Valkyrie class Sea Control Ship:
This ship design was co-developed by the Countries of Germany, Spain, and The Netherlands during the 2040 time frame. Unlike a previous frigate class that the Nations had co-operated on, the designs produced by the three countries were virtually identical. Other than Spain, none of the nations had recent carrier experience but there was a perceived need for a vessel that could perform large scale anti-submarine warfare and yet able to defend itself. It was decided that the ship should be able to carry fighters as well as helicopters so a full sized flight deck was decided on. It was found that the carrier was useful for not only anti-submarine warfare and convoy escort, it was found that they could be used to support assault landings as well. Germany constructed four of these carriers and Spain and The Netherlands each produced two of these carriers. The ships were upgraded multiple times during their service lives and were retained clear up to the time of the Rifts. Three carriers survived the coming of the Rifts and still serve in the New German Republic Navy including one of the vessels built by The Netherlands. The aged vessels are still considered quite useful and there seems to be no plans to scrap the ships in the near future.
These ships were among the first ships to be laid down that used the advanced composites and alloys that were coming into use. This had made the ships virtually immune to corrosion and has made the ships able to withstand damage far beyond that of previous ships. The hull and superstructure incorporate radar absorbent materials and are constructed in such a was as to minimize the radar cross signature. Originally, the ships used four gas turbines for thrust and the ships were designed to operate at 28 knots although their top speed on trials was 29.5 knots. These engines were replaced by fusion turbines later in ship's service lives. These engines more than doubled the ship's horsepower and gave the Sea Control Ships a top speed of 32.5 knots and virtually unlimited endurance. The ships were designed with two shafts with power transmitted to the shafts via electrical propulsion. The propellers are both variable pitch allowing for faster changes in speed and the ability to turn quicker. Both the hull and propellers are designed with a bubble masking system to reduce ships noise. This is combined with the hull being covered by a sound absorbing rubber material and the engines being specially mounted to reduce noise. The end result is an incredibly quiet vessel.
The ships carry both a gun and a variety of missile launchers. When the ships were originally laid down, they were fitted with a five inch gun, one 32 cell strategic Mark 41 VLS for Standard and other missile types, two eight cell Mark 48 VLS for ESSM Missiles, eight harpoon tubes, two RAM missile launchers, and six anti-submarine torpedo tubes. The five inch gun was similar to those carried on the American Burke class but were modified for a higher rate of fire. When the propulsion system was upgraded, the missile launchers were upgraded including the replacement of the Mark 48 VLS with an automatic reloading medium range missile launcher. All other weapon systems were upgraded to use new ordnance.
The ship's sensors include the APAR and SMART-L Radar system and the STN Atlas Elektronik DSQS-21B hull sonar. There is provisions for a towed array sonar system but none was ever installed. The APAR system functions as air search and fire control for the missiles and the five inch gun. The various sensor systems were never replaced but were upgrade several times during the ship's service lives.
The ships were designed to carry a total of 24 aircraft split between fighters and anti-submarine aircraft. The vessel has a full length flight deck with a large hanger and ski jump forward to allow higher payloads to be carried by aircraft. They initially carried the Vertical Take Off And Landing version of the American Joint Strike Fighter on the carriers and the Joint Strike Fighter was replaced later in service by the American Sea Hawk VTOL fighter. The German carriers operated their own fighters once the Joint Strike Fighter was replaced. A variety of different Anti-Submarine aircraft were carried during the ship's careers. At the time of the Rifts, the Sea Control Ships were carrying twelve fighters, eight anti-submarine aircraft, and four airborne radar aircraft.
The ships were designed with automation to reduce crew size and the ships use a much smaller crew than the Spanish Principe de Asturias used even the Valkyre class carries a far large amount of weapon system. In addition to the crew, these ships can carry a large number of marines. The ships can carry up to 600 marines onboard. In later service, this was reduced to 400 with 200 being in flying power armors.
