New Sovietskiy Tashkent class Modular Fast Attack Craft:
This craft was one of the newer Soviet vessel classes constructed before the coming of the rifts and is incredibly fact, well armed, and is designed with modular weapon systems. The changing of the modular systems allowed for the ship to be used for either anti-ship or anti-submarine warfare. This ship was designed to replace both previous patrol craft classes, such as the Tarantula and Bora classes, and light frigate classes like the Grisha class light frigate. Like some of the larger designs, some of the older corvette and patrol were refitted with mega-damage alloys and composites as a stopgap solution but new vessels would be a much better permanent solution. Even though refitting the old vessels would be cheaper, maintenance would be less on a new design and would be quite a bit stronger.
The design was one of the new designs which was begun in the reconstruction of the Soviet Military and was the first of the light Soviet Naval designs. Construction was begun after the Novik but the first ship of the class was completed before the destroyer design. At the same time, the Soviet navy was working on a variety of other designs and the vessels share many similar systems. These included cruiser, submarine, carrier, and amphibious vessel designs. Almost three hundred Tashkent modular fast attack craft were built and in many ways were the backbone of the Soviet Navy. The NATO designation for the vessel was "Blade Runner" when first observed. The vessels can operate in deep ocean and are capable of operating in many rivers. They were used for independent patrol work as well as escort duties. These vessels often filled the same role as American Coast Guard Cutters. Due to the large number built, some of these vessels survived into the coming of the Rifts and are operated by the Warlords. New German Republic intelligence believes that between twenty and thirty of these vessels are operational.
The basic hull design of the vessel is conventional but unlike most Soviet naval designs incorporated stealth features into the hull and superstructure. The prototype and the first few flights of the vessel used Gas Turbine engines. Later vessels in the class were completed with fusion turbines and earlier vessels were refitted with the new engines. A new feature was an over-boost which allows the vessel to operate at almost sixty knots but the system overheats and normal speed is limited to a bit over forty knots. There was an attempt to develop a small single array phased array system but a more conventional radar system was carried instead due to development problems. The mini phased array system was planned to be back-fitted into the vessels but was never done. The main gun of the vessel is a 100 mm cannon with a special recoil system. The gun is useful against both air targets and surface targets. Most larger vessels carried a 152 mm cannon but the 100 mm cannon was the largest which could be carried in all practicality. The vessel has medium range missile launchers aft for use against both surface targets and air targets. The launchers are a modified version of earlier launchers and the same weapon system was later adopted for the Novik class when the French Sylver missile launching system was never delivered. A total of thirty-two medium range missiles are carried. Initially, an updated version of the CADS-N-1 Close In Weapon was carried with one mount forward and one mount aft. These weapons were replaced by a more updated system that replaces the auto-cannon with a pulse laser system. The vessel carries a short range interceptor torpedo system on the fantail behind the medium range missile launchers. The payload is less than it is in larger Soviet vessels but is otherwise the same. Of course, the most important feature of the vessel the ability to mount modular weapon systems. Available mounts include long range missile launchers and torpedo tubes. Long range missiles are carried for ground and surface attack roles. A common tactic is to run at high speed against surface vessels, fire missiles, and then run away at high speed. Torpedo tubes are normally carried for anti-submarine roles.
The vessel is designed to be able to operate with a very small crew. While the vessel was designed for a crew of thirty six, it can be operated with a crew of twenty. The vessel was not designed to carry troops but often several troops are carried for customs roles. In some case, these troops will be light Cyborgs. Occasional, up to four Heavy Cyborgs are carried outside. The corridors of the ship are not large enough for Heavy Cyborgs to enter the craft. The vessel carries no embarked aircraft and does not have a helicopter deck.
Model Type: Model 2.3435, NATO designation "Bladerunner"
Class Name: Tashkent class.
Class: Modular Fast Attack Craft.
Crew: 36; 6 officers, 30 petty officers and enlisted crew members (Has a high degree of automation and can be run effectively by 20 crew members)
Troops: 8 troops for shipboard defense / boarding ((Including Partial Conversions and Light Cyborgs / Not often carried). Can carry up to four Heavy Cyborgs on the outside of the vessel
Vehicle Compliment: None.
