R.D.F. Tiger class Ocean Battlecruiser:
The RDF became concerned as the EBSIS began rebuilding their naval vessels including the Kirov class cruiser, the Kuznetzov. It was not an unreasonable assumption that the EBSIS would refit all of the large cruisers and so the RDF looked for a vessel as a reply to the large vessels. The Iowa class battleships were used by the United States Navy in this role but it was decided that a vessel more heavily armed with missiles would be developed. The conversion of the Long Beach cruiser seemed to offer the features desired in the new vessel class and was used as the prototype for the cruiser. The vessels are designated Heavy Strike Cruisers but most crews consider them to be Battlecruisers. Four of these vessels were originally planned. Two of the Tiger class, Tiger and Lion, were completed as scheduled but the other two were canceled when the other three Kirov class rocket cruisers were not refitted like the Kuznetzov. Due to the redirection of RDF assets into space related activities, it is unlikely than more Tiger class battlecruisers will be constructed even if the other Kirov class cruisers are refitted. These ships often act as the air defense flagships for RDF surface squadrons and the old Long Beach often operates in this role as well.
The weapon and electronic layout of the Heavy Strike Cruiser is very similar to that of the refitted USS Long Beach. One of the major changes is the replacement of the forward eight inch gun with two five inch guns with one forward on the vessel and one near the fantail of the vessel. The lighter gun was chosen to give the Heavy Strike Cruiser greater flexibility in arcs of fire and that it is likely for both to be disabled. Another factor might have been that the cruiser could carry a higher payload. The rear five inch gun takes the place of one of the close in weapon systems. The Tiger class carries four Mk 41 VLS with two forward of the main superstructure on a raised deck and four aft of the hanger and helicopter pad. This gives the vessel an incredible ability to carry missiles in the vertical launch cells. Both defensive and anti-ship missiles are carried in the missile cells. The heavy strike cruiser has a total of sixteen harpoon canisters to increase the number of heavy missiles. Each group of four canisters are mounted in a V pattern. Close range defense includes two short range missile launchers, also know as RAM missile launchers, and two close range Phalanx Vulcan cannons. The vessel carries three anti-submarine torpedo tubes on each side. Electronics include SPY-1D phased array radar systems with Aegis computers for air defense along with a SPS-49 long range air search radar inside of an enclosed mast. The SPS-49 radar system has a longer range than the SPY-1 radar system and the enclosed mount reduces the radar cross signature. The vessel also has the SQS-53 hull sonar although it does not carry a towed array sonar.
One major internal change is in propulsion, the Long Beach carries two nuclear reactors. The Tiger class carries two fusion reactors which provide over twice the power of the original nuclear reactors. The length of the heavy strike cruisers are virtually identical to that of the Long Beach but the new vessel has a wider beam for greater stability. The net result is a vessel that can reach four knots faster than the USS Long Beach. The design of the hull and the superstructure are designed to reduce the radar cross signature of the strike cruiser although most do not consider the Tiger class to not be a stealth vessel. The system on the vessel require less personnel due to additional automation. The heavy strike cruiser were meant to be able to operate as flagships and carry flagship facilities.
Model Type: CSGN-1 class Heavy Guided Missile Strike Cruiser
Vehicle Type: Ocean, Guided Missile Heavy Cruiser
Crew: Ship's complement 446 (32 Officers and 414 Enlisted), and Flagship staff 55 (8 Officers, 47 Enlisted - when acting as a flagship)
Mecha and Vehicles:
M.D.C. by location:
| Phase Array Radar Panels (4, Superstructure):||200 each|
| SPS-49 Search Radar Tower:||250|
|Forward & Aft Mk 41 Missile Launchers (4, 64 cells each):||300 each|
|Missile Canisters (16 total, forward of superstructure)||60 each|
|GDC Mk 49 Rolling Airframe Missile Quad Launcher (2):||50|
|Torpedo Launchers (2, sides):||25 each|
|Five Inch (127 mm) cannon Turret (Forward & Aft):||150 each|
|Phalanx Gun CIWS (2, Superstructure):||75 each|
| Main Body:||1,400|
 Destroying Phase Array radar panels will destroy the ships fire control systems but guns have backup systems and panels can compensate for each other.
 Depleting the M.D.C. of the main body destroys the ship's structural integrity, causing it to sink. There are enough flotation devices and inflatable life rafts to accommodate everyone aboard.
On Water: 36 knots (41.5 mph/ 66.7 kph). Cruise is normally around 30 knots (34.5 mph/ 55.6 kph).