Model Type: Valkyrie class Sea Control Ship
Vehicle Type: Ocean, Sea Control Ship (Aircraft Carrier / Cruiser)
Crew: Ships Crew & Airwing: 380 (45 Officers and 335 Enlisted [Has a high degree of automation]) Air Wing: 240 (120 Pilots & Crew, 10 flight deck officers, 110 enlisted)
Troops: 400 (200 pilots for Flying Power Armor, 200 soldiers in body armor)
Robots, Power Armors, and Vehicles:
|200||Flying Power Armors (X- l0A Predator Power Armor in NGR Service)|
|4||VTOL Radar Aircraft (XM-270 E Mosquito Airborne Radar in NGR Service)|
|8||VTOL ASW Aircraft (XM-270 F Mosquito ASW in NGR Service)|
|12||VTOL Fighters (XM-281 Swallow in NGR Service)|
M.D.C. by location:
| Elevators (2):||200 each|
| Flight Deck:||2,250|
|127 mm Cannon Barrel (1):||80|
|Five Inch (127 mm) cannon Turret (Forward):||250|
|Mk 41 32 Cell Vertical Missile Launchers (1, Forward):||220|
|Eight Cell Vertical Medium Range Missile Launchers (2):||300 each|
|LRM Canisters (8 total, 2x4 Amidships Superstructure)||100 each|
|GDC Mk 49 Rolling Airframe Missile Quad Launcher:||180|
|Torpedo Launchers (2, Sides of Fantail):||40 each|
|Chaff Launchers (4, Superstructure):||10 each|
| APAR Radar Systems (4, Superstructure):||150 each|
| Signaal Smart-L Air/Surf. Search Radar:||300|
|Signaal Sirius Cameras (2):||100 each|
| Bridge / Command Tower:||1,250|
|Outer Hull (per 40 foot / 12.2 meter area):||80|
| Main Body:||6,000|
 If Both are destroyed, no aircraft can be moved from the hangers to the main flight deck.
 If the flight deck is destroyed, VTOL aircraft can be launched or land at -15% to piloting.
 Destroying both APAR and the Smart-L Air Search System radar system will eliminate the ship's long range air search ability but weapon systems have backup fire control systems. Both air search systems are separate so both systems are not likely to be disabled from a single hit, and the four APAR panels can compensate for the loss of one or two panels.
 If Bridge/ Control Tower is destroyed, the ship can still be piloted from engineering but with a -15% to piloting rolls. Communication and sensor equipment are not concentrated on the bridge to reduce the effectiveness of bridge hits.
 Destroying the main body destroys propulsion and power systems, disabling the ship. The ship is fitted with an advanced polymer armors that allow the ship to withstand up to -2000 MDC before losing structural integrity and sinking. There are enough life preservers and inflatable life boats to accommodate everyone on the ship.
Surface: 37.4 mph (32.5 knots/ 60.2 kph)
Maximum Effective Range: Unlimited due to fusion engines (needs to refuel every 20 years and requires maintenance as well). Ship carries four months of supplies on board.
Length: 791.3 feet (241.2 meters)
Draft: 33.1 feet (10.1 meters) including sonar dome
Width: 100.4 feet (30.7 meters) including flight deck
Displacement: 16,100 tons standard and 21,200 tons fully loaded
Cargo: 1,000 tons of nonessential equipment and supplies. Each enlisted crew member has a small locker for personal items and uniforms. Ships officers have more space for personal items. Most of the ship's spaces are taken up by extra ammo, armor, troops, weapons, and engines.
Power System: Nuclear Reactor, average life span is 20 years
Market Cost: Not for sale but if found on the black market would probably cost 1.2 billion or more credits.
- One (1) OTO Melera Single Barrel Five Inch (127 mm) Naval Gun: The ship mounts a five inch gun on the bow of the ship. The gun is similar to the gun mounted on American destroyer designs and is very reliable although it fires at a faster rate than the American mount (40 rounds per minute). The gun was carried on many ship classes until well into the twenty first century. The guns can be used against other ships, against ground targets, and against aircraft. The five inch guns can also use rocket assisted projectiles for extended range.
- MK-41 32 Cell Strategic MK 41 Vertical Launch Missile Launcher (1): A American design which was very flexible, with the design having cells allowing for two Medium Range Missiles to be loaded into one cell. The launcher is fitted flush with the deck, just aft of the 127 mm cannon, and in front of the bridge. This is the longer strategic version of the missile launcher and can carry the longer cruise missile. From the beginning, the launchers have been found to be very flexible and adaptable. The launcher was originally design for the Tomahawk and Standard SM-2 Missile. On Rifts Earth, the launchers have been adapted to hold one cruise missile, two long range missiles, or four medium range missiles per cell. Cruise missiles are usually used against hardened fixed targets, long range missiles are normally used against aircraft and other large targets, and medium range missiles are normally used against closer targets such as incoming missiles.
- Long Range Missile Canister Launchers (8): These launchers are special canisters with four on each side of the ship's superstructure. These canisters were copied from Old United States Harpoon canister launchers. While the launchers are reusable, they are still inexpensive and are easily jettisoned if damages. While any long range missile type can be carried, usually special surface skimming missiles will be carried in launchers and are used against surface targets only.
- Two (2) GDC Mk 49 Rolling Airframe Missile Quad Launchers: Thse are a Pre-Rifts RAM missile launching system and were modified to use 21 Short Range Missiles during refits. One is mounted in the front of the superstructure and the other is mounted in the aft part of the superstructure. Each launcher is mounted beside a medium range missile launcher. Thes missile mounts main purpose is for inner anti-missile point defense and was originally designed to deal with cruise missiles. Short Range Missiles are usually a mixture of 50% Armor Piercing and 50% Plasma. Launchers can lock onto multiple targets at the same. The systems missile launchers can target up four targets and can fire a volley up to twice per melee. Each launcher operates independently.