M.D.C. by Location:
|Single 100 mm / 70 cal AK-100 Gun System (1, forward):||120|
|CADS-N-6 Combination Anti-Missile Defense Systems (2):||225 each|
|Octuple Medium Range Vertical Launch System (4, forward):||125 each|
|Killer Dart "Interceptor" Torpedo Launcher (1, aft):||80|
|Octuple Long Range Vertical Launch Systems (2, sides - optional):||150 each|
|Twin mount torpedo launchers (2, sides - optional):||100 each|
| MR-1050 Stiletto Blade Radar System:||80|
|Chaff Launchers (2, sides of superstructure):||10 each|
|Bridge / Superstructure:||350|
| Main Body:||950|
 Destroying the Stiletto Blade radar system will eliminate the ship’s long range air search ability but weapon systems have backup fire control systems.
 Destroying the main body destroys propulsion and power systems, disabling the ship. The ship is fitted with an advanced polymer armors that allow the ship to withstand up to -100 M.D.C. before losing structural integrity and sinking. There are enough life preservers and inflatable life boats to accommodate everyone on the ship.
On Water: Maximum cruise is 41.4 mph (36 knots /66.7 kph) which can be sustained indefinitely, can travel at 48.3 mph (42 knots / 77.8 kph) for 12 hours before engine overheat, and can travel at a maximum of 66.7 mph (58 knots / 107.4 kph) for 2 hours before engine overheat.
Maximum Effective Range: Unlimited due to fusion engines (needs to refuel every 5 years and requires maintenance as well). Ship carries two weeks of supplies on board.
Draft: 13.2 feet (4 meters)
Width: 39.6 feet (12 meters)
Length: 211.2 feet (64 meters)
Displacement: 898 tons standard displacement, 1,105 tons displacement with full load, and 1,380 tons maximum displacement.
Cargo: Can carry 20 tons of extraneous cargo. Each enlisted crew member has a small locker for personal items and uniforms. Ships officers have some more space for personal items. Most of the ship’s spaces are taken up by extra ammo, armor, troops, weapons, and engines.
Power System: 2 Mini Nuclear Fusion Reactors, average life span is 10 years. If engines are often pushed to maximum speed, duration is halved.
Market Price: 150-275 million credits on the black market for an intact model.
- Single Barrel 100 mm / 70 cal AK-100 Gun System (1): Old weapon system but very effective with new ammunition types. The turret has a 360 degree rotation and can elevate up to 85 degrees as well as depress 5 degrees. The gun fire rapidly at the rate of 50 rounds per minute and is radar directed. Weapon inflicts large amounts of damage when rapidly fire. The weapon is useful on land, surface, and air targets. Plasma rounds are a late pre-Rifts innovation and are rare and expensive.
- Kashstan CADS-N-6 CIWS Systems (2): Combination Anti-Missile Defense Systems which combines both a rapid fire laser and a short range missile launchers. On is mounted on the forward and aft parts of the vessel's superstructure. While mounted in one system, both defense systems have separate tracking systems. Short range missiles are designed to be able to track and target multiple missiles simultaneously. Laser system fires four shot bursts and is capable of destroying missiles and inflicting serious damage on aircraft. Laser is similar to the S-500 Cyclone Pulse Laser Rifle with extended range. System can be targeted against surface targets and ground targets.
- Medium Range Octuple Vertical Launch System (4): These launchers are mounted on the aft part of the vessel. These launchers are modified versions of previous medium range vertical launch missile systems. Normal role for the missiles is to act as medium defense of the vessel. They can launch on either ground, surface, or air targets. The launchers can launch at multiple targets simultaneously.
- Killer Dart "Interceptor" Short Range Torpedo Launcher (1): The launcher is mounted on the forward superstructure of the vessel. These so called "Killer Darts" are a Russian interceptor torpedo, designed primarily for intercepting and hitting incoming torpedoes, with a secondary function against small submersibles and submersible power armors. They mount in a similar position to the ASW Rail launchers carries on late Twentieth Century Soviet vessels. American and European designed prefer to fire interceptor torpedoes from their standard torpedo tubes. Launcher is primarily designed to intercept incoming torpedoes but can be used against other vessels, against large submarines, and against underwater troops. Other torpedoes can be used but are very rarely used.
