U.S. CVN-87 Ticonderoga Submersible Carrier:
It is true, the USS Ticonderoga was the most advanced warship on Earth, prior to the appearance of the Rifts. The problem was that even information given to individuals authorized to know about class often had many misconceptions. This is partially due to the extreme secrecy it was built under. The vessel is mainly an aircraft carrier although it does carry a surprisingly large number of troops. Most amphibious roles were carried out by surface vessels. The vessels had advanced stealth systems but did not have any special cloaking device. The reality was that the Ticonderoga was relatively easy to detect due to its huge size. The size of the Ticonderoga meant that it needed every advanced stealth feature available to make it not instantly detectable. The carrier was also very expensive to construct which Congress decided to authorize surface "Stealth" carriers instead of authorizing more submersible carriers. Most of the stories that surround the survival of the vessel are mostly correct but much of the information about the features of the vessel are not.
Instead of being designed like a conventional aircraft carrier, the Ticonderoga used a novel design idea. Putting a superstructure to one side of the vessel would completely unbalance it while operating underwater. The only two options is to build the vessel with a retractable superstructure or build the vessel with two flight decks and a central superstructure. The New German Republic chose to use a retractable superstructure. Instead of a retractable superstructure, which some original design ideas of the Ticonderoga used, the American carrier is built much like you would expect two carriers (one a mirror image of the other) combined in the middle. The vessel has two flight decks with one on either side of the vessel. The superstructure of the vessel is in the middle of the vessel and most weapon systems are mounted on the super structure. Behind the superstructure are the elevators to the main hanger. The vessel has a rounded bow much like most submarines. The whole design is streamlined to reduce drag.
The Ticonderoga is extremely heavily armed. The reason behind this was because the vessel was expected to operate more independent than surface carriers. It was expected that the ship would have only a few submarines as escort. All weapon systems are either fully flush with the deck or are in retractable mounts. The vessel has two heavy Ion pulse cannons with one mounted forward of main superstructure and the other aft of the main superstructure. Located on the sides of the superstructure are six laser CIWS mounts. These are designed to be able to be used underwater as well as on the surface and are useful against torpedoes although at a reduced range underwater. In the front and rear of the vessel are four torpedo tubes. The vessel is so large is was decided that it would need aft firing torpedo tubes as well as forward firing tubes. The vessel has cruise missile launchers in the bow behind the torpedo tubes. It was expected that these would be used against defenses before fighters arrived over their targets. Mounted on either side of the hull are two counter missile launchers which fire medium range missiles.
Much discussion has been centered around the stealth field system the vessel is suppose to carry. In fact, no such system exists. Instead the vessel used mostly conventional means of quieting the vessel including using rubber sonar absorbing layers. What is interesting is that the United States copied a feature of the British Upholder class submarine in using a gel coating to reduce the noise of the vessel. It is unknown if the United States developed a similar design on their own, stole it, or got permission from the British developers. The facts behind that have been lost in time and no one in the New Navy knows.
The Ticonderoga is far larger than any previous carrier class and carries a huge number of aircraft. Aircraft include the Sea Hawk fighters, Manta-Ray submersible fighters, and a large number of support aircraft. A total of over 200 aircraft are carried. The flight deck is designed so old style aircraft requiring catapults can be operated off the flight deck as well. The Manta-Ray submersible fighters can be launched while the vessel is underwater using a special airlock system. As many as sixteen Manta-Rays can be launched per minute in this fashion. In addition to aircraft, the Ticonderoga carries power armors, ground troops, and a number of armored vehicles. While underwater, the vessel can launch as many as forty power armors per minute.
Like most carriers, the Ticonderoga carries an advanced hospital to support troops in the field. The medical facilities include multiple operating rooms and a large number of medical beds. The only item lacking are facilities for advanced bionics and cybernetics. In addition to medical facilities, the ship has extensive repair facilities. These include repair facilities for aircraft, power armors, and personal equipment.
The vessel is designed to be able to operate as a flagship so was designed with advanced communication gear and support systems. The vessel was designed to operate independently for long periods of time and has comfortable crew quarters and has excellent recreation facilities. While the recreation is not as luxurious as some sources indicate, the crew quarters were the best ever fitted to a United States Navy vessel. These include six man staterooms for enlisted personnel and extensive entertainment and recreation facilities. Facilities include multiple exercise rooms, video entertainment systems, and a surprisingly extensive library. The facilities have served the New Navy well with the Ticonderoga having to operate without break for far longer periods than the vessel was ever intended to.
