EBSIS Sukhoi Su-37(R) Flanker Fighter:
This fighter is the best fighter presently known in the air force of the EBSIS although there are some rumors of a fighter under development that is the equal or better than most of the fighters used by the RDF.
The Su-37 is a development of the Sukhoi Su-27 fighter and this design dates from 1977 when development was first started. The design had a lot of teething problems and went though many different test models before the design was considered successful and entered service. These included new controls, new engines, and many other systems as well.
In many ways, the fighter is in quality more like a fighter constructed by Western Nations than it was by the Soviet Union and may actually be more maneuverable. Prior to the Global War, the current model of the fighter was about to be introduced to full production but did not enter service until much later in the war.
The controls are fly by wire and the fighter has special Thrust Vector Controls (TVC) that varies the direction of the thrust from the turbines. This makes the fighter far more maneuverable than it would be without the TVC system and this Sukhoi fighter is the most maneuverable fighter in the EBSIS military. Another advantage is that the fighter can takeoff in a much shorter distance. With the introduction of a tail hook, the fighter may be operated from carriers as well as from standard runways.
The SU-37 has neutral stability, which means that even without fly-by-wire the plane could still (barely) fly, as opposed to planes like the F-16, which is impossible to fly without computer aiding in the piloting. Normally this is a advantage, and positive balance a disadvantage, but the Sukhoi has shown that the best thing is really neutral balance. While the fighter is not as fast as the MiG-29(E), the fighters greater maneuverability means that in many cases, it is more effective in combat.
The fighter has advanced radar systems and is capable of both air to air and ground attack roles. Unlike previous EBSIS fighters, the Su-37 fighter uses missiles designs copied from unexpended ordnance from crashed Zentraedi mecha and other vehicles. The fighter can carry a modified versions of a medium missile that have been modified to fire at targets behind the fighter.
The body of the fighter has been reinforced with stronger M.D.C. alloys that allo the fighter to withstand quite a beating before being destroyed. Like the missiles, this armor material is also copied from Zentraedi materials. While this fighter will probably not replace the MiG-29(E), it will likely replace all of the older fighters and is of a higher importance in production than the Fulcrum is.
It is also likely that the Fulcrum will be modified to accept some of the modifications done to the Su-37. The EBSIS has already begun retiring older MiG-23 and the newer Sukoi fighter have been replacing them. The EBSIS will sell the Su-37 but the fighter is expensive.
Model Type: Su-37 (R)
Vehicle Type: Twin Engine Fighter-Bomber
Crew: One or Two
M.D.C. by Location:
| Wings (2):||80 each|
| Elevators (2):||40 each|
| Rudders (2):||40 each|
| Canards (2):||10 each|
|Landing Gear (3):||5 each|
| Engine (2):||90 each|
| Main Body:||130|
 Destroying a Wing will cause the plane to crash
 Destruction of rudders or one elevator will still allow the fighter to be controlled by the varying of power levels and changing the direction of the engines but fighter has a penalty of -10 to dodge, and a -30% penalty to all piloting rolls. Destruction of both of the elevators will leave the plane uncontrollable and pilot must eject to survive.
 Destroying one or both Canards will result in reducing bonuses to dodge by 2
 The destruction of one engine will reduce the fighter’s top speed by half and give the pilot a -2 penalty to dodge as well as giving a 10% penalty to piloting. Destruction of both engines will cause the aircraft to crash. Pilot may attempt a emergency landing or pilot can choose to eject.
 Depleting the M.D.C. of the main body will shut the Aircraft down completely, rendering it useless and causing it to crash if in flight.
Driving on Ground (Taxiing): Only possible for take offs and landings as well as for parking and storage. Speed is 40 mph (64 kph) when traveling and not on take off or landing. Because of the vectoring of the thrusters, the fighter can take off in a short distance.
Flying: The Su-37 can reach a top speed of Mach 2.095 (1,553.4 mph/2,500 kph) on full afterburner (the fighter can only last a few minutes at that speed). The fighters normal cruise is about 600 mph (965.6 kph) but varies on situation. The fighter has a maximum altitude of 61,679.7 feet (18,800 m)
Maximum Effective Range: 1,997.8 nautical miles (2299.1 miles/3,700 km) with ordnance load. Fighter has approximately 25% better range when fighter is carrying no ordnance. The fighter can carry up to two fuel tanks (One on each engine nacelle hard points) that extend range by about 126 nautical miles (145 miles/234 km) each. Unlike most Russian fighters, the Su-37 can be refueled in the air
Height: 21.0 feet (6.4 meters)
Wingspan: 48.2 feet (14.7 meters)
Length: 72.8 feet (22.2 meters)
Weight: 56,590 pounds (25,670 kg) lightly loaded, and 74,960 pounds (34,000 kg)
Power System: Conventional, Two Saturn Lyul´ka AL-31FP afterburning turbofans (27,560 lb thrust each), uses aviation fuel.
Cargo: Minimal (Storage for small equipment), does not include hard points.