- Modular Weapon System Mounts: The Fast Attack Craft can mount one of these weapons systems on either side of the hull near the middle of the ship. Both weapon's mounts must be of the same type due to fire control and system compatibility.
- Two (2) Twin Torpedo Launchers: Mainly design for anti-submarine warfare but can be used against surface targets. There is one launcher on each side of the ship with two tubes each. The tubes have been modified to use an automatic reloading system and can be fired quickly. These are modern, variable option torpedoes that are about 25% faster than the latest US designs of the time period. These torpedoes are also slightly larger than the standard US torpedo launchers. (These torpedoes are considered the equivalent of smart missiles and have advanced tracking and avoidance systems that give them a +5 to strike, +3 to dodge, and 2 attacks per melee until they strike their target or run out of fuel.)
- Long Range Octuple Vertical Launch System (2): These launchers are mounted on the sides of the vessel. These launchers are modified versions of previous long range vertical launch missile systems. Missiles are designed for long range defense and against surface targets. They can launch on either ground, surface, or air targets. The launchers can launch at multiple targets simultaneously.
- Chaff Launcher (2): Located on the superstructure of the ship, they are designed to confuse incoming missiles. Both launchers must be operational for the full effects. Reduce effects of launchers by 50% per launcher not used or disabled. Rifts Earth decoys systems are assumed to not operate on Phase World missiles due to technological difference. Reduce effects by 20% against smart missiles (Add +20% to rolls for smart missiles.)
Maximum Effective Range: 8.1 miles (13 km)
Mega-Damage: High Explosive: 1D4x10+10 M.D.C. with 12 ft (3.7 m) blast radius per single shot and 3D4x10+30 M.D.C. with 25 ft (7.6 m) blast radius for three round burst. High Explosive Armor Piercing: 1D6x10+10 M.D.C. with 5 ft (1.5 m) blast radius per single shot and 3D6x10+30 M.D.C. with 10 ft (3 m) blast radius for three round burst. Plasma: 2D6x10 M.D.C. with 15 ft (4.6 m) blast radius per single shot and 6D6x10 M.D.C. with 30 ft (9.1 m) blast radius for three round burst.
Rate of Fire: Up to four single shots or bursts per melee.
Payload: 200 rounds total.
Maximum Effective Range: Laser Cannons: Maximum Effective Range: 4,000 feet (1,220 meters). Short Range Missiles: As per short range missile type (See revised bomb and missile tables for details.)
Mega Damage: Laser Cannons: 1D6x10 MD for four shot burst. Short Range Missiles: As per short range missile type (Usually fragmentation) (See revised bomb and missile tables for details.)
Rate of Fire: Laser Cannons: 6 attacks per melee. (+2 to strike aircraft; +3 to strike missiles.) Short Range Missiles: One at a time or in volleys of 2, 3, or 4 per launcher. Can fire up to six times per melee in place of gun fire.
Payload: Laser Cannons: Effectively unlimited. Short Range Missiles: 32 short range missiles per mount.
Maximum Effective Range: Varies with medium range missile type (See revised bomb and missile tables for details.)
Mega-Damage: Varies with medium range missile type (See revised bomb and missile tables for details.)
Rate of Fire: Can fire missiles one at a time or in volleys of any amount up to eight (8) missiles total in any combination and at multiple targets at the same time.
Payload: 32 medium range missiles total (8 missiles per launcher)
Maximum Effective Range: 2000 feet (609.6 meters) using interceptor torpedoes, other torpedoes use standard rules (See revised Rifts torpedoes for details.)
Mega-Damage: By Short Range Torpedo Type (See revised Rifts torpedoes for details.)
Rate of Fire: Each launcher can fire salvos of up to eight (8) short range interceptor torpedoes per melee.
Payload: 48 Interceptor Torpedoes.