Model Type: CVN-87
Class: Submersible Air-Sea-Land Carrier
Crew: Ships Crew: 2200 (180 officers, 190 chief petty officers, 1720 enlisted [Has a high degree of automation])
Air Wing: 1370 (500 Pilots, 120 flight deck officers, 750 enlisted)
Troop Capacity: 800 pilots for Semper Fi Power Armors, 550 vehicle crew members, and 3,000 soldiers. Can accommodate another 800 people comfortably, more than that causes cramped and stressful conditions.
Robots, Power Armors, and Vehicles:
|640||Semper Fi Power Armors (With Flight Packs)|
|72||Manta-Ray Submarines / Jet Fighters|
|8||EV-84A General Cargo / Search and Rescue|
|8||EVS-84A Anti-Submarine Warfare|
|8||EVE-84A Electronics Warfare|
|56||FV-45 Sea Hawk VTOL Jet Fighters|
|12||FV-45-SW Sea Hawk VTOL Jet Stealth Fighters|
|6||FV-45-EW Sea Hawk VTOL Jet Jamming Fighters|
|24||AH-75 Striker Attack Helicopter|
|10||Utility Tilt Rotors|
|4||LCAC-854 "Crab" Air Cushion Landing Craft|
|6||LSS-22 "Guppy" Seal Infiltration Submersible|
|72||AMBT-12x Merovingian Amphibious Tanks|
|60||MIFV-99 Iwo-Jima Combat Troop Transports|
M.D.C. by Location:
|Laser CIWS Turrets (6, Sides of Superstructure):||150 each|
|Torpedo Tubes (4; 4 in front, 4 in back):||800 each|
|Ion Pulse Cannons (2, Superstructure):||500 each|
|Cruise Missile Batteries (8, Front):||600 each|
|Counter-Missile Batteries (4, Sides):||400 each|
|Hull per 40 ft (12.2 m) area:||80|
| Flight Decks (2, Sides):||5,000 each|
| Elevators (6):||400 each|
| Main Sensors and Communication Tower||480|
| Secondary Sensor/Comm Arrays (3)||210 each|
| Main Body||20,000|
 If the flight decks are destroyed, only VTOL aircraft can be launched or land. VTOL aircraft are at -15% to piloting rolls when taking off and landing.
 If all six elevators are destroyed, no aircraft can be moved from the hangers to the main flight deck.
 Destroying the superstructure will not reduce vessel's performance due to main bridge being inside of the main hull of the vessel. However, destroying the superstructure will reduce flight operations.
 Destroying the Main Sensors Communication Tower will destroy long range radar and communications. Vessel has backup systems equal to that of robot vehicles. As well, sonar systems are mounted in hull and are not effected.
 Depleting the M.D.C. of the main body destroys the ship's structural integrity, causing it to sink. There are enough life preservers and inflatable life boats to accommodate everyone on the ship. If the vessel sinks below two and a half miles (4 km), the pressure will crush it, killing everyone inside - no survivors!
Driving on the ground: Not possible.
Flying: Not possible.
Water Surface: 35 knots (40.3 mph/64.8 kph)
Underwater: 35 knots (40.3 mph/64.8 kph)
Maximum Effective Range: Can stay underwater for 24 months before needing to resurface. Vessel has advanced air scrubbing systems and power systems release oxygen from the water.
Maximum Depth: 2.5 miles (4 km)
Height: 200 feet (61 meters)
Width: 400 feet (122 meters)
Length: 2,000 feet (610 meters)
Weight: 520,000 tons fully loaded.
Cargo: In addition to two battalions of armor and mechanized infantry, a brigade of regular infantry, and its aircraft squadron and ammo and equipment, the Ticonderoga can carry an additional 18,000 tons of extraneous cargo. Crew members and passengers have a locker (4x4x4 feet/1.2 m) for personal effects.
Power System: Nuclear; average energy life 25 years (engine has been replaced no less than 10 times)
Market Cost: Atlantis, the Coalition States or Triax would pay billions to anyone who captured this ship relatively intact.
- Ion Pulse Cannons (2): One of the most powerful energy weapons developed on Rifts Earth. These heavy ion cannons can fire underwater against ships, submarines, and ground targets. One is mounted on the forward part of superstructure and the other is mounted on the aft section of the superstructure. The mounts can be fully retracted to reduce vessel's drag. The mounts can rotate 180 degrees and have a 60 degree arc of fire.
