R.D.F. Arleigh Burke Class Destroyers:
After the SDF-1 crashed on Earth, the new government needed a design for future destroyers. The United States naval vessels became much of the backbone of the RDF fleet and the Burke class destroyers had been being built for close to a decade. It was still one of the most advanced designs and the Flight IIA version was used by the new world government as the primary destroyer design being built. Because these vessels were constructed after the crashing of the SDF-1, super strong alloys that were copied from the crashed fortress were used in the vessels construction from the keel out. As a result, these vessels are fairly tough. These vessels were considered better than any EBSIS designs built at the same time and served for many years as important elements of surface naval units.
Construction on the design was stopped after the designs for the Strike Cruiser and Battle Cruiser were finalized. These designs both incorporated fusion reactors which gave them much longer endurance than the destroyer which is powered by gas turbine engines.
The RDF destroyers are equipped with a hanger that allows for the carrying of two helicopters in a hanger. Most often the Sea-Sergeant is used on these vessels for anti-submarine warfare and for short range transport roles.
The class is mostly named after naval heroes with American officers being the most common. Often several of these destroyers are used to escort the pre SDF-1 Nuclear carrier, USS Enterprise. The vessels most commonly assigned to the Enterprise taskforce include DDG-107 Bainbridge, DDG-112 Mulinux, DDG-114 Wilkerson, DDG-119 O'Callahan.
Model Type: Modified DDG-51 Class, DDG-105 to DDG-125.
Class: Guided Missile Destroyer
Crew: 341 total; 27 officers, 24 chief petty officer, 292 enlisted.
Mecha and Vehicles:
M.D.C. by Location:
| Phase Array Radar Panels (4, Superstructure):||200 each|
|Forward Mk 41 Missile Launchers (32 Cell):||150|
|Aft Mk 41 Missile Launchers (64 Cell):||300|
|Missile Canisters (8 total, 4 on each side)||60 each|
|Medium Torpedo Launchers (2, sides):||25 each|
|Five Inch (127 mm) cannon Turret (Forward):||150|
|Phalanx Gun CIWS (2, Superstructure):||75 each|
| Main Body:||850|
 Destroying Phase Array radar panels will destroy the ships fire control systems but guns have backup systems and panels can compensate for each other.
 Depleting the M.D.C. of the main body destroys the ship's structural integrity, causing it to sink. There are enough flotation devices and inflatable life rafts to accommodate everyone aboard.
On Water: 33 knots (36.8 mph/59.3 kph) maximum. Normal maximum cruse is 30 knots (35 mph/54.4 kmph)
Maximum Effective Range: 4,400 nautical miles (5063 miles/8148 km) at 20 knots
Draft: 24.7 feet (7.5 meters) mean and 32.7 feet (9.97 meters) including sonar
Width: 66.9 feet (20.4 meters)
Length: 509.5 feet (155.3 meters)
Displacement: 6,869 tons normal and 9,435 tons fully loaded
Cargo: Can carry 200 tons of extraneous cargo.
Power System: 4 GE LM-2500 Gas Turbines (105,000 Shaft Horsepower), 2 Shafts
Market Price: Not available.
- Five-inch Cannon Turret: The ship mounts a five inch gun on the bow of the ship. The gun is very reliable although it fires at a relatively slow rate (20 rounds per minute). Standard cannon used on US warships. Uses a special ammo that uses the new Robotech heavier warheads. The guns can be used against other ships, against ground targets, and against aircraft. The five inch guns can also use rocket assisted projectiles for extended range.
- GE/GD 20mm/76 Phalanx 6-barreled [Mk-15] (2): The ship has two mounts on the superstructure with one in front and one over the hanger. The system was designed before the SDF-1 crashed and the weapon system used for ship defense. Weapon system now uses new ammo types that allow weapon to do enough M.D.C. to destroy the new missiles types. While the system can be used against ships, it is normally used against missile or aircraft. Each Turret can rotate 360 and has a 180 arc of fire. Each autocannon can fire on automatic at up to six targets per melee (Has +3 to strike missiles and +2 to strike aircraft).
- Two (2) MK 41 Strategic Vertical Launch Missile Launchers: Forward launcher has 32 cells and rear launcher has 64 cells. Original missiles used in launcher include the Tomahawk cruise missile and the SM-2 missile. Tomahawks have been updated with heavier warheads but the SM-2 missiles that the launcher was originally designed for are much larger than the present long range missiles carried in the launcher but it was simpler to retain the same launcher and simply converted to launch standard long range and medium range missiles. Each cell can carry one Tomahawk, two long range missiles, or four medium range missile. Long range missiles are normally used against large targets and aircraft further out where the medium range missiles will normally be used to engage closer targets.
- Long Range Missile Launchers (8): These launchers are special canisters with four on each side of the ship's superstructure. These canisters were copied from Old United States Harpoon canister launchers. While the launchers are reusable, they are still inexpensive and are easily jettisoned. While any long range missile type can be carried, usually special surface skimming missiles will be carried in launchers and are used against surface targets only.
- Two (2) Torpedo Launchers: There is one launcher on each side of the ship. Each torpedo launcher has 3 torpedo tubes and tubes are 12.75 in (324 mm) wide. Torpedoes are normally used against submarines but can be targeted on surface targets as well. Ship carries 60 reloads for torpedoes. Treat warheads as medium range missile warheads.