Maximum Effective Range: 40 miles (64 km), Rocket boosted torpedoes can also be fired from launcher (See revised Rifts torpedoes for details.)
Mega Damage: By Heavy torpedo warhead type (See revised Rifts torpedoes for details), Rocket boosted torpedoes can also be fired from launcher (See revised Rifts torpedoes for details.)
Rate of Fire: Can fire torpedoes one at a time or in volleys of two (2) torpedoes per side. Reloading tubes takes 1 full melee
Payload: 2 torpedoes/ missiles each launcher for a grand total of 4 torpedoes/missiles (Has 8 torpedoes/missiles for reloads)
Maximum Effective Range: Varies with long range missile type (See revised Rifts torpedoes for details.)
Mega-Damage: Varies with long range missile type (See revised Rifts torpedoes for details.)
Rate of Fire: Can fire missiles one at a time or in volleys of any amount up to four (4) missiles total in any combination and at multiple targets at the same time.
Payload: 16 long range missiles total (8 missiles per launcher)
Maximum Effective Range: Around Ship
Mega Damage: None
- 01-35 - Enemy missile or missile volley detonates in chaff cloud - Missiles are all destroyed.
36-60 - Enemy missile or missile volley loses track of real target and veers away in wrong direction (May lock onto another target.)
61-00 - No effect, enemy missile or missile volley is still on target.
The ship has all systems standard on a robot vehicle plus the following special features:
- MR-1050 Stiletto Blade; 3-D Air Search Radar System: Primary long range air search radar system of the ship and is loosely based on the much older and larger MR-760 radar system but has a similar performance. Radar system has a range of 200 nautical miles (230.2 miles / 370.4 km). Radar system can track up to 64 targets simultaneously.
- Advanced Bow Sonar: While not as powerful as system on larger vessels, it is still very effective. Sonar system has a range of around 16 nautical miles (18.4 miles / 29.6 km). This hull sonar system has both a passive and active system built in. Sonar system can track up to 16 targets at one time
- Radar Defeating Profile & Radar Absorbing Materials: The ship superstructure is designed so that the radar profile of the ship is reduced and the ship is covered with radar absorbing materials. Because of this, attempts to detect the ship using radar are made with a -10% penalty to read sensor rolls when attempting to detect this ship. Go to General Detection Penalties for more information on penalties and bonuses to use with stealth.
- Combination Radar Detectors and Active Jamming System: Combination of radar detection system (ESM) and an active jamming system. The system can detect another radar system at 125% of the range of the transmitting radar. In jamming mode, causes -25% to detection but when it is active, other vehicles/ bases can detect that it is jamming, and some missiles will home in on jamming signals. Jamming also causes a -4 penalty to all radar guided weapons.
[ Altarian TM, Bandito Arms TM, Brodkil TM, Chipwell Armaments TM, Coalition States TM, Cyber-Knight TM, Federation of Magic TM, Free Quebec TM, Golden Age Weaponsmiths TM, Iron Heart Armaments TM, Kankoran TM, Kittani TM, Larsen's Brigade TM, M.D.C. TM, Mechanoids TM, Mega-Damage TM, Megaversal Legion TM, Millennium Tree TM, Mutants in Orbit TM, Naruni Enterprises TM, New Navy TM, New Sovietskiy TM, NGR TM, Nog Heng TM, Northern Gun TM, Phase World TM, Psyscape TM, Rifter TM, SAMAS TM, S.D.C. TM, Shemarrian TM, Splugorth TM, Stormspire TM, Sunaj TM, Tolkeen TM, Triax TM, Wellington Industries TM, Wilk's Laser Technologies TM, Xiticix TM, and Zaayr TM are trademarks owned by Kevin Siembieda and Palladium Books Inc. ]
[ Beyond the Supernatural®, Heroes Unlimited®, Nightbane®, Ninjas & Superspies®, Palladium Fantasy®, and Rifts® are registered trademarks owned by Kevin Siembieda and Palladium Books Inc. ]
Vessel Drawing is drawn and copyrighted by Kitsune (E-Mail Kitsune).
Copyright © 2000, 2001, 2002, & 2003, Marina O'Leary & Kitsune. All rights reserved.