- Laser CIWS Turrets (6): Mounted on the sides of the ship's superstructure and are fully retractable. These Close-In Weapon Systems rapid-pulse lasers design to be primarily against missiles or low-flying aircraft. The weapons are automated and track missiles with radar sensors (+3 to strike missiles, +2 to strike aircraft). While the ship is underwater, the weapon system can be used against torpedoes although weapon has a reduced range. The mounts have the ability to rotate 360 degrees and have a 90 degree arc of fire.
- Heavy Torpedo Tubes (8): The ship is designed to carry torpedoes as its main offensive weapon except for aircraft. While smaller torpedoes can be fitted as well, the New Navy mostly carries heavy torpedoes that inflict maximum damage. Four torpedo tubes are mounted in the front of the sub and four torpedo tubes are mounted in the rear of the sub.
- Cruise Missile Batteries (8): A powerful but limited missile systems. Cruise missiles have minuses to hit small targets and the ship cannot carry a very large number of them. Long range missiles can also almost get the same effect for damage as cruise missiles, making them not as useful as they once were. System can target more than one target at the same time.
- Counter-Missile Batteries (4): These launchers are mounted on the sides of the hull. Each launcher has eight cells which are at a six degree angle. The missiles will clear the sides of the flight deck so that they do not hit the flight deck. Launchers automatically reload once missiles are fired. These missile turrets fire volleys of medium-range missiles. They are designed to engage and destroy incoming missile attacks, but are also useful against aircraft, flying monsters and ground and surface targets. These launchers act as the ships middle point defense and are normally used to engage incoming air targets and missiles. Outer point defense is performed by the air compliment or escorting vessels.
- Advanced Decoys (8): The submarine carries eight advanced decoy drones. They are a small automated vehicles that creates a false sonar image designed to mimic the submarine's sonar signature. It has a small propulsion system that can simulate movement (has a top speed of 10 knots) and maneuvers. If decoys are not destroyed, they can be recovered and repaired. Rifts Earth decoy systems are assumed to not operate against Phase World weapons due to technological difference.
- Noisemakers: The submarine carries noisemakers to decoy torpedoes. These noisemakers are similar to those used by Coalition submarines. The noisemakers are launched from the middle of the submarine.
- Gel Coating: The submarine could form a Gel coating around itself by running a low powered electric current through its hull and releasing a set of chemicals into the water surrounding it. Under the influence of the electric current the chemicals bonded with the seawater, forming a thick gel that clung evenly to the hull. This coating absorbed both in and outgoing noise, which made the sub virtually impossible to detect by both passive and active sonar.
Maximum Effective Range: In Atmosphere: 8 miles (12.8 km) Under Water: 2 miles (3.2 km)
Mega-Damage: 1D4x100 M.D. per blast.
Rate of Fire: 2 shots per cannon per melee
Payload: Effectively unlimited.
Maximum Effective Range: In Atmosphere: 4,000 feet (1,220 meters) Under Water: 2,000 feet (610 meters)
Mega-Damage: 1D4x10 M.D.
Rate of Fire: Each turret has 6 attacks per melee round.
Payload: Effectively unlimited.
Maximum Effective Range: 40 miles (64 km)
Mega-Damage: By Heavy torpedo warhead type (See Revised Rifts Torpedoes).
Rate of Fire: Each tube can fire once per melee round
Payload: 128 total: The New Navy's subs normally carry only the heaviest warheads available.
Maximum Effective Range: As per cruise missile type (Go to Revised bomb and missile table).
Mega Damage: As per cruise missile type (Go to Revised bomb and missile table).
Rate of Fire: One at a time or in Volleys of 2, 3, 4, or per melee.
Payload: 32 total; 4 per launcher.
Maximum Effective Range: As per medium range missile type (Go to Revised bomb and missile table).
Mega Damage: As per medium range missile type (Go to Revised bomb and missile table).
Rate of Fire: One at a time or in volleys of two, four, or eight (Each launcher operates independently)
Payload: 8 missiles in each launcher, with 56 missiles in each magazine for automatic reloads, for a total of 256 Medium Range Missiles including missiles in launcher.
Effects: The decoy has an 80% chance of fooling ordinary non military sonars and non smart guided torpedoes, the decoy has a 50% chance of fooling military level sonars (like those of the Coalition), and the decoy has a 25% chance of fooling advanced military sonars (Like those of the New Navy and Triax) and smart torpedoes.