Market Price: 50 million credits
- One DP GSh-301 30 mm cannon: Mounted on the base of the fighters right wing, this cannon is heavier than the cannon mounted in the MiG-29(E) of the EBSIS (although there seems to be plans to fit it into the Mig as well) and inflicts more damage to targets. The cannon is useful against both other fighters and ground targets. The EBSIS has developed more powerful ammunition so it can damage the new M.D.C. alloys. While the weapon does not inflict as much damage as most guns from RDF fighters, it still inflicts a good amount of damage.
- Hard Points (12): The EBSIS Sukhoi Su-37 has a total of twelve hard points. The fighter has one hard point on the wing tips, three in the inner, middle and outer areas of the wings, one hard point underneath each engine nacelle, and two between the fighters engines. Below is a list of hard points and the loads that they can carry. Missiles, rocket packs, and bombs can be mixed or matched but all ordnance on a hard point must be the same type. An interesting load the launcher can carry is rear firing missiles. These missiles are modified medium range missiles. A special additional booster to bring missile to a stop is added to the missiles and a cone is added to the thruster side of the missiles so it does not interfere with the aerodynamics of the fighter. When a hard point carries a rear firing missile, it is limited to one medium range missile. Carry short range missiles in pods instead of on hard points allows the fighter to carry more missiles at a time.
- Bombs and Missiles: The only restriction is that a hard point must carry all the same type of missiles or bombs. Both unguided and guided bombs can be carried.
- Rocket Pod: Large capacity short range missile pod. The short range missile pods are normally carried for ground strafing, anti-troop, and anti-emplacement attacks. Normal missile used are armor piercing, plasma, or fragmentation short range missiles. In two pilot versions, short range missile pods are controlled by the pilot.
- Active Jamming Pod: Pod takes place of all ordnance on the Hard Point. Causes -25% to detection but when it is active, other vehicles/ bases can detect that it is jamming, and some missiles will home in on jamming signals. Jamming also causes a -4 penalty to all radar guided weapons.
Maximum Effective Range: 4,000 feet (1,220 meters).
Mega Damage: 4D6 per burst of 30 rounds from cannon. Each round inflicts 1 M.D.C. each
Rate of Fire: Equal to the combined hand to hand attacks of the pilot (usually 4 or 5).
Payload: 150 rounds (5 bursts)
Between Engine Nacelles Hard Points (2): ECM Pod or Missiles/Bombs only (1 Long Range Missile /Heavy or 2 Medium Range/Medium).
Engine Nacelles Hard Points (2): ECM Pod or Missiles/Bombs (1 Long Range Missile /Heavy or 2 Medium Range/Medium).
Inner Wing Hard Points (2): ECM Pod, Rocket packs (Short Range Missiles), Missiles/Bombs (1 Long Range Missile /Heavy, 2 Medium Range/Medium).
Middle Wing Hard Points (2): ECM Pod, Rocket packs (Short Range Missiles) or Missiles/Bombs (1 Long Range Missile /Heavy, 2 Medium Range/Medium).
Outer Wing Hard Points (2): Rocket packs or Missiles/Bombs (1 Medium Range/Medium).
Wing Tip Hard Points (2): Missiles only (1 medium range missile).
Maximum Effective Range: Varies by missile type for missile and varies by altitude bombs are dropped at (See Robotech RPG book for missiles).
Mega Damage: Varies by missile or bomb type (See Robotech RPG book for missiles).
Rate of Fire: Missiles can be fired and bombs can be dropped one at a time per hard point. Multiple hard points can be linked as one attack but must be the same size (light, medium, or heavy) and style of ordnance (all missiles or bombs in a volley)
Payload: Varies by hard point (see above - all ordnance on a hard point must be the same size and type of ordnance).
Maximum Effective Range: Varies with missile types, short range missiles only (See Robotech RPG book).
Mega Damage: Varies with missile types (See Robotech RPG book).
Rate of Fire: Each pod can fire one at a time or in volleys of 3, 6, or 9 and can be linked with other mini missile pods for greater number of missiles (Counts as one attack no matter how many missiles in volley)
Payload: each pod carries 9 short missile.
- NIIP N-011M Radar: Medium range radar capable of tracking both air targets and ground targets. The radar system also has terrain following capacity. The fighter can track up to fifteen targets simultaneously and can target and fire on up to six targets simultaneously. Range: 150 miles (130.3 nautical miles/ 241.4 km)
- E.S.M.: Radar Detector, Passively detects other radars being operated.
- FLIR: Forward Looking Infrared. Allows pilot and weapons officer to get visuals on targets at night.
- +2 to Strike with 30 mm Gun and Mini-Missile Launchers.
+3 to dodge
+5 to dodge while traveling over 250 Mph
[ EBSIS TM, Mega-Damage TM, Rifter TM, and S.D.C. TM are trademarks owned by Kevin Siembieda and Palladium Books Inc. ]
[ Beyond the Supernatural®, Heroes Unlimited®, Nightbane®, Ninjas & Superspies®, Palladium Fantasy®, and Rifts® are registered trademarks owned by Kevin Siembieda and Palladium Books Inc. ]
[ Macross®, Robotech®, Robotech: Sentinels®, SDF-1®, Southern Cross®, and Zentraedi® are registered trademarks owned and licensed by Harmony Gold USA, Inc. ]
Writeup by Kitsune (E-Mail Kitsune).
Copyright © 1999 & 2001, Kitsune. All rights reserved.