Maximum Effective Range: 12 miles (10.4 nautical miles/19.3 km) for standard projectiles, 20 miles (17.4 nautical miles/32.2 km) for rocket propelled rounds.
Mega-Damage: Standard Projectiles: 1D6x10 to a blast radius of 25 ft (7.7 m) for High Explosive and 2D4x10 to a blast radius of 6 ft (2 m) for High Explosive Armor Piercing. Rocket projectiles: 1D4x10 to a blast radius of 20 ft (6.1 m) for High Explosive and 1D6x10 to a blast radius of 4 ft (1.2 m) for High Explosive Armor Piercing. Cannons can also use special purpose warheads, use the statistics for 105 mm artillery warheads (standard or rocket assisted as appropriate) for Rifts (Go to Battlefield Artillery for Rifts) and reducing damages by about half.
Rate of Fire: Five shots per cannon per melee.
Payload: 600 rounds. Ship normally carries usually carries 200 High Explosive, 200 High Explosive Armor Piercing, 100 Rocket Propelled High Explosive, and 100 Rocket Propelled High Explosive Armor Piercing. The ship will carry special rounds when employed in artillery roles.
Maximum Effective Range: 5,000 feet (1524 meters)
Mega-Damage: 4D6 for a burst of 60 round (1 for each round but gun always fires in bursts).
Rate of Fire: Six bursts per melee for each mount (Has +3 to strike missiles and +2 to strike aircraft).
Payload: 600 rounds (10 bursts) each. Ship carries an additional 18,000 rounds of ammunition in magazines. Autocannon requires 2 minutes (8 melees) to reload by properly trained personnel (Double for untrained crews).
Maximum Effective Range: As per missile type. See long or medium range missile types (See Robotech RPG book) or Tomahawk missile for more details.
Mega Damage: As per missile type. See long or medium range missile types (See Robotech RPG book) or RDF Tomahawk missile for more details.
Rate of Fire: One at a time or in volleys of 2, 4, 16, or 32 for both launchers per melee and can be fired at multiple target at the same time.
Payload: 32 cells missiles in forward launcher and 64 cells in rear launcher (Possible total of 192 long range missiles). Two long range missiles or four medium range missiles may be carried per cell. The ship will often carry 4 cells in forward VLS and 8 cells in rear VLS (12 Cells / Tomahawk Missiles total) with Tomahawks, 8 cells in forward VLS and 16 cells in rear VLS filled with medium range missiles (24 Cells / 96 Medium Range Missiles total), and 20 cells in forward VLS and 40 cells in rear VLS filled with long range missiles (60 Cells / 120 Long Range Missiles total.)
Maximum Effective Range: As per long range missile type (Surface skimming missiles have 25% less range than normal long range missile, See Robotech RPG book).
Mega Damage: As per long range missile type (See Robotech RPG book).
Rate of Fire: One at a time or in volley of two, four, eight, or sixteen (All launcher operates together)
Payload: 1 missiles each launcher for a grand total of 8 long range missiles (Has no missiles in storage for reloads).
Maximum Effective Range: 20 miles (32 km)
Mega Damage: Treat warheads as medium range missile warheads (See Robotech RPG book).
Rate of Fire: One at a time or in volleys of 2, or 3 per side, Reloading takes 1 full melee
Payload: 3 torpedo each launcher for a grand total of 6 torpedo (Has 60 torpedoes for reloads).
The ship has all systems standard on a Destroid plus the following special features:
- SPY-1D Phased Array Radar: Powerful and flexible pre-SDF radar system that is comprised of four panels that each emit radar waves. If allowed by the horizon, the system can track out to 175 nautical miles (201.4 miles / 324.1 km) and can simultaneously track and identify up to 288 targets at one time. The system controls missile launched from the long range missile launchers and the system track and guide each individual missile to a individual target for up to 96 targets. If a target is eliminated, missiles are automatically guided to a new target. The system can also control missiles launched from other linked vessels as well and can also act as fire control for gun mounts.
- SQS-53C Hull Sonar System: Mounted under the bow of the ship. Sonar system has a range of around 16 nautical miles (18.4 miles / 29.6 km). This hull sonar system has both a passive and active system built in. Sonar system can track up to 16 targets at one time
- SQR-19 Towed Array Sonar: The system is basically a long and very sensitive sonar system carried behind the ship on a long cable. Sonar system has a range of around 75 nautical miles (86.3 miles/139.9 km). This towed array Sonar is a passive only sensor system. Sonar system can track up to 32 targets at one time.
- Radar Defeating Profile: The ship superstructure is designed so that the radar profile of the ship is reduced. Because of this, attempts to detect the ship using radar are made with a -10% penalty to read sensor rolls when attempting to detect this ship.
- E.S.M.: The system can detect another radar system at 125% of the range of the transmitting radar.
[ EBSIS TM, Mega-Damage TM, Rifter TM, and S.D.C. TM are trademarks owned by Kevin Siembieda and Palladium Books Inc. ]
[ Beyond the Supernatural®, Heroes Unlimited®, Nightbane®, Ninjas & Superspies®, Palladium Fantasy®, and Rifts® are registered trademarks owned by Kevin Siembieda and Palladium Books Inc. ]
[ Macross®, Robotech®, Robotech: Sentinels®, SDF-1®, Southern Cross®, and Zentraedi® are registered trademarks owned and licensed by Harmony Gold USA, Inc. ]
Writeup by Kitsune (E-Mail Kitsune).
Copyright © 2002, Kitsune. All rights reserved.