Maximum Effective Range: Effectively Unlimited due to fusion engines (needs to refuel every 20 years and requires maintenance as well).
Draft: 30 feet (9.1 meters) mean and 32.5 feet (9.9 meters) under sonar dome
Beam: 76.5 feet (23.31 meters)
Length: 721.25 feet (219.84 meters) overall
Displacement: 15,800 tons standard and 18,050 tons fully loaded
Cargo: Can carry 800 tons of extraneous cargo. Each enlisted crew member has a small locker for personal items and uniforms. Ship's officers have far more space for personal items. Most of the ship's spaces are taken up by extra ammo, armor, troops, weapons, and engines.
Main Engine: 2 Fusion Reactors, average life span is 20 years
Market Price: Not available
- Five-inch Cannon Turrets (2): The ship mounts a five inch gun on the bow and stern of the vessel. The guns are very reliable although it fires at a relatively slow rate (20 rounds per minute). Standard cannon used on US warships. Uses a special ammo that uses the new Robotech heavier warheads. The guns can be used against other ships, against ground targets, and against aircraft. The five inch guns can also use rocket assisted projectiles for extended range.
- GE/GD 20mm/76 Phalanx 6-barreled [Mk-15] (2): The ship has two mounts on the superstructure with one in front and one over the hanger. The system was designed before the SDF-1 crashed and the weapon system used for ship defense. Weapon system now uses new ammo types that allow weapon to do enough M.D.C. to destroy the new missiles types. While the system can be used against ships, it is normally used against missile or aircraft. Each Turret can rotate 360 and has a 180 arc of fire. Each autocannon can fire on automatic at up to six targets per melee (Has +3 to strike missiles and +2 to strike aircraft).
- Four (4) MK 41 Strategic Vertical Launch Missile Launchers: All four launchers have 64 cells for the provision of missiles. Original missiles used in launcher include the Tomahawk cruise missile and the SM-2 missile. Tomahawks have been updated with heavier warheads but the SM-2 missiles that the launcher was originally designed for are much larger than the present long range missiles carried in the launcher but it was simpler to retain the same launcher and simply converted to launch standard long range and medium range missiles. Each cell can carry one Tomahawk, two long range missiles, or four medium range missile. Long range missiles are normally used against large targets and aircraft further out where the medium range missiles will normally be used to engage closer targets.
- Long Range Missile Launchers (16): These launchers are special canisters that are located directly in front of the superstructure of the ship. These canisters were copied from Old United States Harpoon canister launchers. While the launchers are reusable, they are still inexpensive and are easily jettisoned. While any long range missile type can be carried, usually special surface skimming missiles will be carried in launchers and are used against surface targets only.
- GDC Mk 49 Rolling Airframe Missile Quad Launchers (2): One is located on either side of the strike cruiser's superstructure. These are Pre Global War RAM missile launching system and has been modified to use 21 Short Range Missiles. This missile mounts main purpose is for inner anti-missile point defense and was originally designed to deal with cruise missiles . Short Range Missiles are usually a mixture of 50% Armor Piercing and 50% Plasma. Launchers can lock onto multiple targets at the same. The systems missile launchers can target up four targets and can fire a volley up to twice per melee.
- Two (2) Torpedo Launchers: There is one launcher on each side of the ship. Each torpedo launcher has 3 torpedo tubes and tubes are 12.75 in (324 mm) wide. Torpedoes are normally used against submarines but can be targeted on surface targets as well. Ship carries 60 reloads for torpedoes. Treat warheads as medium range missile warheads.
Maximum Effective Range: 12 miles (10.4 nautical miles/19.3 km) for standard projectiles, 20 miles (17.4 nautical miles/32.2 km) for rocket propelled rounds.
Mega-Damage: Standard Projectiles: 1D6x10 to a blast radius of 25 ft (7.7 m) for High Explosive and 2D4x10 to a blast radius of 6 ft (2 m) for High Explosive Armor Piercing. Rocket projectiles: 1D4x10 to a blast radius of 20 ft (6.1 m) for High Explosive and 1D6x10 to a blast radius of 4 ft (1.2 m) for High Explosive Armor Piercing. Cannons can also use special purpose warheads, use the statistics for 105 mm artillery warheads (standard or rocket assisted as appropriate) for Rifts (Go to Battlefield Artillery for Rifts) and reducing damages by about half.
Rate of Fire: Five shots per cannon per melee.
Payload: 600 rounds per mount. Each mount normally carries usually carries 200 High Explosive, 200 High Explosive Armor Piercing, 100 Rocket Propelled High Explosive, and 100 Rocket Propelled High Explosive Armor Piercing. The ship will carry special rounds when employed in artillery roles.
