver to view out of while maneuvering the vehicle. Visual targeting sight with same magnification possible for gunner.
- Laser targeting system: For main gun, range of 2,000 meters.
[ Altarian TM, Bandito Arms TM, Brodkil TM, Chipwell Armaments TM, Coalition States TM, Cyber-Knight TM, Federation of Magic TM, Free Quebec TM, Golden Age Weaponsmiths TM, Iron Heart Armaments TM, Kankoran TM, Kittani TM, Larsen's Brigade TM, M.D.C. TM, Mechanoids TM, Mega-Damage TM, Megaversal Legion TM, Millennium Tree TM, Mutants in Orbit TM, Naruni Enterprises TM, New Navy TM, New Sovietskiy TM, NGR TM, Nog Heng TM, Northern Gun TM, Phase World TM, Psyscape TM, Rifter TM, SAMAS TM, S.D.C. TM, Shemarrian TM, Splugorth TM, Stormspire TM, Sunaj TM, Tolkeen TM, Triax TM, Wellington Industries TM, Wilk's Laser Technologies TM, Xiticix TM, and Zaayr TM are trademarks owned by Kevin Siembieda and Palladium Books Inc. ]
[ Beyond the Supernatural®, Heroes Unlimited®, Nightbane®, Ninjas & Superspies®, Palladium Fantasy®, and Rifts® are registered trademarks owned by Kevin Siembieda and Palladium Books Inc. ]
Vehicle Drawing is drawn and copyrighted by Kitsune (E-Mail Kitsune).
Initial Concepts by Marina O'Leary (LusankyaN@aol.com ).
Writeup by Kitsune (E-Mail Kitsune).
Copyright © 2000, 2003, & 2009, Kitsune. All rights reserved.