- Two (2) Torpedo Launchers: There is one launcher on each side of the ship near the fantail. Each torpedo launcher has 3 torpedo tubes and tubes are 12.75 in (324 mm) wide. Torpedoes are normally used against submarines but can be targeted on surface targets as well. Ship carries 60 reloads for torpedoes. Treat warheads as medium range missile warheads.
- Super RBOC Chaff Launcher (4): Located on the superstructure of the ship, they are designed to confuse incoming missiles. In addition to chaff these launchers also fired flares to decoy IR guided missiles. Rifts Earth decoys systems are assumed to not operate on Phase World missiles due to technological difference. Reduce effects by 20% against smart missiles (Add +20% to rolls for smart missiles.)
Maximum Effective Range: 12 miles (10.4 nautical miles/19.3 km) for standard projectiles and 20 miles (17.4 nautical miles/32.2 km) for rocket propelled rounds.
Mega-Damage: Standard Projectiles: 2D6x10 to a blast radius of 25 ft (7.7 m) for High Explosive, 3D6x10 to a blast radius of 6 ft (2 m) for High Explosive Armor Piercing, and 4D6x10 to a blast radius of 25 ft (7.7 m) for Plasma. Rocket projectiles: 2D4x10 to a blast radius of 20 ft (6.1 m) for High Explosive, 2D6x10 to a blast radius of 4 ft (1.2 m) for High Explosive Armor Piercing, and 3D6x10 to a blast radius of 20 ft (6.1 m) for Plasma. Use the statistics for 105 mm artillery warheads (Go to Battlefield Artillery for Rifts for more information - standard or rocket assisted as appropriate).
Rate of Fire: Ten shots per cannon per melee.
Payload: 600 rounds. Ship normally carries usually carries 150 High Explosive, 150 High Explosive Armor Piercing, 150 Plasma, 50 Rocket Propelled High Explosive, 50 Rocket Propelled High Explosive Armor Piercing, and 50 Rocket Propelled Plasma rounds. The ship will carry special rounds when employed in artillery roles.
Maximum Effective Range: As per cruise, long range, or medium range missile type (Go to Revised bomb and missile table).
Mega Damage: As per cruise, long range, or medium range missile type (Go to Revised bomb and missile table).
Rate of Fire: One at a time or in volleys of 2, 4, or 16 for the launcher per melee and can be fired at multiple targets at the same time.
Payload: 32 missiles cells in forward VLS launcher (possible total of 64 long range missiles). One cruise missile, two long range missiles, or four medium range missiles may be carried per cell. Ship carries no reloads. The ship will often carry long range missiles in all cells.
3. Thor class Vertical Medium Range Missile Launchers (2): Similar to the American Mk 55 vertical launch missile system although it fires vertically not at a 6 degree angle to the side. One launcher is mounted on the front of the superstructure and the other is mounted on the aft part of the superstructure and launchers replace old Mk 48 launchers. Beside each launcher is a RAM missile launcher. The missiles are arranged in an 2 by 4 pattern, and each launch cell has four reloads. One launcher is mounted on the front and one is mounted on the back of the vessel's superstructure and require less space than a Mk-41 or MK-49 VLS. Each system can launch up to 8 missiles simultaneously each and the launcher is automatically reloaded. These launchers often act as the ships middle point defense and are normally used to engage incoming air targets and missiles.
Maximum Effective Range: As per medium range missile type (Go to Revised bomb and missile table).
Mega Damage: As per medium range missile type (Go to Revised bomb and missile table).
Rate of Fire: One at a time or in volleys of two, four, or eight (Each launcher operates independently)
Payload: 8 missiles in each launcher, with 32 missiles in each magazine for automatic reloads, for a total of 80 Medium Range Missiles including missiles in launcher.
Maximum Effective Range: As per long range missile type (Surface skimming missiles have 25% less range than normal long range missile, Go to Revised bomb and missile table).
Mega Damage: As per long range missile type (Go to Revised bomb and missile table).
Rate of Fire: One at a time or in volleys of two, four, or eight (All launcher operates together)
Payload: One missile each launcher for a grand total of eight long range missiles (Has no missiles in storage for reloads).
Maximum Effective Range: As per short range missile type (Go to Revised bomb and missile table).
Mega Damage: As per short range missile type (Go to Revised bomb and missile table).
Rate of Fire: One at a time or in volleys of two or four and can be used up to twice per melee (Each launcher operates independently).
Payload: 21 missiles each launcher.
Maximum Effective Range: 20 miles (32 km)
Mega Damage: By Medium torpedo warhead type (See Revised Rifts Torpedoes).