Maximum Effective Range: 5,000 feet (1524 meters)
Mega-Damage: 4D6 for a burst of 60 round (1 for each round but gun always fires in bursts).
Rate of Fire: Six bursts per melee for each mount (Has +3 to strike missiles and +2 to strike aircraft).
Payload: 600 rounds (10 bursts) each. Ship carries an additional 18,000 rounds of ammunition in magazines. Autocannon requires 2 minutes (8 melees) to reload by properly trained personnel (Double for untrained crews).
Maximum Effective Range: As per missile type. See long or medium range missile types (See Robotech RPG book) or Tomahawk missile for more details.
Mega Damage: As per missile type. See long or medium range missile types (See Robotech RPG book) or RDF Tomahawk missile for more details.
Rate of Fire: One at a time or in volleys of 2, 4, 16, 32, or 64 for all four launchers per melee and can be fired at multiple target at the same time.
Payload: 64 cells missiles in each launcher (possible total of 512 long range missiles). Two long range missiles or four medium range missiles may be carried per cell. The ship will often carry 8 cells (32 Cells / Tomahawk Missiles total) in each launcher with Tomahawks, 16 cells in each launcher filled with medium range missiles (64 Cells / 256 Medium Range Missiles total), and 40 cells in each launcher filled with long range missiles (160 Cells / 320 Long Range Missiles total.)
Maximum Effective Range: As per long range missile type (Surface skimming missiles have 25% less range than normal long range missile, See Robotech RPG book).
Mega Damage: As per long range missile type (See Robotech RPG book).
Rate of Fire: One at a time or in volley of two, four, eight, or sixteen (All launcher operates together)
Payload: 1 missiles each launcher for a grand total of 16 long range missiles (Has no missiles in storage for reloads).
Maximum Effective Range: As per short range missile type (See Robotech RPG book).
Mega Damage: As per short range missile type (See Robotech RPG book).
Rate of Fire: One at a time or in volley of two or four and can be used up to twice per melee per mount
Payload: 21 missiles each mount.
Maximum Effective Range: 20 miles (32 km)
Mega Damage: Treat warheads as medium range missile warheads (See Robotech RPG book).
Rate of Fire: One at a time or in volleys of 2, or 3 per side, Reloading takes 1 full melee
Payload: 3 torpedo each launcher for a grand total of 6 torpedo (Has 60 torpedoes for reloads).
The ship has all systems standard on a Destroid plus the following special features:
- SPS-49 Radar: Long range air search radar system. Radar system has a range of 445 nautical miles (512.1 miles / 824.1 km). Radar system can track up to 128 targets simultaneously.
- SPY-1D Phased Array Radar: Powerful and flexible pre-SDF radar system that is comprised of four panels that each emit radar waves. If allowed by the horizon, the system can track out to 175 nautical miles (201.4 miles / 324.1 km) and can simultaneously track and identify up to 288 targets at one time. The system controls missile launched from the long range missile launchers and the system track and guide each individual missile to a individual target for up to 96 targets. If a target is eliminated, missiles are automatically guided to a new target. The system can also control missiles launched from other linked vessels as well and can also act as fire control for gun mounts.
- SQS-53C Hull Sonar System: Mounted under the bow of the ship. Sonar system has a range of around 16 nautical miles (18.4 miles / 29.6 km). This hull sonar system has both a passive and active system built in. Sonar system can track up to 16 targets at one time.
- Radar Defeating Profile: The ship superstructure is designed so that the radar profile of the ship is reduced. Because of this, attempts to detect the ship using radar are made with a -10% penalty to read sensor rolls when attempting to detect this ship.
- E.S.M.: The system can detect another radar system at 125% of the range of the transmitting radar.
[ EBSIS TM, Mega-Damage TM, Rifter TM, and S.D.C. TM are trademarks owned by Kevin Siembieda and Palladium Books Inc. ]
[ Beyond the Supernatural®, Heroes Unlimited®, Nightbane®, Ninjas & Superspies®, Palladium Fantasy®, and Rifts® are registered trademarks owned by Kevin Siembieda and Palladium Books Inc. ]
[ Macross®, Robotech®, Robotech: Sentinels®, SDF-1®, Southern Cross®, and Zentraedi® are registered trademarks owned and licensed by Harmony Gold USA, Inc. ]
Writeup by Kitsune (E-Mail Kitsune).
Copyright © 2002 & 2010, Kitsune. All rights reserved.