EBSIS Ul'Yanovsk Class Nuclear Aircraft Carrier:
Few people believe that the EBSIS naval forces are as powerful as they are but the reality is that they are quite dangerous. The Ul'Yanovsk Class Nuclear Aircraft Carrier is a new carrier design that was laid down just before the Global War and while not quite the equal of American designs, still carries a good number of aircraft and is the most powerful pre global war carrier design not constructed by the Americans. The Ul'Yanovsk was to have been commissioned around 1994 but was delayed during the Global War and was fully commissioned in January of 2004. This delay was due to adding new systems and incorporating high strength ceramics into the design to enable it to withstand far more damage. While the ship is nuclear powered, the EBSIS has two conventionally powered carriers that are smaller but similar in many respects. These are the Tbilisi and Riga and plans are to upgrade them to the same standards as the Ul'Yanovsk as far as armor and standard. This is question due to budget constraints. A second ship of the Ul'Yanovsk class was planned but scrapped after the purchasing of the Iapetus.
Unlike the Kirov class cruiser, the carrier design is fully nuclear powered which allows for much greater endurance at high speed. In addition, the ship has more space for carrying aviation fuel than is carried on the ships half brothers. Brothers, because the Russians consider their ship designs as male unlike Americans and most other nations. The ship has four PWR nuclear reactors (fission not fusion rectors) that produce 240,000 horsepower and can propel the ship at speeds of up to 32 knots. The ship is incredibly well armed and has multiple anti-missile defense system. The ship is in reality better defended with its own defenses better than American designs. The missile launchers have been converted to fire missiles that are copies of designs stolen for the RDF. It was original planned that the carrier would have catapults but due to engineering problems, the ship was equipped with a ski jump to launch aircraft.
Similar to most newer Soviet ship designs, the ship has very luxurious quarters for the officers especially the Captain and any flag officers that are embarked. The ship is designed to be able to act as a flagship and has been often been used as one. The ship carries 30 Su-27 Fighters, 10 Su-25 Attack Aircraft, and around 15 helicopters. Helicopters can be used for extending radar range and for searching for submarines.
Model Type: Project 1143.7
Class: Nuclear Aircraft Carrier (Tyazholiy Avionosnyy Kreyser (TAKR); heavy aviation cruiser)
Crew: Ship's complement 2,300, Air Crew 1450, and Flagship Staff 40 (when acting as a flagship)
|30||Sukhoi Su-37(R) Fighters|
|10||Sukhoi Su-25 Frogfoot Ground Attack Aircrafts|
|10||Kamov Ka-27PL "Helix"|
|5||Kamov Ka-25RT "Hormone" Helicopters|
M.D.C. by Location:
| Exterior Elevators (3):||250 each|
| Flight Deck:||2,750|
|Hanger doors||250 each|
|AK-630 30 mm Gatling Anti Air guns (6):||25 each|
|Kashstan CADS-N-1 CIWS systems (8):||50 each|
|SA-N-9 Gauntlet Octuple VLS (4):||80 each|
|P-700/SS-N-19 Granit/Shipwreck VLS (12):||130 each|
|RPK-5/UDAV-1 Liven ASW Rail Launchers (2):||80 each|
| MR-320M Topaz/Strut Pair 2-D air search:||120|
| MR-710 Fregat-MA/Top Plate-B Air Search Radar System:||80|
|Outer Hull (per 80 ft area):||50|
| Main Body:||6,500|
 In all four elevators are destroyed, no aircraft can be moved from the hangers to the flight deck, meaning that they cannot be launched unless already on the flight deck.
 If the flight deck is destroyed, only Helicopters and other VTOL aircraft can be launched or land. VTOL aircraft are at -15% to piloting.
 Destroying both Strut Pair and Top Plate Air Search System radar system will eliminate the ships long range air search ability but weapon systems have backup fire control systems. Both air search systems are separate so both systems are not likely to be disable from a single hit.
 Depleting the M.D.C. of the main body destroys the ship's structural integrity, causing it to sink. There are enough flotation devices and inflatable life rafts to accommodate everyone aboard.
On Water: 32 knots (36.8 mph / 59.3 kph)
Maximum Effective Range: Effectively Unlimited (must refuel about every ten years)
Draft: 35.4 feet (10.8 meters)
Width, Waterline: 130.6 feet (39.8 meters)
Width, Flight Deck: 248.5 feet (75.5 meters)
Length: 1065.0 feet (324.6 meters)
Displacement: 60,000 tons standard and 79,758 tons fully loaded
Cargo: Can carry 4,000 tons of extraneous cargo. Each enlisted crew member has a small locker for personal items and uniforms. Ship's officers have far more space for personal items. Most of the ship's spaces are taken up by extra ammo, armor, troops, weapons, and engines.
Power System: 4 Nuclear Reactors
Market Price: Not available.
- Kashstan CADS-N-1 CIWS Systems (8): Main point defense system that fills a similar purpose to the US Navies CIWS. Weapon system is a combination of twin AK 630 30mm Gatling gun and a missile launching system that was originally developed to use 3M-88 Kortika/SA-N-11 missiles. It has been modified to fire standard Robotech short range missiles. The weapon is useful on land, surface, and air targets. While the launcher can be controlled by a gunner, it is normally set on automatic and in this mode has five attacks per melee and with guns has +3 to strike missiles and +2 to strike aircraft The launcher will normally use up all of its missile before switching to guns.
- AK-630 30 mm Gatling Anti Air guns (6): Secondary point defense system that fills a similar purpose to the US Navies CIWS and combines with the CADS-N-1 Systems. System is a six barrel 30 mm Gatling gun. The weapon is useful on land, surface, and air targets. While the launcher can be controlled by a gunner, it is normally set on automatic and in this mode has five attacks per melee and with guns has +3 to strike missiles and +2 to strike aircraft.