Rate of Fire: One at a time or in volleys of 2, or 3 per side, Reloading takes 1 full melee
Payload: Three torpedoes each launcher for a grand total of six torpedoes (Has 60 torpedoes for reloads)
Maximum Effective Range: Around Ship
Mega Damage: None
- 01-35 Missile or Missile volley detonates in chaff
36-60 Missile or Missile volley loses track of target, may lock onto another target
61-00 No Effect; Missile Still on target
Effects: The decoy has a 65% chance of fooling ordinary non military sonars and non smart guided torpedoes, the decoy has a 35% chance of fooling military level sonars (like those of the Coalition), and the decoy has a 10% chance of fooling advanced military sonars (Like those of the New Navy and Triax) and smart torpedoes.
Decoys have a duration of 30 minutes (120 melee rounds)
Payload: One, with eight more as reloads. It takes three minutes (twelve melees) to reel out another decoy.
- APAR Three Dimensional Search Radar System An incredibly advanced radar and computer system developed before the coming of the Rifts, and continuously upgraded. This system provided the example for all the APAR systems build by TRIAX, and is the equal of the Aegis system on Coalition Navy vessels. Powerful and flexible system that is comprised of four panels that each emit radar waves. If allowed by the horizon, the system can track out to 175 nautical miles (201.4 miles / 324.1 km) and can simultaneously track and identify up to 432 targets at one time. The system controls missile launched from the long range missile launchers and the system track and guide each individual missile to an individual target for up to 144 targets. If a target is eliminated, missiles are automatically guided to a new target. The system can also control missiles launched from other linked vessels as well and can also act as fire control for gun mount. The system gives a +14% to read sensory rolls, +2 on initiative, and +2 to strike.
- Signaal Smart-L Air/Surface Search Radar: Long range air search radar system. Radar system has a range of 250 nautical miles (287.7 miles / 463 km). Radar system can track up to 48 targets simultaneously.
- Signaal Sirius IRST Long range infrared tracking system. Consists of two high powered passive infrared cameras capable of scanning up to 80 miles (128 km) range. Each camera is computer controlled, and the system can track 24 targets simultaneously. The system gives a +10% to read sensory rolls.
- Improved STN Atlas Elektronik DSQS-21B: Mounted under the bow of the ship. Sonar system has a range of around 24 nautical miles (27.6 miles / 44.6 km). This hull sonar system has both a passive and active system built in. Sonar system can track up to 32 targets at one time.
- Radar Defeating Profile: The ship superstructure is designed so that the radar profile of the ship is reduced. Because of this, attempts to detect the ship using radar are made with a -20% penalty to read sensor rolls when attempting to detect this ship using radar. Go to General Detection Penalties for more information on penalties and bonuses to use with stealth.
- Sonar Masking System: The Ship uses water bubbles to form a barrier against sonar combined with specially mounted engines and radar absorbing rubber hull coating. Gives a -20% penalty to any Read Sensory Instrument rolls to detect this ship using sonar.
- Racal Sabre ESM/ECM system: Combines ESM and ECM into one powerful system. The system can detect another radar system at 125% of the range of the transmitting radar. When jamming it causes -30% to detection but when it is active, other vehicles/ bases can detect that it is jamming, and some missiles will home in on jamming signals. Jamming also causes a -4 penalty to all radar guided weapons.
[ Altarian TM, Bandito Arms TM, Brodkil TM, Chipwell Armaments TM, Coalition States TM, Cyber-Knight TM, Federation of Magic TM, Free Quebec TM, Golden Age Weaponsmiths TM, Iron Heart Armaments TM, Kankoran TM, Kittani TM, Larsen's Brigade TM, Mechanoids TM, Mega-Damage TM, Megaversal Legion TM, Millennium Tree TM, Mutants in Orbit TM, Naruni Enterprises TM, New Navy TM, New Sovietskiy TM, NGR TM, Northern Gun TM, Phase World TM, Psyscape TM, Rifter TM, SAMAS TM, S.D.C. TM, Shemarrian TM, Splugorth TM, Stormspire TM, Sunaj TM, Tolkeen TM, Triax TM, Wellington Industries TM, Wilk's Laser Technologies TM, and Xiticix TM are trademarks owned by Kevin Siembieda and Palladium Books Inc. ]
[ Beyond the Supernatural®, Heroes Unlimited®, Nightbane®, Ninjas & Superspies®, Palladium Fantasy®, and Rifts® are registered trademarks owned by Kevin Siembieda and Palladium Books Inc. ]
Image drawn and copyrighted Mischa (E-Mail Mischa). Click on line drawing for a better view.
He has no art home page at present but many other items on my site.
By Kitsune (E-Mail Kitsune).
Copyright © 2001, Kitsune. All rights reserved.