Decoys have a duration of 30 minutes (120 melee rounds)
Maximum Effective Range: Not Applicable
Rate of Fire: Ship can launch one drone per melee.
Payload: 24 Decoys
Effect: 50% of decoying normal torpedoes and 20% of decoying smart torpedoes.
Rate of Fire: 8 at a time (Can be reloaded in one melee)
Payload: 80 Noisemakers
The drawback was that the gel would slough off if the sub exceeded 15 knots of speed, and that the sub only had a limited supply of the gelating chemicals aboard. In order to listen past the coating the sub reeled out a towed sonar array through the gel layer.
Effects: The gel layer absorbs, deadens and distorts all sounds from and to the submarine. The sub is -30% to detect (comes in addition to other penalties).
In addition to that, if detected there is a 20% chance that the sub will be mistaken for a large school of fish or a whale due to the gel layer having a density much like flesh or whale blubber.
Gel layer has a duration of 4 days(!) at speeds below 15 knots. Above 15 knots the layer peels off in 3 melees, negating its effects.
Maximum Effective Range: Not Applicable
Rate of Fire: Sub can form a new gel layer in eight melees, but must be at a speed of 5 knots or lower!.
Payload: 6 applications
The submersible carrier has all systems standard on a robot vehicle plus the following special features:
- Enhanced Radar: Can identify and simultaneously track up to 364 different targets. Range: 500 miles (800 km).
- Advanced Hull Sonar System: Range of 80 miles (69.5 nautical miles / 128.7 km). This hull sonar system has both a passive and active system built in. Sonar system can track up to 32 targets at one time and has a +10% to read sensor and weapon system skill rolls. Sonar also has built in communication system and sound pulse system to detect obstacles, objects, vessels and fish (schools and large animals), as well as measure distances and depth.
- Advanced Towed Array Sonar: The system is basically a long and very sensitive sonar system carried behind the submarine on a long cable. Range of 250 miles (217.2 nautical miles / 402.3 km). This is an incredibly sensitive and is as powerful as the special purpose pre-rifts SURTASS system. This towed array sonar system has both a passive and active system built in. Sonar system can track up to 64 targets at one time.
- ESM: This system is mounted in mounted in the superstructure and is extended in a similar manner to a periscope. The antenna is very hard to detect both visually and by radar. Can detect another radar system at 125% of the range of the transmitting radar.
- Command and Control Facilities: The carrier carries extra communications equipment and command facilities, to enable the ship to operate as the flagship for a flotilla. When operating in a flotilla, all ships get a +1 on sensor rolls, +1 to strike on all weapons, and +10% on communications.
- Quieted propulsion and Anechoic Coating: The ship is designed with a very quiet propeller design, the submarine's reactors make very little noise, and the ship is coated by a sonar defeating rubber coating. Without these features the submersible carrier would be very easy to detect and most of the special features are designed to prevent bonuses to detecting the vessel. The submarine is -20% to detect when traveling at less that 15 knots and is at no penalties to detect when traveling at speeds greater than that. These penalties are increased when the Gel Coating is used.
[ Altarian TM, Bandito Arms TM, Chipwell Armaments TM, Coalition States TM, Cyber-Knight TM, Federation of Magic TM, Free Quebec TM, Golden Age Weaponsmiths TM, Iron Heart Armaments TM, Kittani TM, Larsen's Brigade TM, Mechanoids TM, Mega-Damage TM, Megaversal Legion TM, Millennium Tree TM, Mutants in Orbit TM, Naruni Enterprises TM, New Navy TM, New Sovietskiy TM, NGR TM, Northern Gun TM, Phase World TM, Psyscape TM, Rifter TM, SAMAS TM, S.D.C. TM, Shemarrian TM, Splugorth TM, Stormspire TM, Sunaj TM, Tolkeen TM, Triax TM, Wellington Industries TM, Wilk's Laser Technologies TM, and Xiticix TM are trademarks owned by Kevin Siembieda and Palladium Books Inc. ]
[ Beyond the Supernatural®, Heroes Unlimited®, Nightbane®, Ninjas & Superspies®, Palladium Fantasy®, and Rifts® are registered trademarks owned by Kevin Siembieda and Palladium Books Inc. ]
Mischa has no art home Page at present but many other items on my site.
Writeup by Kitsune (E-Mail Kitsune).
Copyright © 2002 Kitsune. All rights reserved.