- SA-N-9 Gauntlet Octuple VLS (4): These launchers are mounted forward and aft of the ships superstructure. These launchers were originally designed to launch RZ-130 Kinzhal/Klinok/SA-N-9 Gauntlet missiles but have been refitted to launch standard Robotech medium range missiles. They can launch on either ground, surface, or air targets. The launchers can launch at multiple targets simultaneously.
- P-700/SS-N-19 Granit/Shipwreck VLS (12): These weapons are mounted flush with the ships deck. While most missiles launchers that have been converted to fire standard missiles, these launchers retained the original missile that they were designed for. The missile launchers fire P-700 Granit/SS-N-19 Shipwreck missiles. The missile is similar to the original model but the guidance systems have been improved on the missiles. The missiles can be fired be fired at either ground or surface targets but cannot be targeted on air targets. The ships has 12 Shipwreck missiles in vertical launch systems on the front of the ship. The missiles are considered smart missiles (+5 to strike, +4 to dodge, and 2 attacks per melee until they strike their target or run out of fuel) and can be launched at multiple targets simultaneously. The missiles travel at a speed of Mach 2.2 (1657 mph/ 1440 knots/ 2667 kph). This calculates to a speed of 7.5 miles (6.5 nautical miles / 12 km) per melee. Missiles can withstand 40 M.D.C. before being destroyed.
- RPK-5/UDAV-1 Liven ASW Rail Launchers (2): This weapon system is a ten tube anti-submarine rocket mortar system mounted on the front of the ship. It works similarly to a depth charge launchers in the respect that it uses multiple warheads in the attempt to hit the target. The weapon is useful against torpedoes as well as against submarines but is only useful against underwater targets
Maximum Effective Range: Gatling Guns: 9700 feet (2960 meters). Short Range Missiles: Varies with short range missile type (See Robotech RPG book)
Mega-Damage: Gatling Guns: 4D6 per burst of 30 rounds from one cannon or 8D6 per burst of 60 rounds (30 from each cannon). Short Range Missiles: Varies with short range missile type (See Robotech RPG book)
Rate of Fire: Gatling Guns: Five bursts per melee for each mount (Has +3 to strike missiles and +2 to strike aircraft). Short Range Missiles: One at a time or in volley of 2, 3, or 4 per launcher. Can fire up to five times per melee in place of gun fire.
Payload: Gatling Guns: 6000 rounds per CIWS mount (200 single cannon bursts or 100+ double cannon bursts). Short Range Missiles: 32 short range missiles per mount
Maximum Effective Range: 9700 feet (2960 meters).
Mega-Damage: 4D6 per burst of 30 rounds.
Rate of Fire: Five bursts per melee for each mount (Has +3 to strike missiles and +2 to strike aircraft).
Payload: 3000 rounds per CIWS mount (100 bursts).
Maximum Effective Range: Varies with medium range missile type (See Robotech RPG book)
Mega-Damage: Varies with medium range missile type (See Robotech RPG book)
Rate of Fire: One at a time or in volley of any amount up to 8 for each launcher (16 missiles total) in any combinations and at multiple target at the same time.
Payload: 256 medium range missiles total (64 missiles per launcher)
Maximum Effective Range: 288 miles (250 nautical miles / 463 km)
Mega-Damage: 2D4x100 per missile (Blast radius of 80 feet / 24.4 meters)
Rate of Fire: One at a time or in volley of 2, 3, or 4 (including all launchers) in any combinations and at multiple target at the same time.
Payload: 12 Shipwreck Missiles (1 per launcher)
Maximum Effective Range: 4.6 miles (4 nautical miles / 7.8 km)
Mega Damage: 3D6 per warhead with a blast radius of 20 ft (6.1 m).
Rate of Fire: Volleys of 10 mortars rockets only.
Payload: 120 Mortar Rockets (60 each)
- MR-320M Topaz/Strut Pair 2-D Air Search System: Long range air search radar system. Radar system has a range of 300 nautical miles (345.2 miles / 555.6 km). Radar system can track up to 64 targets simultaneously and can target up to 24 targets simultaneously.
- MR-710 Fregat-MA/Top Plate-B; 3-D Air Search Radar System: Long range air search radar system although slightly shorter range than MR-800 System. Radar system has a range of 200 nautical miles (230.2 miles / 370.4 km). Radar system can track up to 48 targets simultaneously and can target up to 16 targets simultaneously.
- Orion/Horse Jaw, bow mounted: Sonar system has a range of around 16 nautical miles (18.4 miles / 29.6 km).. This hull sonar system has both a passive and active system built in. Sonar system can track up to 8 targets at one time
- ESM: Can detect another radar system at 125% of the range of the transmitting radar
[ EBSIS TM, Mega-Damage TM, Rifter TM, and S.D.C. TM are trademarks owned by Kevin Siembieda and Palladium Books Inc. ]
[ Beyond the Supernatural®, Heroes Unlimited®, Nightbane®, Ninjas & Superspies®, Palladium Fantasy®, and Rifts® are registered trademarks owned by Kevin Siembieda and Palladium Books Inc. ]
[ Macross®, Robotech®, Robotech: Sentinels®, SDF-1®, Southern Cross®, and Zentraedi® are registered trademarks owned and licensed by Harmony Gold USA, Inc. ]
First image drawn and copyrighted by Nils Dücker.
More "http://ducker.se/" artwork at Nils Dücker - Game Art Portfolio
Second image drawn and copyrighted by Gollevainen. Click on line drawing for a better view.
Writeup by Kitsune (E-Mail Kitsune).
Copyright © 1999 & 2013, Kitsune. All rights reserved.